Unearth -- Pontiac, MI -- April 17th, 2014
Wayne Static -- Birmingham, AL -- April 17th, 2014
Ghost -- Toronto, Ontario -- April 17th, 2014
Rainbow Bar & Grill 42nd Anniversary -- West Hollywood, CA -- April 13th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 02-09-2007, 12:05 PM
We're dying on the inside

Mastodon -- Columbus, OH -- February 8th, 2007

Last night I saw Mastodon for the second time in five months, with Priestess and Converge as support. I'd say that this experience was better than the first time I saw them, for a few reasons.

First of all, Priestess were great, whereas The Bronx were terrible back in September. I may pick up the Priestess debut, and it would be morally wrong of me not to because I told their singer I would. I don't have the setlist, but they had a great set save for the boring drum solo that ripped off John Bonham six ways to Sunday.

Converge still sucked. Not much to say there.

Mastodon were even better than the first time I saw them; everything really clicked. Opener "This Mortal Soil" set the pacing for the show quite poorly as I expected, but it came together before long and the whole place was going nuts and shouting along. Highlights of their set for me were "Mother Puncher", which has perhaps become my favorite Mastodon song other than "Hearts Alive" (which was also great) and "Blood and Thunder" for the incredible shoutalong. The guys played the first minute or so of "Hearts Alive" but Brent's guitar went out and he got mad and threw it off stage. Then Bill came over and audibly told him, "Dude, that was my guitar." I nabbed a set from a roadie, though I believe it's the same as the ones we have:

1. This Mortal Soil
2. The Wolf Is Loose
3. Crystal Skull
4. Capillarian Crest
5. I Am Ahab
6. Sleeping Giant
7. Circle of Cysquatch
8. Iron Tusk
9. March of the Fire Ants
10. Where Strides the Behemoth
11. Mother Puncher
12. Aqua Dementia
13. Bladecatcher
14. Colony of Birchmen
15. Megalodon
16. Blood and Thunder
------------
17. Hearts Alive

The best part of the night, however, was after the show. While waiting at the merch table, the singer/guitarist from Priestess pointed out the Genesis patch on my jacket, and we bantered about Genesis for a few minutes, then Brann Fucking Dailor came out and saw it. The three of us talked Genesis for a couple of minutes, which absolutely made my night, because I had already known that Brann held The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway in as high of regard as myself, if not higher, considering it his all-time favorite album. We proceeded to make Genesis in-jokes that any passerby would have shaken their head at. How fun.

Then, as Brann and myself were leaving the venue, a bootleg t-shirt salesman picked us off, and, not recognizing Brann, tried to sell him a bootleg Mastodon shirt. And he fucking bought one.

What a night.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:39 PM
Dharma Wants You

Sounds fucking awesome man. That's really awesome you got to chat with Brann.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:20 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post

Then, as Brann and myself were leaving the venue, a bootleg t-shirt salesman picked us off, and, not recognizing Brann, tried to sell him a bootleg Mastodon shirt. And he fucking bought one.

He must have a fucked up sense of humor.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:53 PM
Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa

That is fucking sick!!!!!!! Damn I'd love to meet Brann Dailor.

And Converge eats Priestess and their children, their extended families, and their aquaintances for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a midnight snack
Old 02-09-2007, 03:11 PM
Regretting my username

It was a good night for me too....

As I was walking in, I passed Brent on his phone...and as we were waiting for Converge to come on, we yelled at Brann and he waved to us When Mastodon went on, this kid (he looked like Addi, and about the same age, actually) ran up and proceeded to shove me off the rail, just to let another punk and his girl get up close. I had no problem with that, but then the jackasshole began to do the standing "worm" and whipped his body into me repeatedly, forcing me farther back. THEN he kicked me in the leg numerous times, never once looking back at me to apologize. He then left and let another kid take his spot, and that was cool. Then he forced his way BACK up to the front, hitting every person he passed....Punks like that make me sick....

.I enjoyed Mastodon more because I was more familar with their stuff, Priestess WERE better than The Bronx, and...Converge are officially the worst band I have ever seen live...their fans are such punks, their singer is awful and his stage persona is nothing short of retarded. The guitarist was okay, as was the drummer, but as a whole the band was terrible.

I saw a man peeing in a sink.

I stood next to Brad as he joked with Brann and the Priestess guy. And contrary to what Brad said, he and Brann werent walking out 'together' per se. Our clan was leaving, and Brann just happened to be walking outside too. Sorry to de-romanticize it for ya.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Somewhere Back In Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
And Converge eats Priestess and their children, their extended families, and their aquaintances for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a midnight snack
Maybe if you are tone deaf.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post

I stood next to Brad as he joked with Brann and the Priestess guy. And contrary to what Brad said, he and Brann werent walking out 'together' per se. Our clan was leaving, and Brann just happened to be walking outside too. Sorry to de-romanticize it for ya.
I was in the process of shaking his hand when the bum approached us
Old 02-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

Quote:
Amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
This man speaks the truth.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by es156 View Post
Maybe if you are tone deaf.

Man, they were bad. I don't get it.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:46 PM
Regretting my username

Quote:
Man, they were bad. I don't get it.
They have no words in their songs...and no structure...

Tags
converge, mastodon, priestess