Somewhere Back In Time

Mastodon -- Sauget, IL -- February 3rd, 2007

Tour: Blood Mountain Tour 2007
Headliner: Mastodon
Support: Converge, Priestess
Venue: Pop’s, Sauget, IL
Date: February 3rd, 2007
=========================

Despite the recent weather, Jeremy Saal and I decided to head to St. Louis and catch the Blood Mountain tour. Jeremy had never seen Mastodon and I had only seen them once. After seeing them open for Maiden in Denver back in 2005, I was interested to see them play a headlining show. We were definitely not disappointed.

Venue Report:
Pop’s is not much of a concert venue. It is more of a bar with a stage that is well suited for local bands but not much else. People play pool on one side of the building while bands play on the other side. However, they seem to pull in quite a few national acts, including Megadeth, Dio, and Queensryche, in recent years. At least the sound was better this time than it has been in the past. This may have been due to our proximity to the sound equipment.

Show Report:
The first band to hit the stage was Priestess, and I must admit that I really enjoyed their set. They play fairly straight-forward heavy rock that has good grooves and moves at a good pace. I found myself head-banging to their entire set. Their drummer was hitting so hard I thought he was going to destroy his kit. He actually played a drum solo that lasted about 5 minutes and was heavily influenced by John Bonham. It was pretty cool. There was even some crowd surfing during the solo, which I don’t think I have ever seen before. Converge was next, and I enjoyed their set about as much as I thought I would, which is to say not at all. One funny thing did happen during their set. Between songs someone yelled something like “this is better than Sounds of the Underground” to which the lead singer replied “Yeah, at least we don’t have all those Cannibal Corpse fans flipping us off all night.”

Finally, the opening part of “This Mortal Soil” started playing through the P.A. and the boys from Mastodon walked onto the stage. We had secured spots on the rail on the right side and we got pounded by the speaker stack all night. It was a loud show and my ears were actually ringing afterwards, which does not happen very often. They played a very tight set consisting of mostly Blood Mountain material. They played 8 songs from their latest release and they all sounded great. It was funny to see Brent Hinds trying to whistle the parts during “Bladecatcher,” which I think has been mentioned on this site before. Brann Dailor is an excellent drummer and he nailed every part. He plays with amazing speed, dexterity and precision. I met him after the show and he signed my ticket stub. He seemed like a very down to earth guy. Jeremy met Bill Kelliher after the show and I think he got his ticket signed also. The venue was too small to allow much of a stage show and I don’t remember much in the way of lights or effects. But this was a great show and the musicianship was outstanding. The first question Jeremy asked me afterwards was “where can we catch this tour again?” Personal highlights were “This Mortal Soil,” “The Wolf Is Loose,” “Colony of Birchmen,” and “Blood And Thunder.”

Set List:

1. This Mortal Soil
2. The Wolf Is Loose
3. Crystal Skull
4. Capillarian Crest
5. I Am Ahab
6. Sleeping Giant
7. Circle Of Cysquatch
8. Iron Tusk
9. March Of The Fire Ants
10. Where Strides The Behemoth
11. Mother Puncher
12. Aqua Dementia
13. Bladecatcher
14. Colony Of Birchmen
15. Megalodon
16. Blood And Thunder

17. Hearts Alive

(85 min.)

Lineup:
Bass/Vocals: Troy Sanders
Guitar/Vocals: Brent Hinds
Guitar/Vocals: Bill Kelliher
Drums: Brann Dailor
Old 02-09-2007, 03:28 AM
We're dying on the inside

Sweet review, we share the same basic opinions of the bands but different specificities exist, so I'll write my own review later.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:54 PM
Voodoo Child

Great review of a great show!

We will definitely catch this one again soon!

Jeremy

Tags
mastodon