Rainbow Bar & Grill 42nd Anniversary -- West Hollywood, CA -- April 13th, 2014
The Goddamn Gallows -- Long Beach, CA -- April 16th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 12:39 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCheeseWedge View Post
Yep. Me not buying his albums will make him write better lyrics.
And why do you care about Dio's lyrics if you aren't buying his albums?
Old 03-26-2007, 12:40 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCheeseWedge View Post
Furthermore, it's well known that Dio is over 60. You're telling me that somebody who has spent their entire life traveling the world, meeting people, and jamming with great musicians has nothing better to write about than spiders, dragons, masters of the moon, and making the devil the cry?
Good point.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:40 PM
The Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
It isnt even a real discussion...Its just bitching about something that doesnt affect you at all...Its like bitching because the flag was at half-mast for 30 days after Ford died...Dio is going to write corny lyrics until he dies...that is part of his schtick.....He is an amazing singer, and that is all that matters. Nothing anyone says will change his mind, and he will continue to make albums, and myself and other loyal fans will continue to buy them.
Yeah, it's not a real discussion when people say "STFU" and then don't talk about it. So we can't have a discussion about his shtick? And as far as him being an amazing singer... well, first of all, that's subjective (as is his lyrics), and secondly, it doesn't leave a lot of room for discussion. Also, being ridiculously stubborn isn't exactly something I'd call a quality trait. And finally, "loyal fans"? Is that code for, "if Dio sang a song about groping unicorns under rainbows we'd buy it and call it a masterpiece"? Because I don't know what you mean. I'm pretty sure I still buy Dio's stuff too. And I'm pretty sure I even enjoyed seeing him in concert (and I know there's some people in this thread that probably do not enjoy Dio concerts.) But still, that doesn't mean I'm going to accept mediocrity as "part of the act" and not discuss what my opinions are on Dio.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:41 PM
The Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpeartjr. View Post
And why do you care about Dio's lyrics if you aren't buying his albums?
When did I say I wasn't buying his albums?
Old 03-26-2007, 12:45 PM
Regretting my username

None of his songs are as gay or twisted as groping unicorns. In his mind, they make sense. And if you dont understand/like them, then dont listen to them. But calling for him to quit making albums is so stupid. Iron Maiden are thinking about throwing in the towel, and DIO is still going...He sand in the greatest heavy metal band of all time, put out three great albums, had many stellar solo albums, he integrated the devil horns into the metal scene, he had an amazing voice, and has written some pretty kickass songs..Isnt that enough? I dont expect a Heaven and Hell or Holy Diver on every album.....but I like to think that none of his albums are 100% shit.

Discuss
Old 03-26-2007, 12:46 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

It's amazing how people can take articulated criticism towards their favorite bands so fucking personally.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:46 PM
Regretting my username

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
It's amazing how people can take articulated criticism towards their favorite bands so fucking personally.
Yeah, I know.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:47 PM
The Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
None of his songs are as gay or twisted as groping unicorns. In his mind, they make sense. And if you dont understand/like them, then dont listen to them. But calling for him to quit making albums is so stupid. Iron Maiden are thinking about throwing in the towel, and DIO is still going...He sand in the greatest heavy metal band of all time, put out three great albums, had many stellar solo albums, he integrated the devil horns into the metal scene, he had an amazing voice, and has written some pretty kickass songs..Isnt that enough? I dont expect a Heaven and Hell or Holy Diver on every album.....but I like to think that none of his albums are 100% shit.

Discuss
It was just an example I didn't say he should quit making albums. He has said that he has no desire to make albums. He has said - on numerous occasions - that he only writes albums so that he can tour behind them.

No, I don't give a shit about his legacy in regards to what he's doing now.

Well, maybe you should listen to Sacred Heart again
Old 03-26-2007, 12:48 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
I think two guitarists in a band with no bass player and one of the guitars being tuned down is a stupid and unoriginal idea.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:49 PM
The Cheese

Quote:
No shit.

And I think Dio's a great guy, I've still got the picture of me with him on my wall next to the copy of Mob Rules he signed