Skid Row -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 20th, 2014
The Quireboys -- West Hollywood, CA -- August 6th, 2014
High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 05-26-2007, 10:12 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

If you could be in a band...

...what kind of band would you be in? And don't just say metal, dumbasses Describe what genre, what other bands you would sound like, etc. Oh, and what instrument you would play, obviously. I've always thought it would be fun to be in a grindcore or death metal band, but since my guitar skills aren't quite up to that level yet, realistically I'd like to be in a punk rock band along the lines of Jawbreaker, The Lawrence Arms, Dillinger Four, etc. Also, I've kind of always wanted to start a Green Day cover band
Old 05-27-2007, 05:34 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

I'm not sure. I can't play drums fast enough to be in a thrash metal band, so I suppose the only thing that's left is "Power metal" (the Judas Priest or Manowar variety, duh). I also wouldn't mind being a drummer in a hip-hop group, so long as they let me bust out some fly fills, yo. A pure rock group (Rolling Stones/Van Halen) group would float my tastes as well.

Last edited by JRA; 05-27-2007 at 08:43 AM.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:10 AM
We're dying on the inside

I think I'd like to play keys or acoustic in a prog/folk band along the lines of Jethro Tull.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:16 AM
Dharma Wants You

Classic metal in the vein of Maiden, Dio, Helloween, Running Wild, etc. with atmospheric keyboards, piano etc.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:14 PM
Exit quickly or feel the sting of the pimp hand.

I'd have to be in 7 or 8 bands, probably, to satisfy all my cravings.

I'd love to still be in the band I was in before our drummer moved to Boston and fucked everything up forever. We were a punk-based rock-and-roll three-piece (called Ramshackle) with intricate/interesting song structures and complex interaction between the guitar and bass parts that was unusual and striking without being fussy... if I do say so myself. People sometimes compared us to Husker Du, but I'd say we had more going on than Husker Du, with less raw rage.

When we fliered to attract the latest drummer for Ramshackle, we advertised ourselves as a Cindy Lauper cover band. There's a part of me that actually wants to be in that band, with red wigs, playing punky-yet-faithful versions of She Bop, True Colors, and Girls Just Wanna Have Fun.

The bassist for Ramshackle has recently acquired an acoustic bass, so the new option is to be a folk-punk two-piece. Our first act was to record a couple of songs in my basement on a combination mini-TV/cassette recorder from 1985 as a demo to try to earn our way on a local benefit CD of monster protest songs for kids. If such a CD were ever to come about, with a track of ours featured, obviously ya'll would be the first to know.

Otherwise, I'd love to be in a guerilla cover band that avoided all the standards and never played a straightforward version of anything. Models to emulate would include The Lemonheads (who once did absolutely brilliant covers of Charles Manson's "Home Is Where You're Happy", KISS's "Plaster Caster", and Simon & Garfunkle's "Mrs. Robinson"), Uncle Tupelo (whose album March 16-20, 1992 is half covers of old Americana songs, all of which are brilliant and revealing and perfectly connected to the present), and Tori Amos (hopefully you know by now about Strange Little Girls, on which among other things she does mind-blowing covers of "Raining Blood" by Slayer and "Bonnie & Clyde '98" by Eminem).

I'd love to be in an acoustic hip-hop band, which is something the world needs more of.
Old 05-27-2007, 08:47 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

I'd do the accordion in a polka-blues fusion band.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:35 AM
I Kill Your Face

play drums in a thrashhhh band
Old 05-28-2007, 11:36 AM
Regretting my username

I play drums, and I would like to be in a post-rock inspired, ambient metal group in the vein of Virgin Black, the softer stuff from Opeth, Swallow the Sun, Paradise Lost, Katatonia, Godgory, etc.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:24 PM
Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa

Drums in a sludge/ambient/progressive metal band. Guitar in a crossover/thrash/classic metal band.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:31 PM
Regretting my username

vocals in a blackened death thrash polka acoustic avant-garde goth-rock band.