Protest the Hero -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 27th, 2014
Marduk -- Norrköping, Sweden -- December 19th-20th, 2014
Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014

Old 01-30-2007, 04:53 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
I hate to say...but Linkin Park are my guilty pleasure.....
Yeah, some of the early rock I was into I still enjoy a good deal when it comes on the radio.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:25 PM
J-Priest Fa Sho

Smile

Alright here goes. I put this in chronological order of my life. This is by no accounts a list of my favorite CD's (or even, in some cases, cds I even listen to anymore), but the ones that influenced my musical life today. I try to stick to very broad CDs to outline all the music I listen to, not just metal, but there is repetition in metal since it was so influential and remains my main bread and butter listening content.

Raffi- Seriously. Embarassing but what the fuck; I loved Apples and Bananas when I was 5 and some of his cd's were my first experiences with music.

AC/DC: Back in Black- When I got my first CD player I borrowed this from my dad and listened to it for a couple months; my first rock CD (along with a best-of by George Thorogood). This disc got me really into listening to music habitually and starting a collection: hello iTunes.

Dio: The Very Beast of Dio- Metaldrummer 888 burned this beauty for me and it was my first introduction to metal. It took me a while to get into, but the commercial-friendly Rainbow in the Dark got me originally intrigued. Dio became my favorite band for a year or two and opened the floodgates to all the rest. In addtition my first metal concert. (Not including an acoustic Metallica performance my dad says we saw when i was 7 at an annual charity gig for the Bridge School for kids with special needs; but I don't even remember it so it doesn't count)

Black Sabbath: We Sold Our Soul For Rock 'N' Roll- Bought this in 8th(?) grade; the first metal CD that I bought; remains kick-ass. I couldn't put this down for a while.

Iron Maiden: Piece Of Mind- Not my first Maiden CD, but the first one that I bought and therefore gave more consideration to. It blew my current expectation of what music should be out of the water. Plus the solo in Flight of Icarus convinced me to pick up guitar; it was so damn catchy I was just like "fuck I want to do that". Every single metal band I listened to post-getting this CD, are because of Maiden.

Scorpions: 10 Best Collection- Not very influential, probably could have been skipped, but it did introduce me to more mainstream 80's pop-metal. Led to limited listening of Aerosmith (easily the best of the lot), Def Leppard, Van Halen, Kiss, Motley Crue.

Metallica: Black Album- This album and Master of Puppets opened me to even ''harder'' stuff, Pantera, Slayer, etc.

The Temptations: The Ultimate Collection- Around this time my brother bought this CD; we had seen the made-for-TV movie-biography and its a great movie. This CD opened my eyes to even more music genres: Motown, soul, and pyschedelic-funk with their later stuff. Still one of my favorite CD's.

HammerFall: Legacy of Kings- Even though I no longer can stand this band it introduced me to powermetal. Better bands would come down the pipe such as Edguy, Helloween, Grave Digger, and Dream Evil (not what my sn is from; that would be the Dio CD of the same name).

Children of Bodom: Hate Crew Deathroll- Again, took me a while to get used to, but it remains one of my favorite CDs. It introduced me to harsh vocals and led to Arch Enemy, In Flames, Death, etc.

Alice in Chains: Unplugged- My dad gave me a burned copy of this from a co-worker and I love it. I haven't had it that long so I'm not sure of its total effects but it did convince me to buy Facelift, Dirt, and re-listen to Jar of Flies, which I'd had a copy of for some time, all of which are great.

Sublime: Self-Titled- Good band, fuck you. Led to a little punk, reggae, ska, etc.

Lynyrd Skynyrd: All-time Greatest Hits- Great stuff, opened me up to some southern rock, Allman Brothers Band, ZZ Top, even Blues Traveler etc.

Rage Against the Machine: Self-Titled- Again, I only got into this band recently, but I love this CD and the other of theirs' I own and can tell they have already influenced me greatly. I don't yet know what other bands this will lead to... hopefully not limp bizkit

I intended this list to be short, but looking back it's much longer than I anticipated. Awesome thread

Edit: I used this list as a reference point. I assumed you could deduce I listen to for example, Judas Priest, Saxon, James Brown, Blind Guardian. If I listed bands a Cd led to it was probably more to clarify what bands i didn't listen to.

