Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Ghost -- Toronto, ON -- April 17, 2014
Rainbow Bar & Grill 42nd Anniversary -- West Hollywood, CA -- April 13, 2014
The Goddamn Gallows -- Long Beach, CA -- April 16th, 2014
Unearth -- Ottawa, Ontario -- April 15th, 2014
Black Sabbath -- Ottawa, Ontario -- April 13th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Misinformation and Propaganda

Old 06-16-2007, 10:07 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_turkey_ed View Post
Can we agree that satansim involves a certain degree of misanthropy?
I think it has a lot more to do with denying and rejecting tenets of Christianity that are flawed and/or hypocritical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD
I'm pretty sure Satanism values the self above all else
Exactly. And to a certain degree, I don't see anything wrong with that. It's mostly about enjoying the life that you lead without having some invisible man in the sky tell you what you can and can't do.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:08 PM
Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa

I always saw it as an embracing of the individual in rebellion to other religion's preoccupations with an abstract idea of God.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:11 PM
Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post

Exactly. And to a certain degree, I don't see anything wrong with that. It's mostly about enjoying the life that you lead without having some invisible man in the sky tell you what you can and can't do.
Yup. Where it can go awry is then people don't take into consideration others at all, so life can be very self-centered. But I mean a lot of the more intellectual Satanists out there seem to get this principle pretty well. It could also be argued that we all act out of our own selfishness all the time, even when helping others, because subconsciously we gain satisfaction from doing so.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:12 PM
Director, Set List Intelligence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
What Ed is trying to stress is maybe the fact that these kids don't have any clue about what "actual" Satanism is about, as many people who really believe in it from a spiritual sense are what we'd consider pretty normal people I guess (take King Diamond for instance). Faith is not unhealthy if you really feel a connection to it, which is the purpose. Lots of people just are drawn to the dark or occult imagery and things because as Ed said they don't have anything goin for them in their lives and its against mainstream society in a lot of ways. Even the most popular metalcore bands we all point to and they're supposedly "trendy" fans really aren't a part of mainstream culture to a huge extent; they still see themselves on the outside. Real Satanism, like real Christianity, or real Islam, or whatever faith practice, takes some self-affirmation and is much more than just a crutch or an image to hide under.
That's part of it. I don't think many of these kids have much a clue nor do I think they're quite prepared for what they're getting into. They're fucked up and need help. That's not a religious issue, just compassion for other people hurting... people that some satanic thought would deem worthless.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:12 PM
Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa

Quote:
That's part of it. I don't think many of these kids have much a clue nor do I think they're quite prepared for what they're getting into. They're fucked up and need help. That's not a religious issue, just compassion for other people hurting... people that some satanic thought would deem worthless.
Exactly.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:24 PM
Blunts.

Quote:
Both of you have lost your perspective on how extreme our music actually is. Do you realize that many adults consider just the name Judas Priest an extreme expression?

You mention death metal peers. Have you forgotten how far death metal is from the top 40 billboard chart, much less Behemoth's blackened interpretation of the genre?

Blackened.... Read Behemoth's song titles. Read their lyrics. It's all there. In fact, remove the "blackened" from Behemoth and there's not much of a band left. In the context of the original report, 'blackened' music is very much the target.

The question on the tables isn't Behemoth.... it's really whether the occult and satanism are helpful and healthy, for our youth or anyone else. One doesn't have to be Christian or particular religious to appreciate the hate and negativity inherent in blackened genres can be extremely harmful to an individual's mental health, certain spiritually corrosive, especially to those lacking an otherwise stable anchor in life.

agreed.

but really, i dont remember there being a single gore/violence reference in demigod. Most of it was this wannabe-theological nonsense. Maybe their earlier stuff was worse, i dunno.

haha nevermind . . . i just went back and read them. There is definitely some violent overtones, but certainly no worse than judas priest or metallica or any of the big etal bands. They certainly arent anywhere near as bad as your average death metal band.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
I think it has a lot more to do with denying and rejecting tenets of Christianity that are flawed and/or hypocritical.

You don't need Satan(ism) to reject Christianity or God. Satanism brings A LOT of baggage to the table and goes much further that the point of self, especially as self relates to the rest of humanity. That's where the hate and misanthophy shine the darkest. Are you really going to deny these latter two values?
Old 06-16-2007, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalDrummer888 View Post
agreed.

but really, i dont remember there being a single gore/violence reference in demigod. Most of it was this wannabe-theological nonsense. Maybe their earlier stuff was worse, i dunno.

haha nevermind . . . i just went back and read them. There is definitely some violent overtones, but certainly no worse than judas priest or metallica or any of the big etal bands. They certainly arent anywhere near as bad as your average death metal band.
Neither Judas Priest nor Metallica have musical grounding in the occult. That makes them very different from Behemoth.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:21 AM
We're dying on the inside

Someone who is misguided enough can get fucked up by any religion, not just Satanism. Hell, some of the hardcore Jesus freak Christians I know are way scarier than satanists.
Old 06-17-2007, 08:18 AM
N00B

Quote:
The question on the tables isn't Behemoth.... it's really whether the occult and satanism are helpful and healthy, for our youth or anyone else. One doesn't have to be Christian or particular religious to appreciate the hate and negativity inherent in blackened genres can be extremely harmful to an individual's mental health, certain spiritually corrosive, especially to those lacking an otherwise stable anchor in life.
I'd like to see some cold, hard evidence for this.

Cause I think you're full of shit.