Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014
Overkill -- West Springfield, VA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA Kick-Off -- Atlanta, GA -- September 11th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 2 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 13th, 2014
ProgPower USA XV Day 1 -- Atlanta, GA -- September 12th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Misinformation and Propaganda

Old 06-17-2007, 03:55 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_turkey_ed View Post
Maybe we should do away with age restrictions on the sale of alcoholic beverages. After all, it's the parent's responsbility to decide what their kids drink. Ditto with cigarettes. Right after those, we should do away from legal mandates requiring education. After all, it's the parent's responsibility on what kids learn or don't learn.
Give me a fucking break. It's obvious that harmful things like cigarettes and alcohol should be kept from children, and that they should be educated. Don't give me that kind of bullshit "slippery slope" argument. But when it comes to things that are more of a gray area in terms of their effects on children, like "offensive" music, video games, movies, and TV shows, it's the parents' responsibility to decide whether their children are old enough to understand it, and, if necessary, explain to them the difference between artistic fantasy and reality.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:11 PM
Director, Set List Intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
Give me a fucking break. It's obvious that harmful things like cigarettes and alcohol should be kept from children, and that they should be educated. Don't give me that kind of bullshit "slippery slope" argument. But when it comes to things that are more of a gray area in terms of their effects on children, like "offensive" music, video games, movies, and TV shows, it's the parents' responsibility to decide whether their children are old enough to understand it, and, if necessary, explain to them the difference between artistic fantasy and reality.
Thanks. We agree that society can place restrictions above that a parent can do alone. Parents can only do so much on their own but collectively can do a lot more together. I'd glad we're on the same page.

So now it's only a question of what's dangerous. What's so wrong then with placing restrictions on the grey areas -- we can debate on the specifics of the area -- such that the parents have to make the purchase and give them to their kids?
Old 06-17-2007, 04:32 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

Don't these albums already have parental warning labels on them?
Old 06-17-2007, 05:23 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_turkey_ed View Post
Thanks. We agree that society can place restrictions above that a parent can do alone. Parents can only do so much on their own but collectively can do a lot more together. I'd glad we're on the same page.

So now it's only a question of what's dangerous. What's so wrong then with placing restrictions on the grey areas -- we can debate on the specifics of the area -- such that the parents have to make the purchase and give them to their kids?
This does happen all the time, and I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. But they should not have to. It's eerily Orwellian to be unable to buy what you want in a record store because you aren't a certain type of person (in this case, a person of a certain age).
Old 06-17-2007, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_turkey_ed
If we're going to do that, than we have a lot of work to do figuring out what's acceptable and what's not. This country's priorities are absolutely fucked up when it comes to what's considered offensive. The bombing of Baghdad to start the Iraq war was cheered on and treated like a fucking fireworks display, but half the country cried out in horror when they accidently showed Janet Jackson's tit for a hundredth of a second. You can't show female nudity or say "fuck," but if you show people getting tortured, you can have the highest rated show on television. So, it gets me twisted up when people decide for me what is acceptable for children. That's bullshit.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:44 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
If we're going to do that, than we have a lot of work to do figuring out what's acceptable and what's not. This country's priorities are absolutely fucked up when it comes to what's considered offensive. The bombing of Baghdad to start the Iraq war was cheered on and treated like a fucking fireworks display, but half the country cried out in horror when they accidently showed Janet Jackson's tit for a hundredth of a second. You can't show female nudity or say "fuck," but if you show people getting tortured, you can have the highest rated show on television. So, it gets me twisted up when people decide for me what is acceptable for children. That's bullshit.
Oh yeah, very nice
Old 06-17-2007, 06:24 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
This does happen all the time, and I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. But they should not have to. It's eerily Orwellian to be unable to buy what you want in a record store because you aren't a certain type of person (in this case, a person of a certain age).

Dude we certainly need age restrictions on certain products. If I make a videogame for 18yr olds I sure as hell won't be making considerations for 12yr olds. Same thing with music, if someone makes a record intended for a mature audience than guess who shouldn't be able to purchase it? If a parent wants to buy it for their kid it's their call, but I don't agree with having kids go into stores and buy adult content.

That's why they need to have content warning labels on a product not intended (by the artist, not some overpaid PTA committee) for a young audience.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
(by the artist, not some overpaid PTA committee)
YES. This is a key point.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:30 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
Dude we certainly need age restrictions on certain products. If I make a videogame for 18yr olds I sure as hell won't be making considerations for 12yr olds. Same thing with music, if someone makes a record intended for a mature audience than guess who shouldn't be able to purchase it? If a parent wants to buy it for their kid it's their call, but I don't agree with having kids go into stores and buy adult content.

That's why they need to have content warning labels on a product not intended (by the artist, not some overpaid PTA committee) for a young audience.
You're probably right, but coming from you, encouragement of censorship is fucking hilarious
Old 06-17-2007, 07:07 PM
Director, Set List Intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Kids don't have the same rights as an adult. Is it also Orwellian that some of them have a bed time?