Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Flotsam and Jetsam -- West Hollywood, CA -- July 9th, 2014
King Buzzo -- Dover, NH -- July 9, 2014
Slash -- Hampton Beach, NH -- July 9th, 2014
Sebastian Bach -- London, England -- July 9th, 2014
Extreme -- London, England -- July 8th, 2014

  #611  
Old 06-03-2008, 05:07 PM
Benjamin Breeg Benjamin Breeg is offline
N00B
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 38
The Great And Secret Show by Clive Barker

It's out there
Reply With Quote
  #612  
Old 06-06-2008, 07:59 AM
DethMaiden's Avatar
DethMaiden DethMaiden is offline
We're dying on the inside
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 28,824
Blog Entries: 1
From Pitchfork, pretty well-put I think:


"Not all prog is created equal. Take prog metal, for instance. In one corner are Mastodon, who are prog to the core: long songs, lots of noodling, worship of 1970s Genesis (at least on the part of drummer Brann Dailor, an avowed Phil Collins acolyte). In the other corner are Dream Theater, who are equally prog: long songs, lots of noodling, worship of 1970s Rush (at least on the part of drummer Mike Portnoy, an avowed Neil Peart acolyte). Hipsters love Mastodon, but they won't go near Dream Theater. Dream Theater fans are equally unlikely to sport Mastodon t-shirts.

Perhaps this split is due to friction (in the musical sense). Mastodon are closer to prog as it was in the 70s-- self-indulgent, yes, but also earthy and analog. Dream Theater are the apex of prog's, um, progression since then. They're digitally clean and hyper-precise, poster boys for Pro Tools. For whatever reason, the white belt set gravitates towards prog's older aesthetic (see also the Mars Volta), while men with ponytails discuss kick drum pedals in Dream Theater forums. If "indie" is an aesthetic, it stops at certain thresholds of precision and heaviness."
__________________
Mortals are mortar and life is the fuse.
Reply With Quote
  #613  
Old 06-06-2008, 08:50 AM
Div's Avatar
Div Div is offline
cool babies, strange but not a stranger
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,355
Neither of those two shitheaded canidates hardly deserve the emoticon.
Reply With Quote
  #614  
Old 06-06-2008, 08:53 AM
DethMaiden's Avatar
DethMaiden DethMaiden is offline
We're dying on the inside
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 28,824
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
Neither of those two shitheaded canidates hardly deserve the emoticon.
I really don't get your beef with Barack.
__________________
Mortals are mortar and life is the fuse.
Reply With Quote
  #615  
Old 06-06-2008, 09:20 AM
Div's Avatar
Div Div is offline
cool babies, strange but not a stranger
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I really don't get your beef with Barack.


Well he's just full of empty rhetoric. Saying "CHAAAAAAAAAANGE" over and over doesn't amount to anything, he's just playing the political game. But to be specific; he claims to be against the war but voted to leave the troops there, he claims to be for civil rights but voted to support the patriot act and is part of the homeland security gestapo, he's anti 2nd ammendment, he constantly makes references to things that don't exist (like the article in Life magazine), he flip flops on the issues, he supposedly condems the racist remarks of his pastor yet still quotes them in his own book, he supports socialized healthcare, etc. Just don't get your hopes up on him.

In short he's just not a friend of a pro-liberty, pro-freedom society and will continue to expand the government while the people get the shaft. People think this next election will be something revolutionary, but no matter which one wins the establishment will still get in, business as usual.
Reply With Quote
  #616  
Old 06-06-2008, 09:43 AM
ChildrenofSodom's Avatar
ChildrenofSodom ChildrenofSodom is offline
Regretting my username
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 12,259
Blog Entries: 1
Reverend Wright isnt wrong.....
Reply With Quote
  #617  
Old 06-06-2008, 09:54 AM
Div's Avatar
Div Div is offline
cool babies, strange but not a stranger
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
Reverend Wright isnt wrong.....

About how white people ruin the world? What happened to not looking at people from a collectivist mindset? Racism is still racism.

