Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Electric Light Orchestra -- London, England -- September 14th, 2014
Skeletonwitch -- West Springfield, VA -- September 12th, 2014
KISS -- Lake Oswego, OR -- September 14th, 2014
Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014
King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 05-16-2013, 06:12 PM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCheeseWedge View Post
Because I was only 17 and listened to strictly traditional metal at that point: Black Sabbath, Dio, Iron Maiden, Queensryche, Judas Priest, etc. Later that year I bought my first Megadeth album, and not long after even Anthrax, who I enjoy just fine now.

When I was younger, I gave a lot of things bad reviews simply because I hadn't been exposed to stuff yet. But to be honest, if you don't like thrash metal, 60 minutes of loud in your face thrash is kind of a drag. That's where I was at 17. By 18, I wouldn't have complained about Anthrax
And more to your point, it was 2004, not 2013... the internet wasn't exactly what it is now. You didn't have every single band at your fingertips. In a lot of ways I think it was better that way. Anyway, I miss Dio. I saw him live three times, once solo and twice with H&H, and that little dude could fucking wail. I still get chills listening to certain songs sung by RJD.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:37 AM
Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCheeseWedge View Post
Yeah Did you see Heaven & Hell though? Because man, they were fucking sick too

But with the solo band, he definitely played more intimate venues.
They don't get any more intimate than a bar in Pocatello, Idaho where I saw Dio back in '94 on the Strange Highways tour. I was glad someone was actually coming to that small nowhere town that I lived in then, which had been ignored by everyone (and still is to this day) since the '80s. Great show, I wish I hadn't got quite so hammered at it though. I recall he opened with Jesus, Mary and the Holy Ghost and hit all the classics.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:43 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

I Saw Heaven & Hell on the Metal Masters tour. Twas fun, but Priest were better.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:07 AM
May you go marching in three-measure time, dressed up as asses and drunk to the nines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
I Saw Heaven & Hell on the Metal Masters tour. Twas fun, but Priest were better.
Really? When I saw that tour, H&H blew Priest right off the stage!
Old 05-17-2013, 09:25 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Nah, they played the lame Time Machine. Out of all the great songs from Dehumanizer, you pick that one? Really?

Plus Priest had played their rarities set that evening.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:04 AM
The Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecking Crew View Post
They don't get any more intimate than a bar in Pocatello, Idaho where I saw Dio back in '94 on the Strange Highways tour. I was glad someone was actually coming to that small nowhere town that I lived in then, which had been ignored by everyone (and still is to this day) since the '80s. Great show, I wish I hadn't got quite so hammered at it though. I recall he opened with Jesus, Mary and the Holy Ghost and hit all the classics.
Damn, that's awesome. I actually really like Strange Highways. That was an interesting era for Dio. Sounds like an awesome experience.

Anyways, as for the Judas Priest/H&H thing, I didn't see the Metal Masters tour, but I will say the H&H 2007 set list was better, in my opinion. Dropping "Computer God" and "After All" for "Time Machine" is not a great move...

Last edited by EvilCheeseWedge; 05-17-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:35 PM
Did somebody say Fair Warning? Lord strike that poor boy down!

I saw him at a place that maybe held 800 people for the Angry Machines tour (which was 1996). It was packed but we stood 4-5 feet from the stage. it mas magica (see what I did there). The best part was that he recorded it and put it out on CD. Here's the entire show! It was a killer set!!

