Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Misery Signals -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014
Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014
Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Boris -- Santa Cruz, CA -- August 21st, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Misinformation and Propaganda

Old 07-01-2007, 10:21 PM
Director, Set List Intelligence

Universal in Dispute With Apple Over iTunes

Source: New York Times

According to the New York Times, Universal isn't renewing its annual music contract with Apple for the iTunes music store. Instead, it wants some sort of "at will" arrangement. Apple is a growing power (#3 behind Walmart and Best Buy) in music retailing, so Universal is starting to give them a different kind of business.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:49 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

Can someone explain what the point of paying for music on the net is? I can understand wanting a physical copy of an album, but paying for mp3's just seems dumb.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
Can someone explain what the point of paying for music on the net is? I can understand wanting a physical copy of an album, but paying for mp3's just seems dumb.
Hooliganizing music via the internet is illegal in most places. That's a pretty good reason right there.

Availability is a big one. It can be hard to find a particular album locally. Sure, a rarity can be ordered but often it's at greater expense and hassle.

Price is another. I have purchased albums off iTunes for $8 that would cost me $14 for a physical cd. I buy enough music that I try to stretch my dollars where I can no matter whether I'm shopping new, itunes, or the used bin.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:25 AM
Regretting my username

I think bargaining for cheaper and cheaper sources of music cheapens the music itself....

"I paid $17 bucks for the new My Dying Bride. Its great."
"Yeah, well...I paid 99 cents for the new Nelly Furtado single."

i dont know what I am talking about....
Old 07-02-2007, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
I think bargaining for cheaper and cheaper sources of music cheapens the music itself....

"I paid $17 bucks for the new My Dying Bride. Its great."
"Yeah, well...I paid 99 cents for the new Nelly Furtado single."

i dont know what I am talking about....
This time, you don't.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:05 AM
Meanwhile, behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore...

Quote:
Totally agree with you. mp3s are sub-standard samples of music. Paying for them is ridiculous.

We've got a good debate about his here: http://jukebo.cx/archives/2007/06/14...lbums-for-ash/

Also, views from Ricky Warwick (The Almighty): http://jukebo.cx/archives/2007/04/15...nternet-45rpm/
And Bumblefoot (Guns N' Roses): http://jukebo.cx/archives/2007/05/10...le-into-a-car/

7/9 Pentagram
16/9 Richie Kotzen
19/9 Kamchatka

Last edited by ravenheart; 07-02-2007 at 06:10 AM.
Old 07-05-2007, 12:26 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

The entertainment industry's arguments are paper-thin and just about as ridiculous as saying home cooking will destroy the restaurant business.

They complained that VCRs would put Hollywood out of business years ago but they're still going strong. Maybe they need to rethink their approach to this and stop making the consumers the enemy. Gain back the consumers trust and they will be more eager to buy from them. I stopped buying records awhile ago, not because I didn't have the money but because the people I was giving money to are greedy scumbags who sue little children. All they have to do to turn this around is work with the consumers, give a lotto for free concert tickets, or t-shirts, or band interviews on the cd. How many schoolgirls would rush out and buy the latest Justin Timberlake CD if one of them had a "golden ticket" for a dinner date with him? Times change and the reason they're losing sales is because they won't change with them.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:34 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
The entertainment industry's arguments are paper-thin and just about as ridiculous as saying home cooking will destroy the restaurant business.

They complained that VCRs would put Hollywood out of business years ago but they're still going strong. Maybe they need to rethink their approach to this and stop making the consumers the enemy. Gain back the consumers trust and they will be more eager to buy from them. I stopped buying records awhile ago, not because I didn't have the money but because the people I was giving money to are greedy scumbags who sue little children. All they have to do to turn this around is work with the consumers, give a lotto for free concert tickets, or t-shirts, or band interviews on the cd. How many schoolgirls would rush out and buy the latest Justin Timberlake CD if one of them had a "golden ticket" for a dinner date with him? Times change and the reason they're losing sales is because they won't change with them.
I agree, sorta.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:23 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
How many schoolgirls would rush out and buy the latest Justin Timberlake CD if one of them had a "golden ticket" for a dinner date with him? Times change and the reason they're losing sales is because they won't change with them.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:56 PM
We're dying on the inside

I still buy music all the time. No desire to "stick it to the industry" will ever let me compromise my love for record buying. Just my opinion, and don't try to argue with it, because I'm sure you have way more points and arguments and I would fail. It's just how I roll.