Cannabis Corpse -- Chicago, IL -- December 17th, 2014
Kreator -- London, England -- December 18th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 03:47 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCheeseWedge View Post
Dio's pretty passionate about not being at the front of the line.

I'll admit, that was cute.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:49 PM
The Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpeartjr. View Post

I'll admit, that was cute.

Old 03-26-2007, 05:30 PM
Somewhere Back In Time

Alright, here is the mother of all multi-quotes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgodt View Post

I'm done now.
Liar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
Hahaha. Scott's getting good at pushing people's buttons here
Yes he is. The question: is it out of boredom or is he conducting evil experiments? Does he go to the Sleater-Kinney boards and talk about how much they suck?

Quote:
Okay. I like Dio (I think that's pretty well established), but I think his lyrics are pretty iffy (I think that's also well established.)

The way I see it, Dio just isn't creative. Sorry, but he's beaten to death about every cliché in existence, he can't write metaphors, and he definitely takes himself far too seriously. Take Magica, for instace. It may be the worst story ever written. It's generic, cliché, and overly dramatic. So he puts it to music. Good grief.

Furthermore, it's well known that Dio is over 60. You're telling me that somebody who has spent their entire life traveling the world, meeting people, and jamming with great musicians has nothing better to write about than spiders, dragons, masters of the moon, and making the devil the cry?

Get real.

Dio's a lazy songwriter, a poor lyricist, and has admitted in interviews he doesn't even care to create new music anymore, and only does so he can tour. So while that makes it a bit easier to write off his recent albums, it still offers no excuse for the abomination that is "Sacred Heart" and the unholy curse upon this world that is the Dio's-face-in-a-crystal-ball introduction to the song live ("Come with me children as we cross the rainbow bridge.")
I find it interesting that you can claim to like Dio and then totally rip him apart in the next 3 paragraphs. What exactly do you like about Dio?

Quote:
Is this a discussion board? YES!

Deal with it.
No. It is a metal set lists board.

Quote:
Actually, now that I think about it, music is very personal to a lot of people, and not just the lyrics. And to hear some two-bit dick picking apart their band one by one could damn well be fighting words. I mean what is a fan supposed to do, take it?

It's Only Rock N' Roll, but I like it.
I am going to mostly agree with NPJ here. Most of the people on this board will passionately defend the music they like and there is nothing wrong with that. However, resorting to name-calling is taking it too far. Especially when you know the antagonists are just trying to stir things up.

What really surprises me is the amount of grief that Dio takes on this board. With all of the available (and more deserving) targets out there, this one doesn't make much sense. I am not saying he is beyond ridicule, but he does not deserve this much. And yes, I like Sacred Heart - the song and the album.

[By the way NPJ, I was actually eating a piece of cake while I was reading this thread earlier. How funny is that?]
Old 03-26-2007, 05:34 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by es156 View Post

[By the way NPJ, I was actually eating a piece of cake while I was reading this thread earlier. How funny is that?]

That is indeed hilarious.

By the way, what took you so long?

Last edited by JRA; 03-26-2007 at 05:50 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:35 PM
The Cheese

Meh, if you think that's ripping Dio apart, then I would say you don't think I'm very capable of ripping stuff apart. I like Dio, because he's got a good voice, has a sense for melody, and at some point far back in the past actually did seem to be passionate and creative with his work. I also think it's quite possible to like something, but still find faults with it. Isn't that just life?
Old 03-26-2007, 05:38 PM
Banned Asshole

You all are pussies
Old 03-26-2007, 05:53 PM
Exit quickly or feel the sting of the pimp hand.

Quote:
Liar.
In fairness, I did stay lay off of Dio for the better part of 4 pages, and only got back into it to put a mild qualification on a point made by ECW, and then people started jumping down my throat.
Quote:
What really surprises me is the amount of grief that Dio takes on this board. With all of the available (and more deserving) targets out there, this one doesn't make much sense. I am not saying he is beyond ridicule, but he does not deserve this much.
Well, of course the reason is that there are people here who know, and like, Dio's work. So we have a basis for conversation. Where would we get with a discussion on the relative merits of Dashboard Confessional? "They suck." "Sure do." Case closed. Wheeee.

Do you have other bands you'd like us to debate? There's plenty of stuff to complain about out there. I'll be ready.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:53 PM
Somewhere Back In Time

Quote:

That is indeed hilarious.

By the way, what took you so long?
The real world (i.e. my son) kept interrupting me.

Old 03-26-2007, 05:55 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
The real world (i.e. my son) kept interrupting me.

Oh, shit!

Can't complain about that.

At least you noticed my "Shit down everyones throat so much he'll have to eat cake to fill up the quota" comment before I deleted it.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:00 PM
Somewhere Back In Time

Quote:
Meh, if you think that's ripping Dio apart, then I would say you don't think I'm very capable of ripping stuff apart. I like Dio, because he's got a good voice, has a sense for melody, and at some point far back in the past actually did seem to be passionate and creative with his work. I also think it's quite possible to like something, but still find faults with it. Isn't that just life?
Fair enough. (Although, your overall capability in ripping stuff apart was not the basis of my post. I have seen your work in various Maiden and Priest related threads.) Of course it is possible to like something and still find faults with it. You just seem to go out of your way to slam Dio.
Closed Thread