Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Misery Signals -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Rhapsody of Fire -- Cd. Obregon, Mex -- August 24th, 2014
Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014
Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014
Boris -- Santa Cruz, CA -- August 21st, 2014


Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Misinformation and Propaganda

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #101  
Old 06-18-2007, 06:45 PM
JRA's Avatar
JRA JRA is offline
Traditionalist Asshole
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 19,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
So you would restrict free speech to people who aren't, as you say, intellectuals?

Would you also like to make a master race comprised of them?
That sounds a hell of a lot better than a master race composed of people who's twin diety's are Adolf Hitler and Jesus Christ.

If a person has a well thought out, intelligent argument to make about, say...why Jesse Jackson is ruining racial relations in America, then sure let him say it. But if another person just stood on a street corner randomly yelling racial slurs at his own whim... or not even that, just someone on the street yelling "The Apocalypse is coming!" like a lunatic...then yes, lock his mouth up and throw away the key.


Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
"If we don't believe in free expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all."
-Noam Chomsky
Does that include all those people on Fox News that cried out in horror about Rage Against The Machine's performance whom you were bitching about on your blog?
__________________
He's like "yo give me yo insurance information!" and I'm like "I didn't hit you with no car, I hit you with this mack truck I call a fist!"
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 06-18-2007, 06:48 PM
powerslave_85's Avatar
powerslave_85 powerslave_85 is offline
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Burlington, VT
Posts: 10,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpeartjr. View Post
Does that include all those people on Fox News that cried out in horror about Rage Against The Machine's performance whom you were bitching about on your blog?
Uh, yeah, of course. I must have missed the part when I said that those people should have been stopped from saying what they did. Freedom of expression does not mean freedom from criticism. They're free to say what they want, and I'm just as free to call them out on it.
__________________
"COLONEL KLINK, WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME?!"
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 06-18-2007, 07:03 PM
Div's Avatar
Div Div is offline
cool babies, strange but not a stranger
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpeartjr. View Post
If a person has a well thought out, intelligent argument to make about, say...why Jesse Jackson is ruining racial relations in America, then sure let him say it. But if another person just stood on a street corner randomly yelling racial slurs at his own whim... or not even that, just someone on the street yelling "The Apocalypse is coming!" like a lunatic...then yes, lock his mouth up and throw away the key.


they have the right to say those things, as society has the right to label them as insane and shun them. getting people involved to police words is not a good idea, because sooner or later it will come back against you.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 06-18-2007, 07:04 PM
sylpriest's Avatar
sylpriest sylpriest is offline
Where all the white women at?
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Orlando
Posts: 1,055
Freedom?
yeah right
Freedom?
yeah right
FREEDOM!!!
YEAH RIGHT!!!!

__________________
Fight Fair...
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 06-18-2007, 07:04 PM
ChildrenofSodom's Avatar
ChildrenofSodom ChildrenofSodom is offline
Regretting my username
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 12,259
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
Oh come on now... are you really going that far as to defend satanism just to support black metal? You've got Jesus Christ listed as your personal hero on your myspace page for fucks sake. Maybe you should read some of the satanic laws and see that they promote death, violence, hatred and all that good stuff the black metal lyrics talk about.
I dont listen to black metal. BUT, I do not think free expression should be suppressed because of moral disagreement. I am not a Jesus Freak, dont play me off as one. I have read literature on Satanism, from the Church of Satan, and they specifically say not to harm anyone, or perform ceremonies with/on someone against their will. Maybe YOU should read some material on true Satanism, not Hollywood Devil Worship. Realize that it doesnt matter if you worship Set, Odin, Jesus, Shiva, Beelzebub, or whatever....you have the right to worship whoever you want, however you want, whenever you want, and you are free to tell other people about that.....It is a different matter of whether they listen to you or not....but as long as you are not causing any direct harm to them, you are not doing anything wrong.

It seems to me that these parent groups that try to shut Satanists up are so insecure with themselves, their own beliefs, and the mental capacity and moral judgment of their own children that they find it easier to silence the offenders, rather than a) ignoring them, or b) instructing their fucking kids that while diversity should be welcomed, violence and immorality in any form in unacceptable. IF THE PARENTS WERE DOING THEIR JOB, THEY WOULDNT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THEIR KIDS GOING OFF AND EXPERIMENTING WITH SEX, DRUGS, AND SATAN. If the parents can balance the indoctrination of a strong moral center and a sense of right and wrong, with a sense of personal privacy and independence, then I think the child will respect them more, and be less likely to follow the wrong path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
Uh, yeah, of course. I must have missed the part when I said that those people should have been stopped from saying what they did. Freedom of expression does not mean freedom from criticism. They're free to say what they want, and I'm just as free to call them out on it.
QFT

Last edited by ChildrenofSodom; 06-18-2007 at 07:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 06-18-2007, 07:13 PM
ChildrenofSodom's Avatar
ChildrenofSodom ChildrenofSodom is offline
Regretting my username
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 12,259
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_turkey_ed View Post
So you oppose groups such as Catholic Charities or Chabad?
No, but I think the majority of us oppose bombing abortion clinics and molesting altar boys (Christianity) and stoning pregnantout-of-wedlock women (Islam.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_turkey_ed View Post
Voltaire would probably just blame the Jews before making any comment.
I was going for: "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" (though he most likely never said that ) But yes, I do understand the irony of his two loves: freedom of speech and anti-semitism.
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 06-18-2007, 07:21 PM
Div's Avatar
Div Div is offline
cool babies, strange but not a stranger
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
I have read literature on Satanism, from the Church of Satan, and they specifically say not to harm anyone,
QFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChurchofSatan
If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat him cruelly and without mercy.

