Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Misinformation and Propaganda

Old 06-17-2007, 09:24 AM
Hearts I Rip?

Angry

Satan.

Rearranged gives...

Santa.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:33 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelripper View Post
Satan.

Rearranged gives...

Santa.

I JUST GOT GOOSEBUMPS
Old 06-17-2007, 01:49 PM
Director, Set List Intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by overkiller View Post
I'd like to see some cold, hard evidence for this.

Cause I think you're full of shit.
I already know you think I'm full of shit. I could assert that the sky is blue and you'd be a dick about it, just for the sake of being a dick.

To your point, talk to Bouville. Ask him about the kid we met at Iced Earth. He can verify what I have related in this thread. You might also ask him about his own experiences, if he is willing to share them with you.

Do you really lack the common sense to be so oblivious to the influences of hate and violence, especially on the unstable? Or to the effect of music on an individual's mood? Maybe you're just being a dick again. Anyway, here are a couple references to reinforce the obvious:

Radcoy, R., & Boyle, J. (1997). Psychological Foundations of Musical Behavior (3rd ed.). Springfield: Charles C. Thomas

Ballard, M., & Coates, S. (1995). The immediate effects of homicidal, suicidal, and nonviolent heavy metal and rap songs on the moods of college students. Youth and Society, 27, 148-168.

Last edited by hot_turkey_ed; 06-17-2007 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:41 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_turkey_ed View Post
I already know you think I'm full of shit. I could assert that the sky is blue and you'd be a dick about it, just for the sake of being a dick.

To your point, talk to Bouville. Ask him about the kid we met at Iced Earth. He can verify what I have related in this thread. You might also ask him about his own experiences, if he is willing to share them with you.

Do you really lack the common sense to be so oblivious to the influences of hate and violence, especially on the unstable? Or to the effect of music on an individual's mood? Maybe you're just being a dick again. Anyway, here are a couple references to reinforce the obvious:

Radcoy, R., & Boyle, J. (1997). Psychological Foundations of Musical Behavior (3rd ed.). Springfield: Charles C. Thomas

Ballard, M., & Coates, S. (1995). The immediate effects of homicidal, suicidal, and nonviolent heavy metal and rap songs on the moods of college students. Youth and Society, 27, 148-168.
Here's the deal. I see hate and violence and a pretty fucking unavoidable element of the human experience, and simply ignoring it and/or censoring whatever you believe to inflame it doesn't solve anything. If you want to pretend like death, violence, hatred, murder, racism, sexism, genocide, and all the other great stuff humans are capable of just isn't real, fine, be my guest, but I think you're really just opting for ignorance and thereby removing a big part of what it is to be human. Suffering is necessary, and it inspires art. I'd rather have that and embrace it as a part of existence than live in a fantasy world where people like you would have offensive material censored because it might adversely affect "the unstable".

And just so I have a little bit of backup on this (because I know you wouldn't take my views seriously), I've always liked this quote, and I feel it's a strong affirmation of the very amoral nature of metal lyrics:

"Let death and exile and everything that is terrible appear before your eyes every day, especially death; and you will never have anything contemptible in your thoughts or crave anything excessively." -- Epictetus, The Encheiridion 21

Last edited by overkiller; 06-17-2007 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overkiller View Post
Here's the deal. I see hate and violence and a pretty fucking unavoidable element of the human experience, and simply ignoring it and/or censoring whatever you believe to inflame it doesn't solve anything. If you want to pretend like death, violence, hatred, murder, racism, sexism, genocide, and all the other great stuff humans are capable of just isn't real, fine, be my guest, but I think you're really just opting for ignorance and thereby removing a big part of what it is to be human. Suffering is necessary, and it inspires art. I'd rather have that and embrace it as a part of existence than live in a fantasy world where people like you would have offensive material censored because it might adversely affect "the unstable".

And just so I have a little bit of backup on this (because I know you wouldn't take my views seriously), I've always liked this quote, and I feel it's a strong affirmation of the very amoral nature of metal lyrics:

"Let death and exile and everything that is terrible appear before your eyes every day, especially death; and you will never have anything contemptible in your thoughts or crave anything excessively." -- Epictetus, The Encheiridion 21)
You're correct that I do advocate a degree of censorship but it would be primarily toward youth rather than adults. I'm not advocating ignorance nor obsession. Existential suffering has a way of making itself known, regardless of our feelings on the matter. However, the primary focus on this thread goes further than death metal topics or dark expression in the arts.

Quote:
The question on the tables isn't Behemoth.... it's really whether the occult and satanism are helpful and healthy, for our youth or anyone else. One doesn't have to be Christian or particular religious to appreciate the hate and negativity inherent in blackened genres can be extremely harmful to an individual's mental health, certain spiritually corrosive, especially to those lacking an otherwise stable anchor in life.
That's the point you called bullshit on... and your response doesn't really contest my assertion that the hate and negativity in blackened genres can have adverse consequences.

Last edited by hot_turkey_ed; 06-17-2007 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:25 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

If you're going to discipline yourself into a religious school than satanism is a pretty retarted choice. Pretty much all the other ones offer some kind of continued existence or enlightenment, whereas in satanism (the le vay kind anyway) you just die and thats it. If that's the case you might aswell just do whatever you want in life and not be bound to any religious rules at all. Not only that, but the whole concept just sounds nerdy, "If someone annoys you, DESTROY them!" ...yea, ok Dr Doom
Old 06-17-2007, 03:26 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
"If someone annoys you, DESTROY them!"
Old 06-17-2007, 03:33 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

Quote:
You're correct that I do advocate a degree of censorship but it would be primarily toward youth rather than adults.
It's the job of parents to decide what their kids should or should not hear, PERIOD.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:54 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
It's the job of parents to decide what their kids should or should not hear, PERIOD.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
Maybe we should do away with age restrictions on the sale of alcoholic beverages. After all, it's the parent's responsbility to decide what their kids drink. Ditto with cigarettes. Right after those, we should do away from legal mandates requiring education. After all, it's the parent's responsibility on what kids learn or don't learn.