Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Thy Art Is Murder -- Sydney, Australia -- December 19th, 2014
Intronaut -- West Hollywood, CA -- December 19th, 2014
Cannabis Corpse -- Chicago, IL -- December 17th, 2014
Kreator -- London, England -- December 18th, 2014
It Lies Within -- Westland, MI -- December 16th, 2014


Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 02-17-2007, 11:31 PM
zgodt's Avatar
zgodt zgodt is offline
Exit quickly or feel the sting of the pimp hand.
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
On the subject of anti-discrimination laws... NO! Never should there ever be a law passed to limit what a person can say. Let society shun biggotry, but it is by all means NOT the governments job to do it.
Anti-discrimination laws don't limit what a person can say. The limit what you can fire somebody for, or deny them a job for, or deny them healthcare for, etc.

For instance, racist shitheads are free to say nigger all the want, but they can't legally deny someone housing or employment on the basis of race. That's what anti-discrimination laws mean. I agree there's no room in this country for "thought police" and if someone wants to profess their fag-hate, that's their right. But should it be their right to not lease an apartment to someone gay, or not hire someone gay, or not pay medical bills for someone gay, etc.?
__________________
So well informed I don't know where the truth begins.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-18-2007, 07:37 AM
DethMaiden's Avatar
DethMaiden DethMaiden is offline
We're dying on the inside
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 28,828
Blog Entries: 1
[quote=zgodt;144998But should it be their right to not lease an apartment to someone gay, or not hire someone gay, or not pay medical bills for someone gay, etc.?[/QUOTE]

No, because people are people and they can get the hell over it. If said gay person has a history of not paying housing bills, isn't qualified for the job, or can pay their own damn medical bills, then yes, but it shouldn't be based even an inkling of a percent on the fact that they're homosexual.
__________________
Mortals are mortar and life is the fuse.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-18-2007, 12:58 PM
Div's Avatar
Div Div is offline
cool babies, strange but not a stranger
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,356
I agree with you guys, I was thinking of something else when I said "anti-discrimination laws". What I meant was recently proposed ideas in congress about making it illegal to say racist remarks and such. But yea, denying someone a job or education based on gender or race or whatever and not on their performance should be illegal.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-19-2007, 05:53 PM
IamTheMickster IamTheMickster is offline
N00B
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: San Mateo, CA
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
I agree with you guys, I was thinking of something else when I said "anti-discrimination laws". What I meant was recently proposed ideas in congress about making it illegal to say racist remarks and such. But yea, denying someone a job or education based on gender or race or whatever and not on their performance should be illegal.
I pretty much agree with you on this as well.
What I do agree with, however, is "reverse discrimination" to a certain extent.
Also known as affirmative action, I believe for example that race should play a factor in giving blacks favorable entry into college over a better-qualified white student. Why? Because blacks have been discriminated against for about 500 years or so in North America. And a few years of reverse discrimination in the US will help blacks out a little bit. And a few years of this activity pales in comparison to 500 years.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-19-2007, 06:02 PM
DethMaiden's Avatar
DethMaiden DethMaiden is offline
We're dying on the inside
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 28,828
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamTheMickster View Post
I pretty much agree with you on this as well.
What I do agree with, however, is "reverse discrimination" to a certain extent.
Also known as affirmative action, I believe for example that race should play a factor in giving blacks favorable entry into college over a better-qualified white student. Why? Because blacks have been discriminated against for about 500 years or so in North America. And a few years of reverse discrimination in the US will help blacks out a little bit. And a few years of this activity pales in comparison to 500 years.
I disagree fully, because the blacks who we are admitting into colleges ahead of better qualified whites were not enslaved, nor were they the victims of Jim Crow Laws. I strongly dislike affirmative action because it allows people to play the "race card" and win. If I was better qualified for a job than an African-American and they got it instead, I would understandably be angry about it.
__________________
Mortals are mortar and life is the fuse.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-19-2007, 06:25 PM
SomewhereInTime72's Avatar
SomewhereInTime72 SomewhereInTime72 is offline
HEY! LISTEN!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BKLYN NY
Posts: 12,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I disagree fully, because the blacks who we are admitting into colleges ahead of better qualified whites were not enslaved, nor were they the victims of Jim Crow Laws. I strongly dislike affirmative action because it allows people to play the "race card" and win. If I was better qualified for a job than an African-American and they got it instead, I would understandably be angry about it.
To be fair, a lot of the less-qualified black students are less-qualified because they had to grow up in poor neighborhoods and areas with bad educational resources... which in turn is a product of their family's history of oppression by this country.
__________________
"So yeah, monkey prostitution has happened."
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-19-2007, 06:26 PM
ChildrenofSodom's Avatar
ChildrenofSodom ChildrenofSodom is offline
Regretting my username
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 12,259
Blog Entries: 1
I think it is severly backwards to outlaw the distinction of race to deny someone something, and then enact laws that promote the seperation of races, so that the minority can recieve a hand out.

If we are going to have equality on some fields, lets have equality on ALL fields.

PS. I watched Glory this weekend
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-19-2007, 06:26 PM
DethMaiden's Avatar
DethMaiden DethMaiden is offline
We're dying on the inside
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 28,828
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
To be fair, a lot of the less-qualified black students are less-qualified because they had to grow up in poor neighborhoods and areas with bad educational resources... which in turn is a product of their family's history of oppression by this country.
Still, give them opportunities, not handouts. My mom said nothing annoyed her more than all the black students at her college who cut all their classes but knew they'd be getting degrees anyway. I'm not saying all affirmative action is bad, but racial quotas and making the path easier for black students is out of the question.
__________________
Mortals are mortar and life is the fuse.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-19-2007, 06:30 PM
SomewhereInTime72's Avatar
SomewhereInTime72 SomewhereInTime72 is offline
HEY! LISTEN!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BKLYN NY
Posts: 12,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Still, give them opportunities, not handouts. My mom said nothing annoyed her more than all the black students at her college who cut all their classes but knew they'd be getting degrees anyway. I'm not saying all affirmative action is bad, but racial quotas and making the path easier for black students is out of the question.
Oh I definitely agree. Affirmative action and racial quotas are different though. Racial quotas are pretty bad and stupid, but I see nothing wrong with the occasional help given to a minority.
__________________
"So yeah, monkey prostitution has happened."
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-19-2007, 06:32 PM
JRA's Avatar
JRA JRA is offline
Traditionalist Asshole
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 19,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamTheMickster View Post
I pretty much agree with you on this as well.
What I do agree with, however, is "reverse discrimination" to a certain extent.
Also known as affirmative action, I believe for example that race should play a factor in giving blacks favorable entry into college over a better-qualified white student. Why? Because blacks have been discriminated against for about 500 years or so in North America. And a few years of reverse discrimination in the US will help blacks out a little bit. And a few years of this activity pales in comparison to 500 years.

First of all, the United States has only been around for 200 years, and I highly doubt the Europeans did slave traded with Native Americans they didn't know existed.

Second of all, allow me to quote Chris Rock:

"No, I don't think a black person who scored lower on a job test should get the job over a white person. But if its a tie, fuck 'em. Shit, you guys had 200 years to study for this!"
__________________
He's like "yo give me yo insurance information!" and I'm like "I didn't hit you with no car, I hit you with this mack truck I call a fist!"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:29 AM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008