If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him.

Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it instead of love wasted on ingrates!

Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek!

Satan represents all of the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental, or emotional gratification!



hmmmm

Last edited by Div; 06-18-2007 at 07:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 06-18-2007, 07:43 PM
ChildrenofSodom's Avatar
ChildrenofSodom ChildrenofSodom is offline
Regretting my username
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 12,259
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
hmmmm
Quote:
The Church of Satan is very vocal in announcing its desire to see all criminals brought to swift and appropriate justice. The Church of Satan does not hesitate to expel members for engaging in illegal activity, or to cooperate with law enforcement to bring them to justice.
THOSE HEARTLESS SODOMITES!

it also seems you missed a few...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eleven Satanic Rules of the Earth

3. When in another’s lair, show him respect or else do not go there

5. Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.

6. Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the other person and he cries out to be relieved.

8. Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.

9. Do not harm little children.

10. Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.
I dont know why this has become a "Satanism is bad because...." argument. Mike, you of all people should be most infuriated that freedom of speech and press is being endangered. I dont support Satanism, but is it right for society to automatically label them as murderers and corrupt? It also saddens me that you, Mike, focused only on a small part of my argument (that all belief systems, at their core are harmless, only the believers are dangerous), and you ignored my "Parents need to tame their kids instead of meddling in other peoples busness" statement.

Last edited by ChildrenofSodom; 06-18-2007 at 07:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 06-18-2007, 07:51 PM
hot_turkey_ed's Avatar
hot_turkey_ed hot_turkey_ed is offline
Director, Set List Intelligence
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: California
Posts: 10,829
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
I dont listen to black metal. BUT, I do not think free expression should be suppressed because of moral disagreement. I am not a Jesus Freak, dont play me off as one. I have read literature on Satanism, from the Church of Satan, and they specifically say not to harm anyone, or perform ceremonies with/on someone against their will. Maybe YOU should read some material on true Satanism, not Hollywood Devil Worship. Realize that it doesnt matter if you worship Set, Odin, Jesus, Shiva, Beelzebub, or whatever....you have the right to worship whoever you want, however you want, whenever you want, and you are free to tell other people about that.....It is a different matter of whether they listen to you or not....but as long as you are not causing any direct harm to them, you are not doing anything wrong.

It seems to me that these parent groups that try to shut Satanists up are so insecure with themselves, their own beliefs, and the mental capacity and moral judgment of their own children that they find it easier to silence the offenders, rather than a) ignoring them, or b) instructing their fucking kids that while diversity should be welcomed, violence and immorality in any form in unacceptable. IF THE PARENTS WERE DOING THEIR JOB, THEY WOULDNT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THEIR KIDS GOING OFF AND EXPERIMENTING WITH SEX, DRUGS, AND SATAN. If the parents can balance the indoctrination of a strong moral center and a sense of right and wrong, with a sense of personal privacy and independence, then I think the child will respect them more, and be less likely to follow the wrong path.
True satanism? The Church Of Satan? Some form of theistic satanism? Some brand of gnosticism? Do tell.

Freedom of religion is a good thing, and I'd agree with you that to an extent, the object of worship doesn't matter. I'm more interested the values said worship represents. That's where the major religions tend to agree on macro-values that cross cultural lines. Satanism stands in opposition to those values. Parent groups try to shut down satanic groups because they understand these groups' values to be antithetical to those on which they are trying to raise their children.

You don't believe free expression should be suppressed out of moral disagreement? Ever heard of NAMBLA? The bullets on their web site sound very libetarian but are really about legalizing forms of pediphilia.
__________________
Jaco died for our sins so that modern bass players could be free to play more and be heard.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 06-18-2007, 07:53 PM
Div's Avatar
Div Div is offline
cool babies, strange but not a stranger
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
THOSE HEARTLESS SODOMITES!

it also seems you missed a few...



I dont know why this has become a "Satanism is bad because...." argument. Mike, you of all people should be most infuriated that freedom of speech and press is being endangered. I dont support Satanism, but is it right for society to automatically label them as murderers and corrupt?


I'm not gonna say they have no rights to worship satan or whatever, they can if they want as granted by our constitution, but im not going to sit here and read claims that satanism is great and it isn't immoral or harmful to children. if everyone here was a satanist we would have killed each other by now because satanic law deems we destroy those who annoy us. the church of satan actually opposes our first ammendment anyway, lobbying in support that the governemnt can tax churches.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:20 AM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008