Cheap Trick -- Boston, MA -- August 27th, 2014
Misery Signals -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014
Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014
Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 07-14-2009, 12:22 PM
welp

Judas Priest - Victim Of Changes. Fucking amazing live.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:38 PM
We're dying on the inside

Alright, here's me trying to do this after attending many, many shows and seeing more songs than I can count. I'll be keeping it reasonable for the sake of brevity:

Queensryche- Eyes of a Stranger- Saw this twice on two different Operation: Mindcrime themed tours and Geoff in the makeshift straight jacket singing this with such Shakespearean agony was too fucking much.
Kenoma- 1913- I've seen them do this song three times now (and hopefully a fourth next month when I see them play with Giant Squid) and it is the most passion-filled, emotional instrumental I can think of. The first time they did it a thunderstorm was going on behind them and was visible through a window, the second time it was at the best show I've ever been to in Troy's defunct basement venue, and the third time I shot a video for it.
Opeth- Deliverance- They've done it three of the five times I've seen them and despite the fact that it made me long for Martin Lopez to be back in the band, that off-kilter outro is mindblowing to see performed live.
Mastodon- Blood and Thunder- Both times. Never have I been more sure my vocal cords wouldn't work than after screaming every fucking word of this song at the top of my lungs (which I split with blood and thunder when I saw the white whale, mind you). Fuck yes.
Clutch- Burning Beard, Spacegrass, Animal Farm- Burning Beard three times, Spacegrass and Animal Farm just once apiece. Two of the Burning Beard performances were as set openers, and it is the best set opener I've ever seen by any band. Spacegrass was an incredible surprise and expanded the crowd's collective mind (and opened its collective dimebags), and Animal Farm was a fast, furious set closer that rivals Blood and Thunder for its destruction of my vocal cords.
Heaven and Hell- Heaven and Hell- Both times, but moreso from the headlining show where I was front row than the Metal Masters show where I was back row. I do think that the extended version they play live could stand to have some fat shaved off, but to hear that riff and those lyrics and watch Tony Iommi and Ronnie James Dio stand up there, legends as they are, is impossible not to love.
Porcupine Tree- Anesthetize- I didn't honestly think they'd play the full song fighting against venue curfew, but all seventeen-plus minutes of this modern prog masterpiece were unbelievable and moving and the footage they went with for the onstage screen was brilliantly chosen. Ask Eric, he was there.
Iron Maiden- Aces High, Hallowed Be Thy Name- Both times I saw them they played both of these (same tour, duh) and they make the best one-two punch of set opener and encore closer ever. They are both just as amazing as they are on those classic records and Hallowed made me cry a tear or two, it was so fucking beautiful. Best song ever, no joke. Note- Everything else they played was just as good.
Flogging Molly- The Seven Deadly Sins- As a general rule, I don't mosh. I think it's kind of lame and annoying. But during this song, I raged in an adrenaline-fueled rampage around the pit (which was more br00tal than any metal pit I've ever seen, by the way). If it's even possible, I think they played it faster than on record. Such a good song, and a great concert moment for me personally.
Judas Priest- Painkiller, Hell Patrol, Between the Hammer and the Anvil- They did three of my favorite songs from their best album and totally maintained the awesomeness and swagger from 1990, even playing them as fast as before. Halford managed to hit 90% of the notes without dropping his voice from the recordings too. True metal heaven.
Carcass- Keep on Rotting in the Free World- Huh? They had all those awesome, groundbreaking albums that defined their respective genres (goregrind, tech death, and melodic death metal, I'm looking at you), why would you pick the lone song they played off of their "commercial" record? Because Jeff Walker made it the best song of the night. He hilariously introduced it as "cock rock" and Ken Owen's fill-in added cowbell to the intro. Also, that groove is too fucking fat. This was the highlight of a consistently excellent set by the greatest death metal band of all time.

This is leaving out so much but it already feels exhaustive. So yeah, those are my top sixteen I guess.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Carcass- Keep on Rotting in the Free World- Huh? They had all those awesome, groundbreaking albums that defined their respective genres (goregrind, tech death, and melodic death metal, I'm looking at you), why would you pick the lone song they played off of their "commercial" record? Because Jeff Walker made it the best song of the night. He hilariously introduced it as "cock rock" and Ken Owen's fill-in added cowbell to the intro. Also, that groove is too fucking fat. This was the highlight of a consistently excellent set by the greatest death metal band of all time.

Intriguing.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:48 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
Intriguing.
If there's a half-decent YouTube version of them playing it live since the reunion, I'd suggest checking it out.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:03 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Swansong, despite not really sounding like Carcass, does have a few kickass tunes, one of which is Keep on Rotting.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:42 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

Black Sabbath - War Pigs (2004)
Meshuggah - Bleed (2nd time, 2009)
High on Fire - Cometh Down Hessian (Gigantour)
Mastodon - Iron Tusk/March of the Fire Ants (Mayhem Fest)
Van Halen - I'm the One
Iron Maiden - Rime

Quote:
Originally Posted by makethemsuffer12 View Post
Judas Priest - Victim Of Changes. Fucking amazing live.
I really think I am gonna pee a little when I finally get to see it.

Last edited by TonyD; 07-14-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:06 PM
welp

Dude, it's beyond epic.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:22 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
Van Halen - I'm the One

I hate you...and your family.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:22 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA View Post
I hate you...and your family.

And what does that have to do with Van Halen?
Old 07-15-2009, 07:10 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post

And what does that have to do with Van Halen?
Because that song sends me into a killing frenzy. It's fucking golden.