Tankcrimes Brainsqueeze 2 -- Oakland, CA -- April 18th, 2014
Unearth -- Pontiac, MI -- April 17th, 2014
Wayne Static -- Birmingham, AL -- April 17th, 2014
Ghost -- Toronto, Ontario -- April 17th, 2014
Rainbow Bar & Grill 42nd Anniversary -- West Hollywood, CA -- April 13th, 2014

Old 01-06-2007, 06:15 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

Thumbs up Band Review - Sabaton

I haven't ever heard this band mentioned before on this board so I thought I'd share it with you guys.

I was leaving Steve a myspace comment a few days ago and saw one of his freinds had told him to check out a band called Sabaton, so I did the same.

My first impression by reading their website was that they were just another power metal band (six young guys from Sweden, cartoonish logo, and they're named after a piece of medieval armor), but I was wrong. The first album I downloaded was Primo Victoria, and it took me completley by suprise! Solid, solid, solid tracks all the way through, no cheesy filler material here, any song could easily become a single. I'm not even sure if they can be considered power metal because they deviate alot from the power metal style.

There are a few unique things you'll notice when you listen to them. First off is the vocals. A very unique singing style comes from Joakim Broden (the guy who looks like Sgt. Slaughter), it's much deeper (baratone) then your average power metal singer who has his balls in a vice (tenor/falsetto). This has got to be one of the most unique voices in modern metal. Secondly you'll notice the theme. War, all the way through (except for the songs Metal Machine and Metal Crue which are homages to other great bands). And its from a soldier's point of view, not a protestors. Think A Matter Of Like And Death or Sodom's M16/Agent Orange as far as theme goes. No cheesy ballads about swords, horses, and magical wizards. Anyone with basic knowledge of the events they sing about should be able to understand the songs. The music itself is catchy as hell and it's pretty hard to just give it a single listen through.

Their third album follows up perfectly to the second one and shows the consistency that this band has and how they're capable of staying true to their sound. Their first album tho sounds like typical power metal and isn't anywhere as good as the next two albums were. The vocals are lower and it has more keyboards, I think that's because the singer's English wasn't as good and his accent was too heavy. However they improved so much sense then they pretty much disowned the first album, which shows how much potential they have.

You will like this band if:

- you like fun bands
- you like power metal
- you want to hear something new
- you like post "sword-and-shield" warfare (world war 2, vietnam, desert storm, etc.)

Here's their website, myspace and some reviews (I suggest you read them because they're more well written than mine is):

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=68440
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=22725829
http://www.sabaton.net/

Overall this is a fun, new band with some very unique charicteristics. Go download their albums now. And I said download, not buy, because time spent driving to the store is time wasted not listening to Sabaton. I recommend Primo Victoria for your first album listen. They've pretty much instantly gotten into my favorites and I'm sure that other people here will like them also.

Last edited by Div; 01-07-2007 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:39 AM
In Search of Truth

Very cool, I'm gonna check these guys out... I'd heard the name before, but never seen a positive review on them so I couldn't gather an opinion... Thanks.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:37 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
Very cool, I'm gonna check these guys out... I'd heard the name before, but never seen a positive review on them so I couldn't gather an opinion... Thanks.
np

c'mon guys, 23 views and only 1 person has an opinon?
Old 01-10-2007, 12:06 AM
Hearts I Rip?

Exclamation

I think they're OK.

I like the title track from the new album. And the deeper vocals make them slightly more unique than the average Power Metal band.

Metal Crue is just lame though...