Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Gideon -- Toledo, OH -- April 22nd, 2014
Queensryche -- Uncasville, CT -- April 19th, 2014
Scott Stapp -- London, England -- April 23rd, 2014
Megadeth -- Quito, Ecuador -- April 22nd, 2014
Ghost -- Lawrence, KS -- April 22nd, 2014

  #501  
Old 08-08-2007, 04:52 PM
zgodt's Avatar
zgodt zgodt is offline
Exit quickly or feel the sting of the pimp hand.
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
Oh, I'll agree that they're assholes, but I still think it's funny that shes getting spammed. Also, saying "women are not oppressed" was applying to the united states only, as I realize there's plenty of other places in the world that are still behind the times.
Women have it much better in the States than they do in much of the world, of course. But even here they still aren't on equal footing with men (politically and socially, I mean), and still face violence, restraint, and discrimination at the hands of men.
__________________
So well informed I don't know where the truth begins.
Reply With Quote
  #502  
Old 08-08-2007, 09:14 PM
SomewhereInTime72's Avatar
SomewhereInTime72 SomewhereInTime72 is offline
HEY! LISTEN!
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BKLYN NY
Posts: 12,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgodt View Post
Women have it much better in the States than they do in much of the world, of course. But even here they still aren't on equal footing with men (politically and socially, I mean), and still face violence, restraint, and discrimination at the hands of men.
I agree, but I also think it's definitely not really the way the women on that site describe it as...
Reply With Quote
  #503  
Old 08-08-2007, 11:21 PM
zgodt's Avatar
zgodt zgodt is offline
Exit quickly or feel the sting of the pimp hand.
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post
I agree, but I also think it's definitely not really the way the women on that site describe it as...
Where do you think they have it wrong?

I think the gut responses of some of the posters there are a bit blunt, a little bit simplistic. Everything may not be as starkly black and white as some of their posts suggest. But then, that's rhetoric for you. And, of course, that's what you get from the internet. Our political and aesthetic discussions here are full of half-baked overstatements too, I'm sure, with none more guilty than me.
__________________
So well informed I don't know where the truth begins.
Reply With Quote
  #504  
Old 08-10-2007, 06:59 PM
powerslave_85's Avatar
powerslave_85 powerslave_85 is offline
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Burlington, VT
Posts: 10,967
I picked up a nifty little book a few days ago called Our Band Could Be Your Life, which profiles the histories of 13 indie rock/punk bands, like Minor Threat, Sonic Youth, Black Flag, The Replacements, The Minutemen, et. al. I can hardly put it down, and it rekindled my interest in several of the bands, and may have made me a fan of another (Mission of Burma).
__________________
"COLONEL KLINK, WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME?!"
Reply With Quote
  #505  
Old 08-11-2007, 04:36 AM
zgodt's Avatar
zgodt zgodt is offline
Exit quickly or feel the sting of the pimp hand.
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
I picked up a nifty little book a few days ago called Our Band Could Be Your Life, which profiles the histories of 13 indie rock/punk bands, like Minor Threat, Sonic Youth, Black Flag, The Replacements, The Minutemen, et. al. I can hardly put it down, and it rekindled my interest in several of the bands, and may have made me a fan of another (Mission of Burma).
Mission of Burma kicks ass.
__________________
So well informed I don't know where the truth begins.
Reply With Quote
  #506  
Old 08-11-2007, 12:13 PM
ADD's Avatar
ADD ADD is offline
Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Everywhere Else
Posts: 22,954
Is 'My War' the best Black Flag album? They're the only one of those bands that interest me, and I checked it out and its a kickass album. I'm wondering if I should look into any more of their stuff?
__________________
Feel It
Reply With Quote
  #507  
Old 08-11-2007, 12:43 PM
powerslave_85's Avatar
powerslave_85 powerslave_85 is offline
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Burlington, VT
Posts: 10,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
Is 'My War' the best Black Flag album? They're the only one of those bands that interest me, and I checked it out and its a kickass album. I'm wondering if I should look into any more of their stuff?
Damaged and the Nervous Breakdown EP are their best material, IMO. Also, if you like them then there is really no reason you wouldn't like Minor Threat.
__________________
"COLONEL KLINK, WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME?!"
Reply With Quote
  #508  
Old 08-11-2007, 05:34 PM
DethMaiden's Avatar
DethMaiden DethMaiden is offline
We're dying on the inside
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 28,824
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85 View Post
Damaged and the Nervous Breakdown EP are their best material, IMO. Also, if you like them then there is really no reason you wouldn't like Minor Threat.
I like Minor Threat a lot more than Black Flag (though both kick ass).
__________________
Mortals are mortar and life is the fuse.
Reply With Quote
  #509  
Old 08-11-2007, 05:56 PM
powerslave_85's Avatar
powerslave_85 powerslave_85 is offline
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Burlington, VT
Posts: 10,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden View Post
I like Minor Threat a lot more than Black Flag (though both kick ass).
Same here.
__________________
"COLONEL KLINK, WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME?!"
Reply With Quote
  #510  
Old 08-11-2007, 06:30 PM
JRA's Avatar
JRA JRA is offline
Traditionalist Asshole
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 19,720
1) I"M SOORRY FOR SOMETHING I DIDN'T DO I LYNCHED SOMEBODY BUT I DON'T KNOW WHO!

2) Now reading: Neil Peart: Traveling Music.
__________________
I listened to three Babymetal tracks...sounds like Chun Li getting butt-fucked by Andrew W.K. That's not something I ever wanted to hear.
-El Gordo
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:11 PM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008