Last edited by DreamEvil001; 01-30-2007 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:32 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamEvil001 View Post

Raffi- Seriously. Embarassing but what the fuck; I loved Apples and Bananas when I was 5 and some of his cd's were my first experiences with music.

Every kid listened to that and/or RosenShontz when they were a kid. Anyone who says they didn't is either a liar or a sick fuck.

Also, Raffi > Sublime.

Fuck, Opeth > Sublime.

Last edited by JRA; 01-30-2007 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:37 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpeartjr. View Post

Fuck, Opeth > Sublime.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:56 PM
I'M BACK

Thumbs up

Eagles - Hell Freezes Over My dad is pretty much responsible for getting me into any real music. As far back as I can remember this album was always playing in my basement, my dad loves this band. So it was this particular album that got me into music, specifically rock. So I guess I was about 9 or 10 when I started to really listen to it.

AC/DC - Back In Black Bought this in 6th grade, when I got this album, it pretty much hooked me onto rock.... which lead me to:

Iron Maiden - Brave New World I heard The Wickerman on the radio shortly after this album was released and immediatley picked up the album. This is one of the two most influential albums for me. It got me into metal and was the reason I started to play guitar.

Helloween - The Keeper of the Seven Keys Part II Of course Kai Hansen was going to be a part of this at some point. When I heard the song "I Want Out" for the first time, I believe I was just getting into high school, I was in shock. I picked up Keeper II shortly afterwards, which eventually led me to:

Gamma Ray - Blast From The Past This is the album that led to my craze for power metal. It is a fine collection to say the VERY least. This is the other most influential album. Gamma Ray was pretty much the band that "opened the door" for me or so to speak.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:35 PM
J-Priest Fa Sho

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpeartjr. View Post
1.Every kid listened to that and/or RosenShontz when they were a kid. Anyone who says they didn't is either a liar or a sick fuck.

2.Also, Raffi > Sublime.

3.Fuck, Opeth > Sublime.

2. Yeah, I don't like'm as much as I once did, but influence me they did, on the list they went.

3. I wouldn't go that far
Old 01-30-2007, 09:11 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Here's an expansion on some of the albums I listed. I wont go overboard cause I don't wanna eat up all my time. I'll end up spending a crapton of time with short explanations anyway.

System of a down - System of a down: This was the first cd I ever bought for myself, and for awhile SOAD were my favorite band. I established myself as a fan of heavy music.

Korn - Korn: Korn were my favorite band for about a year, also my first concert I actually remember. They inspired me to pick up a guitar and my whole circle of friends at the time was established through this band, and while none of us like Korn anymore, most of us are still friends.

Metallica - ...And Justice For All: Metallica were also my favorite band at one point in time, and this album is and was (after a while) my favorite of theirs. This album opened me up to some real longer riff-driven songs as well as longer instrumental sections. Metallica were sorta my "gateway" band into real metal...

Iron Maiden - Number of the beast: Maybe it wasn't this album that changed me so much as my first Maiden concert that I saw not shortly after (2003's give me ed tour and I've seen 'em once yearly since ) Definitely not my favorite Maiden album now, but the aforementioned concert was what established Maiden as my favorite band, and they rather obviously still are. Before I got this album, I thought Maiden were kinda "gay" what with their "cheesy high pitched" guitar sounds and "cheesy high pitched" vocals, but with some pressing from my old Korn friends (we'd grown over the past year )I finally did a turnaround and got this album and... here I am!

Megadeth - Rust In Peace: This is still my favorite thrash album. Before this album, the only thrash band I liked was Metallica, and really only the first 2 and half albums were thrashy. This shit blew my mind, and marty friedmans solos... just wow... As a guitarist and a fan of metal, this changed my outlook on everything.

I'm tired I'll go chronologically further later. This is fun.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:14 AM
Exit quickly or feel the sting of the pimp hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Maiden View Post
It may take me that long for each album and I feel some things may be a bit too personal to explain.
Okay.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:15 AM
Exit quickly or feel the sting of the pimp hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Linkin Park- Hybrid Theory: This was the first album I bought that wasn't recorded by a boy band.
I sense a contradiction.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:54 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgodt View Post
I sense a contradiction.