Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Exodus -- West Springfield, VA -- November 25th, 2014
Bob Seger -- Saginaw, MI -- November 19th, 2014
Ace Frehley -- Uncasville, CT -- November 21st, 2014
Nuclear War Now! Fest IV -- Berlin, Germany -- November 7-8th, 2014
Deafheaven -- Toronto, Ontario -- November 21st, 2014

Old 01-30-2007, 05:45 AM
We're dying on the inside

I'll do kinda what Nick did when I get the time.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:21 AM
Catch The Rainbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgodt View Post

Pick the 5 most important then.
That would prove to be very difficult and would still take forever!
Old 01-30-2007, 08:37 AM
Exit quickly or feel the sting of the pimp hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Maiden View Post
That would prove to be very difficult and would still take forever!
I know. I think mine took an hour and a half.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:32 AM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

Beach Boys - ?
was a tape I used to listen to as a kid, don't remember what album/compilation it was, but it was the first music I listened to.

Weird Al - Dare To Be Stupid
was probably my most favorite album from all of my youth.

Pink Floyd - The Wall
this one was my favorite from around my later highschool days.

Dire Straits - Private Investigations
another importatant one

Kamelot - Fourth Legacy

Iced Earth - Alive In Athens
well, it seemed special when I got it, and its still a pretty great album.

Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
Amazing concept album

Iron Maiden - Seventh Son
needs no explanation
Old 01-30-2007, 12:45 PM

Okay, here goes nothing. I'm gonna keep the number reasonable because not every band I love made an album that was important in my evolution as a music fan.

Linkin Park- Hybrid Theory: This was the first album I bought that wasn't recorded by a boy band. Yes, I had dark beginnings. I heard a song from this on one of the pop radio stations I listened to and bought the album on my tenth or eleventh birthday. I was prompted to sell my boy band collection and buy some albums by radio rock outfits like Matchbox Twenty and Creed, since music with instruments was still new to me.

Iron Maiden- The Number of the Beast: A couple years after being converted to rock music, I bought Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 and happened to hear a song by a band called Iron Maiden, a song entitled "The Number of the Beast" which said all kinds of things that went against my Christian upbringing. Impressionable twelve-year-old that I was, I went out and bought the album bearing said song and played it loud every night for a month, then bought Piece of Mind and did the same damn thing. This is easily the most important album I've ever purchased.

Queensrÿche- Operation: Mindcrime: Upon discovering that I was a fledgling metalhead, a family friend recommended to me "the greatest album of all time", as he put it, Operation: Mindcrime. Skeptical but still impressionable, I bought it the next morning (yes, that soon). I was, needless to say, blown the fuck away. My first concept album, and my first album of what was to become my favorite band, Mindcrime remains my favorite album, and I'm eternally grateful that I reciprocated when I was told to buy it.

Alice in Chains- Dirt: This is a late addition, and I'm not even sure as to how it was/is super-influential on me and my tastes. It wasn't even my first AIC album. But this is the album that made me really want to play guitar, and the first album I heard that turned me on to a style of metal that didn't involve vocalists in the vein of Tate, Dickinson, Halford, and Dio. Listening to it again tonight has helped me realize that this is truly one of the greatest albums of all time.

At the Gates- Slaughter of the Soul: After maybe nine months of being into metal, I still had never heard anything with extreme vocals, and while being aware of their existence, I thought them barbaric and stupid. Then I was listening to Music Choice and heard "Blinded By Fear" by At the Gates. I realized, hey, this actually ain't half bad, and when I saw Slaughter of the Soul in CD Connection, I bought it. For awhile I considered it a top ten record for me, but my evolution in tastes has knocked it down several notches. However, I respect it immensely for getting my ears accustomed to death vocals.

Rush- Moving Pictures: For a time after becoming a fan of metal, I refused to listen to anything else. It was all metal, all the time, and fuck the people who didn't do the same. I realized what a goddamned moron I was when I bought Moving Pictures on a whim, remembering that I had liked some Rush from classic rock radio. My view of music did a 180 soon thereafter, as I have arguably become more prog than metal.

Mastodon- Leviathan: As a metalhead unexposed to any bands except the main thirty or so that come to mind immediately when speaking of metal, buying Mastodon's 2004 opus was the first time in my life that I realized metal still had a scene, and it gave me a hope in my generation that I had never possessed. I still think Mastodon are the shining light of the "new" scene, even though I've been exposed to quite a few more newer bands since the release of Leviathan.

