Periphery -- Lansing, MI -- September 19th, 2014
Otherwise -- Sturtevant, WI -- September 19th, 2014
Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 05-01-2007, 02:14 PM
We're dying on the inside

First Impressions on SNAKES & ARROWS

Just curious what everyone thinks.

Personally, I think this is at time more stylistically similar to Geddy's solo album than to recent Rush. Musically, everyone is really clicking and the songwriting couldn't be much more flawless. Neil's lyrics aren't as sharp as they normally are. The three instrumentals are all fucking awesome and among the best songs on the album.

These songs will be sweet live, in other words
Old 05-01-2007, 04:03 PM
Catch The Rainbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Just curious what everyone thinks.

Personally, I think this is at time more stylistically similar to Geddy's solo album than to recent Rush. Musically, everyone is really clicking and the songwriting couldn't be much more flawless. Neil's lyrics aren't as sharp as they normally are. The three instrumentals are all fucking awesome and among the best songs on the album.

These songs will be sweet live, in other words
Damn, you beat me to it! I was going to start the same thread! I agree the instrumentals are terrific. I love all RUSH instrumentals and wish there were more of them. The production is lightyears ahead of Vapor Trails. Alex seems to be the star that really shines on this album. Lots of acoustic guitar from him in there as well. I see it as a Geddy Lee My Favorite Headache meets Vapor Trails album with terrific production. Thank God Alex brought back some solos!!!! I need to give it a few more listens to really get a good feel for the album.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:39 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

I like it. It doesn't compare to a lot of Rush's earlier stuff, but its still well written and executed. My only real problem is the abundance of tracks and similar style of lyrics makes the album drag at some points (Tracks 3-5 kind of blend into eachother ). It sort of reminds me of Test For Echo type sound... And I wish I were seeing them live
Old 05-01-2007, 06:55 PM

Which songs do you think will be played live off of here?

Far Cry, obviously, but I'm hoping for Armor and Sword, The Way the Wind Blows, and especially The Main Monkey Business and Malignant Narcissism.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:59 PM
Somewhere Back In Time

Quote:
Personally, I think this is at time more stylistically similar to Geddy's solo album than to recent Rush.
This was my first thought as well.

After one spin, I can honestly say that I am entirely unimpressed and somewhat disappointed. Maybe my expectations are too high?

Old 05-01-2007, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by es156 View Post

After one spin, I can honestly say that I am entirely unimpressed and somewhat disappointed. Maybe my expectations are too high?

That was my reaction on first listen, but I just finished up my fourth. It truly gets better each time, so hang in there!
Old 05-01-2007, 07:02 PM
Somewhere Back In Time

Quote:
That was my reaction on first listen, but I just finished up my fourth. It truly gets better each time, so hang in there!
Well, I find that to be true of a lot of their material. And it was definitely true with Geddy's solo CD, which grew on me over time to the point that I now consider it essential to my Rush collection.
Old 05-01-2007, 07:11 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

I have no interest in Geddy's solo album so when I pick of Snakes & Arrows it will pwn me instantly!
Old 05-01-2007, 07:34 PM
Catch The Rainbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by es156 View Post

If one is expecting to be blown away with the power and energy of 2112, Moving Pictures, or Permanent Waves then yeah, this album will disappoint. I find it to be the type of album to listen to with a glass of wine and to relax and unwind to. It is somewhat mellow overall. The main standout so far is the instrumental The Main Monkey Business I'm sure this will be done live and will be just outstanding! The other songs I like so far are: The Larger Bowl, Spindrift, The Way The Wind Blows (some blues feel in there), & Faithless. It is a grower so give it more spins and get into the lyrics as they are not half bad. The short insturmentals Hope (I think Alex's son did this) and Malignant Narcissism are fun as well. Hope is surprisingly beautiful as an acoustic instrumental.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:07 PM
Somewhere Back In Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Maiden View Post
If one is expecting to be blown away with the power and energy of 2112, Moving Pictures, or Permanent Waves then yeah, this album will disappoint.
I have been a Rush fan long enough (since about 1981) to know what to expect. I certainly was not looking for a return to the glory days, so to speak. I think Far Cry is to blame for my elevated expectations. When I heard that song a few weeks ago I was blown away. So far I feel that the rest of the album does not really live up to that track. Again these are just first impressions, I am not dismissing the album or anything like that.