Sadistic Intent -- Downey, CA -- December 21st, 2013
Thy Art Is Murder -- Sydney, Australia -- December 19th, 2014
Intronaut -- West Hollywood, CA -- December 19th, 2014
Cannabis Corpse -- Chicago, IL -- December 17th, 2014
Kreator -- London, England -- December 18th, 2014

Old 04-04-2007, 09:24 PM
Regretting my username

Melodic Death Doom

I could have sworn that I made a thread similar to this, but I will give it another shot. Can anyone suggest releases for any of the following bands: Mourning Beloveth, My Dying Bride, Paradise Lost, November's Doom, Katatonia, Daylight Dies, Swallow the Sun, or Opeth.

In my collection, I have the following Melodic death, death doom, and doom CDs....(And I love them all)

November's Doom---The Novella Reservoir
Insomnium---Above the Weeping World
Angel Blake---Angel Blake
Opeth---Blackwater Park
Godgory---Resurrection
Godgory---Way Beyond
Amon Amarth---With Oden on Our Side
Virgin Black--Sombre Romantic

Can anyone suggest any "new" artists for me to explore, in the vein of all of those bands/albums? I want to further delve into this genre, and any help from the people here (mainly Addi, Brady, and Bouville) would be appreciated.

Last edited by ChildrenofSodom; 04-04-2007 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:58 PM
Exit quickly or feel the sting of the pimp hand.

At the risk of being permanently banned by Bouville... MDB is godawful. Steer clear.

If you like Blackwater Park, you'll certainly like Deliverance or Ghost Reveries. And actually, the Lamentations DVD is a hell of a buy -- I got mine for $12 at Circuit City. Not bad for 2 hours of music (+ band-in-studio featurette).
Old 04-04-2007, 10:10 PM
N00B

I don't really like this genre. Opeth and Amon Amarth are not melodic death doom. Swallow The Sun and Novembers Doom is all I'll do really as far as what I consider within the parameters of melodic death doom. Go for more pure doom stuff, or pure death for that matter. My Dying Bride and Katatonia are generally solid, check out Draconian and Lethian Dreams too that seems your type of deal and they both do it well. I prefer old school doom/sludge doom/funeral doom/the crustier side of doom, not as polished or cinematic or orchestral or romantic or whatever as those bands and Paradise Lost, Anathema, etc. Bouville can help you with those sissy doom bands, as for me I say go for some real doom like Corrupted, Asunder, Grief, and the like Clearly you are looking for something else though. Lots of good blackened doom stuff out there too, stuff like Mourning Dawn, Elysian Blaze, etc. It's broad.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:41 PM
Regretting my username

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
I don't really like this genre. Opeth and Amon Amarth are not melodic death doom. Swallow The Sun and Novembers Doom is all I'll do really as far as what I consider within the parameters of melodic death doom. Go for more pure doom stuff, or pure death for that matter. My Dying Bride and Katatonia are generally solid, check out Draconian and Lethian Dreams too that seems your type of deal and they both do it well. I prefer old school doom/sludge doom/funeral doom/the crustier side of doom, not as polished or cinematic or orchestral or romantic or whatever as those bands and Paradise Lost, Anathema, etc. Bouville can help you with those sissy doom bands, as for me I say go for some real doom like Corrupted, Asunder, Grief, and the like Clearly you are looking for something else though. Lots of good blackened doom stuff out there too, stuff like Mourning Dawn, Elysian Blaze, etc. It's broad.
Well, I guess I am lumping too many unlike bands into one genre....but I think you got the main idea of my suggestion...I will chekc out the bands you mentioned.....thanks...
Old 04-04-2007, 10:50 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
Well, I guess I am lumping too many unlike bands into one genre....but I think you got the main idea of my suggestion...I will chekc out the bands you mentioned.....thanks...
There is so many bands I know you would like but I hate so I will not mention them I'll leave all that to Bouville, the gothic orchestral female-fronted pussy death doom shit
Old 04-04-2007, 10:52 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgodt View Post
At the risk of being permanently banned by Bouville... MDB is godawful. Steer clear.
UGH. Quoted for truth
Old 04-04-2007, 10:55 PM
Regretting my username

Well...I am most interested in bands like Insomnium, Opeth, Godgory, Novembers Doom....those guys. The vocals can be either clean or harsh, the music kicks ass, and the lyrics provoke deeper thought.

EDIT: I went to the myspaces of all the bands that you mentioned, Addi (except the ones I had already mentioned) and I didnt like any of them Right now I have decided to expand my Opeth collection, pick up some Daylight Dies, Swallow the Sun, the other 2 Insomnium albums, My Dying Bride, Mourning Beloveth, Paradise Lost, and Grave Flowers. If anyone is familar with any of the proceeding bands, let me know which ones to go for.

Last edited by ChildrenofSodom; 04-04-2007 at 11:05 PM.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:21 PM
N00B

Quote:

EDIT: I went to the myspaces of all the bands that you mentioned, Addi (except the ones I had already mentioned) and I didnt like any of them
Good

There's so much music out there that I absolutely hate giving recommendations now, that's why I appreciate it when someone can be very specific in what they're trying to look for.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:24 PM
Regretting my username

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
Good

There's so much music out there that I absolutely hate giving recommendations now, that's why I appreciate it when someone can be very specific in what they're trying to look for.
I thought I was being specific...bands like Swallow The Sun, Insomnium, Opeth, November's Doom.
Old 04-04-2007, 11:44 PM
N00B

Quote:
I thought I was being specific...bands like Swallow The Sun, Insomnium, Opeth, November's Doom.
None of those bands are very alike though The closest link would be between Insomnium and Novembers Doom I guess. Swallow The Sun have some cool stoner rock elements which is what makes me give them the time of day in the first place, and Opeth is different than all 3 easily. Try looking at similar bands that come up when you do searches and things like that, their friends on Myspace, record label (biggest clue generally to finding more similar stuff), things like that will open up your avenues much more than any single band recommendation.