Genesis- The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway: I just bought this one in August of 2006, and already I can recognize the indelible mark it left on the way I look at music. For those who think I became a huge Genesis fan overnight, I actually already had Foxtrot and We Can't Dance at the time I bought The Lamb. However, they hadn't affected me quite like this one did and still is. Peter Gabriel's lyrics were extremely cryptic, and for the first time in my musical life, I took an interest in what was really being said and deciphered all of the songs to see what the story's message truly was. It opened my eyes to schools of thought I didn't know existed and molded me to the state I would say I presently occupy: the highly intellectual music fan.

Whew.

Last edited by DethMaiden; 01-30-2007 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:55 PM
N00B

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Okay, here goes nothing. I'm gonna keep the number reasonable because not every band I love made an album that was important in my evolution as a music fan.

Linkin Park- Hybrid Theory: This was the first album I bought that wasn't recorded by a boy band. Yes, I had dark beginnings. I heard a song from this on one of the pop radio stations I listened to and bought the album on my tenth or eleventh birthday. I was prompted to sell my boy band collection and buy some albums by radio rock outfits like Matchbox Twenty and Creed, since music with instruments was still new to me.

Iron Maiden- The Number of the Beast: A couple years after being converted to rock music, I bought Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 and happened to hear a song by a band called Iron Maiden, a song entitled "The Number of the Beast" which said all kinds of things that went against my Christian upbringing. Impressionable twelve-year-old that I was, I went out and bought the album bearing said song and played it loud every night for a month, then bought Piece of Mind and did the same damn thing. This is easily the most important album I've ever purchased.

Queensr˙che- Operation: Mindcrime: Upon discovering that I was a fledgling metalhead, a family friend recommended to me "the greatest album of all time", as he put it, Operation: Mindcrime. Skeptical but still impressionable, I bought it the next morning (yes, that soon). I was, needless to say, blown the fuck away. My first concept album, and my first album of what was to become my favorite band, Mindcrime remains my favorite album, and I'm eternally grateful that I reciprocated when I was told to buy it.

At the Gates- Slaughter of the Soul: After maybe nine months of being into metal, I still had never heard anything with extreme vocals, and while being aware of their existence, I thought them barbaric and stupid. Then I was listening to Music Choice and heard "Blinded By Fear" by At the Gates. I realized, hey, this actually ain't half bad, and when I saw Slaughter of the Soul in CD Connection, I bought it. For awhile I considered it a top ten record for me, but my evolution in tastes has knocked it down several notches. However, I respect it immensely for getting my ears accustomed to death vocals.

Rush- Moving Pictures: For a time after becoming a fan of metal, I refused to listen to anything else. It was all metal, all the time, and fuck the people who didn't do the same. I realized what a goddamned moron I was when I bought Moving Pictures on a whim, remembering that I had liked some Rush from classic rock radio. My view of music did a 180 soon thereafter, as I have arguably become more prog than metal.

Mastodon- Leviathan: As a metalhead unexposed to any bands except the main thirty or so that come to mind immediately when speaking of metal, buying Mastodon's 2004 opus was the first time in my life that I realized metal still had a scene, and it gave me a hope in my generation that I had never possessed. I still think Mastodon are the shining light of the "new" scene, even though I've been exposed to quite a few more newer bands since the release of Leviathan.

Genesis- The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway: I just bought this one in August of 2006, and already I can recognize the indelible mark it left on the way I look at music. For those who think I became a huge Genesis fan overnight, I actually already had Foxtrot and We Can't Dance at the time I bought The Lamb. However, they hadn't affected me quite like this one did and still is. Peter Gabriel's lyrics were extremely cryptic, and for the first time in my musical life, I took an interest in what was really being said and deciphered all of the songs to see what the story's message truly was. It opened my eyes to schools of thought I didn't know existed and molded me to the state I would say I presently occupy: the highly intellectual music fan.

Whew.

Yes Great stuff, thank you for sharing!!!
Old 01-30-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
Yes Great stuff, thank you for sharing!!!
I realize the only one we share is Mindcrime. Kinda weird!
Old 01-30-2007, 01:40 PM
Catch The Rainbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgodt View Post
I know. I think mine took an hour and a half.
It may take me that long for each album and I feel some things may be a bit too personal to explain.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:44 PM

Went back and added Dirt by Alice in Chains. How could I forget?
Old 01-30-2007, 04:50 PM
Regretting my username

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Went back and added Dirt by Alice in Chains. How could I forget?
I hate to say...but Linkin Park are my guilty pleasure.....