Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Thy Art Is Murder -- Sydney, Australia -- December 19th, 2014
Intronaut -- West Hollywood, CA -- December 19th, 2014
Cannabis Corpse -- Chicago, IL -- December 17th, 2014
Kreator -- London, England -- December 18th, 2014
It Lies Within -- Westland, MI -- December 16th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 02-17-2007, 11:31 PM
Exit quickly or feel the sting of the pimp hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
On the subject of anti-discrimination laws... NO! Never should there ever be a law passed to limit what a person can say. Let society shun biggotry, but it is by all means NOT the governments job to do it.
Anti-discrimination laws don't limit what a person can say. The limit what you can fire somebody for, or deny them a job for, or deny them healthcare for, etc.

For instance, racist shitheads are free to say nigger all the want, but they can't legally deny someone housing or employment on the basis of race. That's what anti-discrimination laws mean. I agree there's no room in this country for "thought police" and if someone wants to profess their fag-hate, that's their right. But should it be their right to not lease an apartment to someone gay, or not hire someone gay, or not pay medical bills for someone gay, etc.?
Old 02-18-2007, 07:37 AM
We're dying on the inside

[quote=zgodt;144998But should it be their right to not lease an apartment to someone gay, or not hire someone gay, or not pay medical bills for someone gay, etc.?[/QUOTE]

No, because people are people and they can get the hell over it. If said gay person has a history of not paying housing bills, isn't qualified for the job, or can pay their own damn medical bills, then yes, but it shouldn't be based even an inkling of a percent on the fact that they're homosexual.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:58 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

I agree with you guys, I was thinking of something else when I said "anti-discrimination laws". What I meant was recently proposed ideas in congress about making it illegal to say racist remarks and such. But yea, denying someone a job or education based on gender or race or whatever and not on their performance should be illegal.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:53 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
I agree with you guys, I was thinking of something else when I said "anti-discrimination laws". What I meant was recently proposed ideas in congress about making it illegal to say racist remarks and such. But yea, denying someone a job or education based on gender or race or whatever and not on their performance should be illegal.
I pretty much agree with you on this as well.
What I do agree with, however, is "reverse discrimination" to a certain extent.
Also known as affirmative action, I believe for example that race should play a factor in giving blacks favorable entry into college over a better-qualified white student. Why? Because blacks have been discriminated against for about 500 years or so in North America. And a few years of reverse discrimination in the US will help blacks out a little bit. And a few years of this activity pales in comparison to 500 years.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamTheMickster View Post
Also known as affirmative action, I believe for example that race should play a factor in giving blacks favorable entry into college over a better-qualified white student. Why? Because blacks have been discriminated against for about 500 years or so in North America. And a few years of reverse discrimination in the US will help blacks out a little bit. And a few years of this activity pales in comparison to 500 years.
I disagree fully, because the blacks who we are admitting into colleges ahead of better qualified whites were not enslaved, nor were they the victims of Jim Crow Laws. I strongly dislike affirmative action because it allows people to play the "race card" and win. If I was better qualified for a job than an African-American and they got it instead, I would understandably be angry about it.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:25 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I disagree fully, because the blacks who we are admitting into colleges ahead of better qualified whites were not enslaved, nor were they the victims of Jim Crow Laws. I strongly dislike affirmative action because it allows people to play the "race card" and win. If I was better qualified for a job than an African-American and they got it instead, I would understandably be angry about it.
To be fair, a lot of the less-qualified black students are less-qualified because they had to grow up in poor neighborhoods and areas with bad educational resources... which in turn is a product of their family's history of oppression by this country.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:26 PM
Regretting my username

I think it is severly backwards to outlaw the distinction of race to deny someone something, and then enact laws that promote the seperation of races, so that the minority can recieve a hand out.

If we are going to have equality on some fields, lets have equality on ALL fields.

PS. I watched Glory this weekend
Old 02-19-2007, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
To be fair, a lot of the less-qualified black students are less-qualified because they had to grow up in poor neighborhoods and areas with bad educational resources... which in turn is a product of their family's history of oppression by this country.
Still, give them opportunities, not handouts. My mom said nothing annoyed her more than all the black students at her college who cut all their classes but knew they'd be getting degrees anyway. I'm not saying all affirmative action is bad, but racial quotas and making the path easier for black students is out of the question.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:30 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Still, give them opportunities, not handouts. My mom said nothing annoyed her more than all the black students at her college who cut all their classes but knew they'd be getting degrees anyway. I'm not saying all affirmative action is bad, but racial quotas and making the path easier for black students is out of the question.
Oh I definitely agree. Affirmative action and racial quotas are different though. Racial quotas are pretty bad and stupid, but I see nothing wrong with the occasional help given to a minority.
Old 02-19-2007, 06:32 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamTheMickster View Post

First of all, the United States has only been around for 200 years, and I highly doubt the Europeans did slave traded with Native Americans they didn't know existed.

Second of all, allow me to quote Chris Rock:

"No, I don't think a black person who scored lower on a job test should get the job over a white person. But if its a tie, fuck 'em. Shit, you guys had 200 years to study for this!"