Saviours -- San Francisco, CA -- September 27th, 2014
Styx -- Peachtree City, GA -- September 27th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 01:56 PM
Regretting my username

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpeartjr. View Post

By the way, anything Dio has done that is cheesy is the Godfather compared to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_UGFLT0VMY
A little off topic, but I would rather be in the pit with a bunch of self-glorifying drunk middle-aged guys preaching about brotherhood and metal than in a pit with angry jackass teenagers.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:59 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
That might be a valid point if the facts suggested that Dio was actually passionate about his lyrics. Given his apparent disdain for writing new material, I'd guess that's probably not the case.
Not being passionate about writing new material means you aren't passionate about your old lyrics?
Old 03-26-2007, 02:32 PM
The Cheese

Dio's pretty passionate about not being at the front of the line.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:34 PM
The Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
I'd also like to add that people shouldn't be bashing Dio for making songs about his interests, no matter how redundant or dorky they may seem to you. Thats what sets it apart from the pop culture that tells you that "its ok to have passions, but just keep those locked inside and act/dress/sing about stuff like everyone else because thats whats cool, and if you dont then you will be shunned".
I get what you're saying, but it doesn't totally add up. Last time I checked pop culture has a pretty low bar for originality, creativity, passion, and all that good stuff. What you're saying sounds like a good excuse to conveniently gloss over valid criticisms people have by misrepresenting it as going against the grain.

Maybe most people just donít care about rainbows that much?
Old 03-26-2007, 02:35 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
That might be a valid point if the facts suggested that Dio was actually passionate about his lyrics. Given his apparent disdain for writing new material, I'd guess that's probably not the case.
Huh?
Old 03-26-2007, 02:36 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCheeseWedge View Post
I get what you're saying, but it doesn't totally add up. Last time I checked pop culture has a pretty low bar for originality, creativity, passion, and all that good stuff. What you're saying sounds like a good excuse to conveniently gloss over valid criticisms people have by misrepresenting it as going against the grain.

Maybe most people just donít care about rainbows that much?
Nothing pleases you I guess, you make fun of Dio and Tool that represent each side of the spectrum
Old 03-26-2007, 02:37 PM
The Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
Nothing pleases you I guess, you make fun of Dio and Tool that represent each side of the spectrum
Well, I don't recall saying much about Tool's music honestly. I think it was about the packaging. "Vicarious" is still one of my favorite songs released last year.

But yeah, you are partially right. I am a bit of a bastard
Old 03-26-2007, 02:38 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCheeseWedge View Post
Well, I don't recall saying much about Tool's music honestly. I think it was about the packaging. "Vicarious" is still one of my favorite songs released last year.

But yeah, you are partially right. I am a bit of a bastard
So you have a problem with the packaging? Well congrats for being the only person I've heard of who didn't like it

People will complain no matter what, too simple, too elaborate, not enough creativity, too much creativity (?), I dunno whatever.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:42 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

I'm sure if you sat down and had a few drinks with Dio he could tell you all about the world and his travels. But when it comes to his music career, his job, why risk ruining a good thing? Bands that stay true to their music style can maintain a fanbase and become successful, whereas bands who keep changing from album to album usually send their chance at a career to hell.

Why does Dio write about rainbows and magicians? Same reason King Diamond writes about ghosts, and the same reason Amon Amarth writes about vikings; it's their niche.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:46 PM
The Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
So you have a problem with the packaging? Well congrats for being the only person I've heard of who didn't like it

People will complain no matter what, too simple, too elaborate, not enough creativity, too much creativity (?), I dunno whatever.
No, I don't have a problem with it. I don't even really remember what the argument was, but I think I might have called it "gimmicky" or something like that. I thought the packaging was pretty cool, but I don't really give a shit about the packaging.

Yeah, that's pretty much true.