Track listing for Dio: Inferno - Last In Live

All lyrics written by Ronnie James Dio, music as stated.
Disc one
No. Title Length
1. "Intro" 1:36
2. "Jesus, Mary & the Holy Ghost" (Ronnie James Dio, Tracy G, Jeff Pilson) 3:27
3. "Straight Through the Heart" (Dio, Jimmy Bain) 5:48
4. "Don't Talk to Strangers" (Dio) 6:03
5. "Holy Diver" (Dio) 4:59
6. "Drum Solo" 4:02
7. "Heaven and Hell" (Dio, Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler, Bill Ward) 7:29
8. "Double Monday" (Dio, G, Vinny Appice) 3:18
9. "Stand Up and Shout" (Dio, Bain) 4:08
10. "Hunter of the Heart" (Dio, G, Appice) 5:15
Disc two
No. Title Length
1. "Mistreated/Catch the Rainbow" (Ritchie Blackmore/David Coverdale; Dio/Blackmore) 10:11
2. "Guitar Solo" 3:39
3. "The Last in Line" (Dio, Vivian Campbell, Bain) 6:54
4. "Rainbow in the Dark" (Dio, Campbell, Bain, Appice) 4:56
5. "The Mob Rules" (Dio, Butler, Iommi) 3:37
6. "Man on the Silver Mountain" (Dio, Blackmore) 2:11
7. "Long Live Rock and Roll" (Dio, Blackmore) 4:14
8. "We Rock" (Dio) 5:40

Actual you tube's of show...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KvheTyErnw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye43ZiNPtS8

Last edited by bennythedog; 05-17-2013 at 12:53 PM. Reason: added track listing
Old 05-17-2013, 01:17 PM
Director, Set List Intelligence

1. Master Of Moon Tour... I can still see images of Dio in my head from his Anaheim show ... I still listen to the cd a lot ... very good memories... Anthax on the other hand... the memories that stuck with me later.. the mighty Anthrax with very little stage to work with (as the 2nd opener on the bill.. Fireball Ministry, being the first ) .. plus I remember the silly pentagram shirts they were wearing (posing with) .. like Anthrax is evil at all.

2. Heaven & Hell w/ Judas Priest...one of my unwritten shows probably ... I remember H&H being the highlight of my night, way more than the Judas Priest set. I was somewhere down front down at Shoreline Amphitheater .. center section (102) in like the 3rd or 4th row ... watching Geezer for a hour that close was like a master bass class ... plus it 4 or 5 years since the Master Of The Moon .. so I was definitely missing Dio at that point. Same reaction as others.. how the hell could this little smiling guy do what he did? Totally miss Dio.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:32 PM
TiradesOfTruth

Awesome review! But I can't stand Harpos anymore lol
8/9 Boris
8/30 Morbid Saint/Vektor
Old 05-17-2013, 05:00 PM
7 Holy Paths To Hell And Your Trip Begins...

I saw him 9 times, all solo.. they were all really amazing in their own way... one thing I can say that is the most amazing thing for me he ever did, was stealing a show from the mighty Iron Maiden.

it was on the Metal Mania tour (The Virtual 11 tour) , in the summer of 1998,bill was supossed to be Dirty Deeds (a Steve Harris promoted band), W.A.S.P. , Dio and Maiden, pretty good line-up uhh ... but Blackie never showed up, they pretended a border problem or something... what a jackass ... anyway, that night was all Dio ... I was there for Maiden of course but man did he outstaged them,... he and the band was amazing... He came on and it was pourring rain (it was an outside show at a tennis stadium) then after a few amazing songs the intro to Children Of The Sea started and I swear to god there was a ray of sunshine that perce the sky and went right at him, shivers down the spine moment, it was magic...he was signing it so pÍrfectly ...

anyway, that was such an amazing show... and then Maiden came on with Blaze and after the blistering opening song (Futureal) wow that was promising... then ,, yeah ... there we were, 10 minutes of ''Don't You Think I Can Save Your ...'' ...

yeah Dio was great that night

didn't catch a H&H show

but my favourite Dio show has to be the Sacred Heart tour in '85 at the old Montreal Forum. In the league of the Maiden, Priest and Sabbath at the time as far as production goes, giant Crystal Ball, the big castle and the Dragon, giant spider ... the lazers ... ect ... plus all those awesomes songs... wow that was an awesome show, still my favourite Dio gig I ever saw

setlist was short but stellar
  1. Like the Beat of a Heart
    2. Don't Talk to Strangers
    3. Hungry for Heaven
    4. The Last in Line
    5. Holy Diver
    6. Heaven and Hell
    7. Sacred Heart
    8. Rock 'n' Roll Children
    9. Long Live Rock 'n' Roll
    10. Man on the Silver Mountain
    11. Stand Up and Shout