Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Marduk -- Norrköping, Sweden -- December 19th-20th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014

  #11  
Old 05-02-2007, 01:24 PM
ChildrenofSodom's Avatar
ChildrenofSodom ChildrenofSodom is offline
Regretting my username
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 12,259
Blog Entries: 1
I dont think politics should be held on a different level than other subjects such as religion, love, money, sadness, etc. They are all things that people care about passionately, and if they want to sing about how much they hate the government, that song should not be seen in a different light as, say, a song about how bitchy women are. I dont believe in underlying political parallels in escapist epic metal.If the lyricist was writing a story about how one completely apolitical fantasy world, it would be wrong for the listener to completely misconstrue the point of the song with their own bias interpretation. I hate songs that go right out and say what they hate (such as Pro-Pain "Foul Taste of Freedom"). I am more likely to listen to stuff like Nevermore that focus on social issues, while still throwing in thought-provoking phrases. "The flies drink the decaying nectar, of their tortured effigy."

It all boils down to what James said; all that matters is what the artist feels comfortable doing. If they want to "fuck the government", then thats fine. If they want to gallop through a meadow with pixies, that is great too.
  #12  
Old 05-02-2007, 02:55 PM
Div's Avatar
Div Div is offline
cool babies, strange but not a stranger
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,356
If the songs good I can overlook it, but sometimes poltical music can become more about the bands personal views and less about the music itself, thats when it becomes really fucking annoying. I don't listen to music to get political information, most of the time its because I just want to clear my mind.
  #13  
Old 05-02-2007, 03:01 PM
Bouville's Avatar
Bouville Bouville is offline
Banned Asshole
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Where the shadows mourn
Posts: 7,695
Regarding music and politics I think the same way Sartre thought about literature and politics.
  #14  
Old 05-02-2007, 03:23 PM
ADD's Avatar
ADD ADD is offline
N00B
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 22,955
Doesn't concern me either way. My personal preference would lean towards non-political, but its pretty irrelevant in terms of if its a factor in my enjoyment of the music or not.
  #15  
Old 05-02-2007, 05:31 PM
zgodt's Avatar
zgodt zgodt is offline
Exit quickly or feel the sting of the pimp hand.
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouville View Post
Regarding music and politics I think the same way Sartre thought about literature and politics.
For those of us who haven't studied Sartre, would you care to elaborate?
__________________
So well informed I don't know where the truth begins.
  #16  
Old 05-02-2007, 05:40 PM
Bouville's Avatar
Bouville Bouville is offline
Banned Asshole
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Where the shadows mourn
Posts: 7,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgodt View Post
For those of us who haven't studied Sartre, would you care to elaborate?
Sure... I will say it in once sentence. Literature must be engaged in changing the power relationships, it should be used to fight against social injustice and to serve the agenda of the ones who are at the bottom of the social pyramid.
  #17  
Old 05-02-2007, 05:40 PM
zgodt's Avatar
zgodt zgodt is offline
Exit quickly or feel the sting of the pimp hand.
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
If the lyricist was writing a story about how one completely apolitical fantasy world, it would be wrong for the listener to completely misconstrue the point of the song with their own bias interpretation.
I guess the question is, is it possible to have a "completely apolitical" fantasy world? Say a knight goes out and slays a dragon to save a princess, and then marries the princess. Isn't there some political content coded in that? Obviously I'm not saying the dragon has to represent the Bush administration or anything. But even in that standard fairy tale scenario, you have certain social/political assumptions-- there are creatures of evil that it is proper to kill; violent action is the sphere of men, who must act to protect women; etc.
I'm generalizing and simplifying -- the devil is usually in the details. But I suspect that our political and social assumptions are generally reflected in everything we create, whether we mean to be overtly political or not.

As for the rest, I am inclined to agree with you, and with ECW. Didactic/preachy/haranguing songs are more propaganda than art, and usually have a short shelf life and little aesthetic value.
__________________
So well informed I don't know where the truth begins.
  #18  
Old 05-02-2007, 05:41 PM
ADD's Avatar
ADD ADD is offline
N00B
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 22,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouville View Post
Sure... I will say it in once sentence. Literature must be engaged in changing the power relationships, it should be used to fight against social injustice and to serve the agenda of the ones who are at the bottom of the social pyramid.
I vehemently disagree with that.
  #19  
Old 05-02-2007, 05:43 PM
Bouville's Avatar
Bouville Bouville is offline
Banned Asshole
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Where the shadows mourn
Posts: 7,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
I vehemently disagree with that.
That's ok... but I will have to agree with the nobel prize though.
  #20  
Old 05-02-2007, 05:43 PM
ChildrenofSodom's Avatar
ChildrenofSodom ChildrenofSodom is offline
Regretting my username
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 12,259
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgodt View Post
I guess the question is, is it possible to have a "completely apolitical" fantasy world? Say a knight goes out and slays a dragon to save a princess, and then marries the princess. Isn't there some political content coded in that? Obviously I'm not saying the dragon has to represent the Bush administration or anything. But even in that standard fairy tale scenario, you have certain social/political assumptions-- there are creatures of evil that it is proper to kill; violent action is the sphere of men, who must act to protect women; etc.
.
Not necessarily. I think the stories of dragons and knights were around first. I think politicians being compared to dragons is better than dragons being compared to politicians, if that makes any sense at all.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:38 AM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008