Old 06-02-2007, 04:30 PM
N00B

Deep Purple -- Reykjavík, Iceland -- May 27th 2007

Also posted on Maiden Fans United

Date: 27/05/07
Venue: Laugardalshöll
Attendance: ca. 5500
Support: Uriah Heep

I arrived at the venue at about 18:30. When I made it indoors I was about to buy a t-shirt but after seeing the ridiculous prices I settled for a slice of pizza.
About 5500 people showed for the rock gig of the decade!

URIAH HEEP

Bernie Shaw – vocals
Mick Box – guitar
Phil Lanzon – keyboards
Trevor Bolder – bass
Russell Gilbrook - dums

Setlist:

So Tired
Cry Freedom
Echoes in the Dark
Between Two Worlds
The Wizard
Sunrise
Gypsy
Look at Yourself
July Morning
--
Easy Living

Just after 20:00 the lights dimmed and the crowd went wild, Uriah Heep were starting. After their intro had finished they kicked off their hour long set with “So Tired” the crowd was responded with a big roar although it was obvious that many people had never heard that song before, including me.
I kinda recognized the next two songs “Cry Freedom” and “Echoes in the Dark”.

The next song “Between Two Worlds” from their 1998 album 'Sonic Origami' was brilliant but I had never heard it before.
“The Wizard” was next, great performance and it was really the first song that I recognized and the same goes for the people around me. “Sunrise” was just brilliant and the first song I could really sing a long with, great performance.
“Gypsy” was a crowd pleaser, I could hear some sing a longs scattered through out the hall. This was the first Uriah Heep song I heard so I knew the lyrics.

I went berserk when I heard the intro to me all time favorite Heep song, “Look at Yourself” and I shouted the lyrics and got some strange looks from people around me .
One of the best performance I have ever seen!
But the ultimate highlight of their set was next, “July Morning”. I don´t need to tell you that the crowd went insane when the organ intro started. It was the performance of the night!
Of course the biggest response from the crowd came with “Easy Livin'”. Short but powerful.

The band was on fire, Bernie Shaw hit every note and Mick Box played well. The new drummer was great.

Absolutely fantastic performance from Uriah Heep it turned me from an casual fan to an die hard!

10/10

DEEP PURPLE

Ian Gillan – vocals
Steve Morse – guitar
Roger Glover – bass
Don Airey – keyboard
Ian Paice - drums

Setlist:

Pictures of Home
Things I Never Said
Into The Fire
Strange Kinda Woman
Rapture of the Deep
Fireball
Steve Morse Solo / Well Dressed Guitar
When A Blind Man Cries
Lazy
The Battle Rages On
Don Airey Solo
Perfect Strangers
Space Truckin'
Highway Star
Smoke on the Water
--
Hush / Ian Paice Solo
Roger Glover Solo
Black Night

At 21:30 the lights dimmed again and the crowd went insane. After their intro Ian Paice launched into “Pictures of Home”. Gillan was having some trouble but apperntly he had some fever so all is forgiven. “Things I Never Said” is from the Japanese version of their latest album 'Rapture of the Deep' and was this the first time I heard it. Great song.
One of the highlights was “Into the Fire” the only song from 'In Rock'. Absolutely fantastic with the stage lightning all red. Great!
“Strange Kinda Woman” sounded great. “Rapture of the Deep” my favorite from the new album, just as good live if not better. Great performance yet again.
“Fireball” great but sadly kinda forgettable.
Steve Morse's solo was interesting he played some well known parts from songs like “Crazy Train” and “Sweet Child O' Mine”. Then he went on and played “Well Dressed Guitar”. Fantastic!

“When A Blind Man Cries” is one of my favorites Deep Purple songs, but this performance was sadly kinda lackluster, worst song of the night.
“Lazy” has never been a favorite of mine and my opinion hasn´t changed. Not terrible though.
One of the nights highlights was next “The Battle Rages On”, one of my personal favorites. Great live song. I was shouting the lyrics like a mad man! They should continue using it for upcoming tours.
One highlight after another Don Airey's solo was unbelievable. The crowd erupted when Don played a part of the Icelandic national anthem!
Don then played the intro to “Perfect Strangers” and the crowd erupted again! Fantastic performance and the crowd responded well. “Space Truckin' ” was yet another fantastic performance from Purple and I must say that Ian Paice is the best drummer ever!

After a short jam between Steve and Roger they began playing “The Highway Star” and of course everything went wild again. The crowd sang almost every word. Perfect.
Needless to say everyone went completely nuts when Steve played the beginning of “Smoke on the Water” the crowd sang every word of the song. Gillan let the audience sing the chorus. It might be overplayed but it is essential for any Purple show plus it is great live.

“Hush” was the first encore song and just as in Smoke, Ian let the crowd do some singing. Great song. Ian Paice played a short solo, nothing special.
Roger's solo was nice but the hall exploded when he played the opening notes to “Black Night” and they sang along with every note, nice to hear.

Overall an amazing performance, not as powerful as Heep but great nevertheless. Apperantly both Gillan and Airey had fever so all is forgiven.

9/10

Uriah Heep took some pictures and videos you can see here. Also some TV interviews.

Pictures from the gig

The Day Before

Videos

TV News

TV News 2
Old 06-02-2007, 05:35 PM
Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa

Ahh right on, Heep and Purple, damn that's a good bill
Old 06-02-2007, 06:46 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

A Bass solo as an encore.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:37 PM
Dharma Wants You

Awesome that they played Fireball, but where's Speed King?
Old 06-03-2007, 05:26 AM
Weirdo from the woods

I'm suprised Uriah Heep has dropped Lady In Black from their setlist. When I saw them couple of years ago, that was the song that made crowd go nuts and singing from the bottom of their hearts. They were opening for Dio then ...

Purple's set looks very good! I feel bad for missing them once again ... they even had Thin Lizzy (yes, I know it has not much to do with the original...) as opening act when they did two concerts in Finland. I think their set was pretty much a same in here and in Iceland.

Tags
deep purple, uriah heep