Skeletonwitch -- West Springfield, VA -- September 12th, 2014
KISS -- Lake Oswego, OR -- September 14th, 2014
Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014
King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 08-28-2014, 06:20 PM
Somewhere Back In Time

Happy 10th Anniversary MetalSetLists!!

A day late, but whatever. This board was officially opened on 8/27/04. I remember seeing the thread that HTE posted on the Iron Maiden forum about this cool new site for set lists. Six people joined on the first day:

WorldSlavery82
TheSeventhOne
ADD
es156
EvilCheeseWedge
Bouville

Only 3 more people joined in all of September, but in October things started to really take off. Of course, it was mostly Iron Maiden fans and the like. We mainly argued about important stuff like whether Judas Priest was better than Iron Maiden and whether Blaze was better than DiAnno. (We are still not sure if Blaze is actually the messiah or not.) There were several young 'uns that did the majority of the posting and their post count records still stand to this day. We had a mod that constantly spammed the board with bizarre pictures and another mod who discovered the mythical chupacabra. It was fun times, to say the least. But all good things come to an end...

Initially, you had to register to even read the posts. But eventually HTE made the site public and you only had to register to create new posts. Several people stopped posting around that time (including a couple of the mods) but the total number of registrations eventually increased. And then most of you lot came around and started posting all this crap about death metal and death core and WWE, blah blah blah. ( ) But we have had our share of epic posts and chaos and banning lunatic noobs. So it hasn't been entirely all fun and games, but it hasn't been all misery and heartbreak either.

Most of the old guard is gone now and most of the current crew don't care about Blaze or DiAnno or chupacabras. It is hard to say what the next 10 years will bring or who will be around to see it. But it should be fun to see the board continue it's bizarre evolution. Most of us have met a lot of cool people through this board and shared some cool concert experiences. So, I for one hope to be around to see it through another 10 years.

Regardless, I would just like to say Happy 10th Anniversary MetalSetLists! And more importantly, a big THANK YOU to hot_turkey_ed for making all of this possible and letting us play in his sandbox. Without his expense of money, time and effort none of this would exist.

Up the Irons!
Old 08-28-2014, 06:26 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Thank you based Ed for keeping the best website for heavy metal discussion alive on the web. <3

Post your fave MS.com memories:

Mine is the Tom G. Warrior cuckold thread
09/22 - RA/TA/Radkey ?
09/23 - Crowbar
Old 08-28-2014, 08:55 PM
One who onions things

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
Mine is the Tom G. Warrior cuckold thread
I think many of us would agree there. The epic lolfest that was wolverinekills is a favorite too, as was fonzryche.
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16
Old 08-28-2014, 09:00 PM
Buahahahahaha

yeah, Tom G. Warrior thing was by far one of the most entertaining things from this board. And yes, thanks to Ed for making this site. I've met some awesome people through this site, discovered great artists, and it's great there's a place where I can share all of my cool concert experiences and opinions about my favorites artists, and people bother to read about them and sometimes even care enough to respond.
10/30 KING DIAMOND
11/06 Intronaut
Old 08-28-2014, 09:10 PM
That Guy

I'm glad I helped out with the Tom G. Warrior thread as much as I did.

and Happy Birthday Metalsetlists!
Old 08-28-2014, 09:18 PM
One who onions things

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapguitarer View Post
And yes, thanks to Ed for making this site. I've met some awesome people through this site, discovered great artists, and it's great there's a place where I can share all of my cool concert experiences and opinions about my favorites artists, and people bother to read about them and sometimes even care enough to respond.
Word. I met Andrew Metalhead through this site, and who the fuck knows where I'd be at right now if it weren't for that. So grateful for all the amazing music I've found from here too.
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16
Old 08-28-2014, 10:26 PM
Close your eyes forget your name

wow 10 years is pretty impressive; I've been a member of a number of metal forums and this hands down is the best in terms of discussion, news/rumors, and comedy. I joined a little over 4 years ago and I plan to stay for a while

Hmm...the Wolvinekills drama was popcorn material, the yearly Mayhem Fest thread is always good for a laugh.

11/19- Judas Priest
Old 08-28-2014, 10:32 PM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF View Post
I'm glad I helped out with the Tom G. Warrior thread as much as I did.
Me too.
11/14 - Slayer
Old 08-28-2014, 11:04 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

I've been here almost six years but I don't really remember anything before 2011. I don't really go to any other boards, I don't have facebook or twitter or any of that crap. I'm glad I met other people who share my love of video games, wresting, spelling mistakes and lists. It seems like pretty much anything I post on here there's at least one person who has as much passion for it as I do. Except the Amazing Race. So that's cool to have someone to discuss things with since my wife and I are polar opposites. It would be nice to have some newer blood but at the same time it's nice to have a smaller community where I'm familiar with everyone. And if there were too many people all the discussion of the things I enjoy would be just people talking and not listening.

My fondest memory is that Tom G. Warrior night of insanity. I still can't listen to any of his music without thinking about him peeing in someones mouth. And I love the kid, I love and respect his being who he is and listening to what he wants and his balls for putting up with some of the hate. And for not getting scarred away. But when TWATTY first joined this board there were some epic moments/discussions/confusion too.
11/01 - Suffocation
11/30 - Devin Townsend
12/06 -DistantWorlds:theMusicofFinalFantasy
Old 08-28-2014, 11:16 PM
MAN IS NOT ALONE IN THIS WORLD AND MANKIND IS NOT COMPLETELY ABSURD

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
My fondest memory is that Tom G. Warrior night of insanity. I still can't listen to any of his music without thinking about him peeing in someones mouth.
It was actually the girl that peed in someones mouth. Not Tom.
11/14 - Slayer