Wayne Static -- Birmingham, AL -- April 17th, 2014
Ghost -- Toronto, Ontario -- April 17th, 2014
Rainbow Bar & Grill 42nd Anniversary -- West Hollywood, CA -- April 13th, 2014
The Goddamn Gallows -- Long Beach, CA -- April 16th, 2014

Old 08-14-2007, 05:40 AM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by zgodt View Post
I think it's because Holden Caulfield is an original character with an original voice. He might not seem like it so much to us now because we've seen his type of character imitated and duplicated so often -- but before Salinger, how many serious authors were featuring wiseass misfit teenagers as protagonists?

I didn't read it until I was almost 30, but it made me wish I'd read it when I was 15; I probably would've enjoyed it more then. Meanwhile, as far as young wiseass misfit protagonists go, I enjoyed the novel A Confederacy of Dunces a lot more than Catcher in the Rye.
I will say I enjoyed the writing style. The book went by very quickly because of the conversational tone. I dunno, I guess I shouldn't have been so bent on expecting some action in the end. On reflection I guess it was pretty brilliant.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:22 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
I started to type "Oh fuck off, those are both good books and you should be glad to be reading them" but then I remembered how as I high school senior I didn't read most of the novels on my required reading list, including Crime and Punishment and A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, both of which I still haven't read and kick myself incessantly for not having read in the first place.
Crime & Punishment is badass. Its fucking long, but its badass.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:29 AM
Exit quickly or feel the sting of the pimp hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpeartjr. View Post
Crime & Punishment is badass. Its fucking long, but its badass.
I believe it. The weird thing is, I've gone on to read a couple of other books by Dostoyevsky -- even The Brothers Karamazov -- but never gone back for C&P.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:45 AM
Regretting my username

Quote:
I started to type "Oh fuck off, those are both good books and you should be glad to be reading them" but then I remembered how as I high school senior I didn't read most of the novels on my required reading list, including Crime and Punishment and A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, both of which I still haven't read and kick myself incessantly for not having read in the first place.
I DO want to read them. I am sure they will be good, because of all the hype they get...And obviously my teacher thinks they're good. But I only have a week to finish them. I wish I hadnt wasted my summer.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:11 AM
HEY! LISTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I will say I enjoyed the writing style. The book went by very quickly because of the conversational tone. I dunno, I guess I shouldn't have been so bent on expecting some action in the end. On reflection I guess it was pretty brilliant.
Well, I sorta always thought that the way there is no real big climax at the end was part of what made the book more... real. I think you should read Salinger's short story A Perfect Day For Bananafish.

Quote:
I believe it. The weird thing is, I've gone on to read a couple of other books by Dostoyevsky -- even The Brothers Karamazov -- but never gone back for C&P.
You should totally get around to reading it, it's brilliant.

I'm reading Sailing Alone Around the Room by Billy Collins, because my college is making me. And... eh, maybe I just don't like the idea of reading a book of poems all the way through.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
I'm reading Sailing Alone Around the Room by Billy Collins, because my college is making me. And... eh, maybe I just don't like the idea of reading a book of poems all the way through.

I can understand not wanting to read a Billy Collins book all the way, through. He's okay in small doses. But really, I don't know why you should complain, I'm sure you can finish the whole book in under an hour. As poetry goes, he's pretty light reading.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:43 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

suprisingly, i never had to read Catcher for any of my english classes. but out of all my required reading books, i enjoyed Frankenstein the most and Barabbas the least.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
suprisingly, i never had to read Catcher for any of my english classes. but out of all my required reading books, i enjoyed Frankenstein the most and Barabbas the least.
Troy rules in required reading selections: I've read Anthem, Fahrenheit 451, Animal Farm, and 1984---four of my all time favorite books---for class.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
Troy rules in required reading selections: I've read Anthem, Fahrenheit 451, Animal Farm, and 1984---four of my all time favorite books---for class.
You may be misinterpreting the data. Perhaps those are four of your all time favorite books because Troy has done such a shitty job of exposing you to really good books....
Old 08-14-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
You may be misinterpreting the data. Perhaps those are four of your all time favorite books because Troy has done such a shitty job of exposing you to really good books....
I've read a lot of books I've loved not for class, too. And what's wrong with those books, other than their thematic similarity to one another?