Not everything he says is wrong, I think he says alot of good things, but the racist comments weren't needed, and out of all the things he says those shouldn't have been what obama chose for his book.
Reply With Quote
  #618  
Old 06-06-2008, 10:58 AM
ChildrenofSodom's Avatar
ChildrenofSodom ChildrenofSodom is offline
Regretting my username
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 12,259
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
About how white people ruin the world? What happened to not looking at people from a collectivist mindset? Racism is still racism.

Not everything he says is wrong, I think he says alot of good things, but the racist comments weren't needed, and out of all the things he says those shouldn't have been what obama chose for his book.
The thing is though, racism is relevant to ones situation. Yes, looking at a group of people and judging them based on the color of their skin is wrong, but the poor black community in this nation has been largely fucked over by the rich white community of this nation. Sure, not all blacks are poor (not all whites are rich) and not all white people oppress black people, but if you stand in the reverends shoes, you can see how easy it is to make such accusations. To ignore the fact that whites have instutitionally oppressed blacks in this nation from the 1600s to today is a grave mistake.

And I know you dont buy into the 19-Arab conspiracy, but what Wright says about 9/11 is accurate. Americans (over the passed 100+ years) have dont whatever the fuck they want around the world, without consequence. It is no wonder 9/11 happened. Blowback. And the funny thing is, the American public is to retarded to realize that if we bomb other countries, they are going to bomb us back.

But yeah, saying that the government created AIDS to kill black people, thats a little wack.
Reply With Quote
  #619  
Old 06-06-2008, 11:45 AM
Div's Avatar
Div Div is offline
cool babies, strange but not a stranger
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
The thing is though, racism is relevant to ones situation. Yes, looking at a group of people and judging them based on the color of their skin is wrong, but the poor black community in this nation has been largely fucked over by the rich white community of this nation. Sure, not all blacks are poor (not all whites are rich) and not all white people oppress black people, but if you stand in the reverends shoes, you can see how easy it is to make such accusations. To ignore the fact that whites have instutitionally oppressed blacks in this nation from the 1600s to today is a grave mistake.
Well you said it yourself, not all whites have oppressed all blacks. And because of that by using just a general term as "whites" and saying they are responsible for the misfortunes of "blacks", especially in todays age where no living blacks have been slaves, is just ignorant. When he says "whites" that points the finger at you, me, and our families, even those who immigrated here long after slavery was abolished and had nothing to do with it. Why should I be expected to feel guilty over slavery?

If he said "the rich elite, politicians, african tribal leaders, spanish slave traders, and pre 1865 plantation owners are responsible for slavery and mistreatment of blacks" then he would be correct. But that message doesn't really rally people up as much as saying "white man is the devil". And what does a message like that even do? It won't make two groups of people put aside their differences and relax, it just stirs up tension between them.

Besides, what about other countries with arab slaves or chinese slaves? It shouldn't be a debate over black vs white, but as with everything else, slavery vs liberty.

Quote:
And I know you dont buy into the 19-Arab conspiracy,
Quote:
but what Wright says about 9/11 is accurate. Americans (over the passed 100+ years) have dont whatever the fuck they want around the world, without consequence. It is no wonder 9/11 happened. Blowback. And the funny thing is, the American public is to retarded to realize that if we bomb other countries, they are going to bomb us back.

But yeah, saying that the government created AIDS to kill black people, thats a little wack.
Regarding that, he's talking level headed. But then again, Ron Paul has been saying that for years. I think the man has the right ideas about government but the wrong idea about race.



But getting back to obama... yea, he's gonna keep the same bureaucracy set up by the bush administration. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss, and be sure to present your national ID card at police checkpoints in a speedy fashion.
Reply With Quote
  #620  
Old 06-06-2008, 11:48 AM
DethMaiden's Avatar
DethMaiden DethMaiden is offline
We're dying on the inside
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 28,824
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
But getting back to obama... yea, he's gonna keep the same bureaucracy set up by the bush administration. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss, and be sure to present your national ID card at police checkpoints in a speedy fashion.
I think the internet convinced you of this without presenting you with facts.
__________________
Mortals are mortar and life is the fuse.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:16 AM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008