Queen -- Boston, MA -- July 22nd, 2014
Devourment -- Rochester, NY -- July 21st, 2014
Nine Inch Nails -- Morrison, CO -- July 21st, 2014
Helmet -- West Hollywood, CA -- July 11th, 2014

Old 12-21-2006, 06:31 PM
Regretting my username

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomewhereInTime72 View Post

The Decemberists are incredibly generic and boring and not even "indie" anymore, as theyre on a major label. They're one of "those" bands.
but hipsters still listen to them.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:49 PM
Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
Of Brothers and the Bear, The Decemberists, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, etc...all those bands sound the same to me.
I have never even HEARD of anyone of those bands

But judging by their names alone, they sound absolutely ridiculous.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:04 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD View Post
There isn't a single person on here I can think of that "doesn't really like metal." I'm totally confused.

Maybe just because not everyone has such a short range of taste "Let's see here, from Pink Floyd to Slayer, right on!"

Or wait, "Dragonforce to Manticora", now that's broad for ya Yeah, real shocker that people like A LOT of non-metal, myself definitely included.

Let's break it down like this, looking at just my iTunes and how I separate genres:

"Ambient"- 8 artists
"Folk"- 8 artists
"Hardcore/Punk"- 14 artists
"Jazz"- 2 artists
"Latin"- 1 artist
"Metal"- 292 artists
"Progressive"- 66 artists
"Rock"- 229 artists

So, as I assume you were referring to me and Brad in that post, I hope you realize that the vast majority of music I listen to is indeed metal, but that it's practically NECESSARY to listen to other stuff too.
You seem to be a huge advocate of a view I cannot stand.

I hate people who condemn those for being "too close-minded" just cause they don't constantly rave about the other music they like, or fall one extra genre short of their interests.
Just because you don't ever hear me talk about music that's not metal, does by NO MEANS mean I don't listen to any. Hell, I've become a HUGE classical music nerd over the past 2 years so, and my interests stretch to various other genres as well, I'm on a board titled "metal setlists", keyword there being metal, so when I come here, I'll give you one guess at what I'm expecting to talk about.
All you need to know about me is as follows:
I am open to anything you throw at me, but I have absolutely no plans on listening to it if it doesnt meet standards I have for what I listen to. I have absolutely no motive to listen to music I dislike for one reason or another just so I can meet someone else's standards of being open-minded. I know what I like, and my favorite bands and most-listened to things totally reflect it, which brings me to something else.
I think your biggest problem with me comes from the fact that I'm admittedly a huge power metal freak. I don't have a problem with you not liking the music or me, but you are a big hypocrite for taking the stance you have taken.
If you were as open and broad-minded as you claim, you would've taken the time to realize that by and far, not nearly all power metal meets the stereotypes perplexed about it. While many bands do uphold the traditions of cheesy battle and such, there are just as many bands within the genre that are far from that. I don't have any problem with people that don't like power metal as long as they've given most of it a fair chance and don't pick on it using stereotypes that are more false than true.

Last edited by Maiden33; 12-21-2006 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:19 PM
Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden33 View Post
You seem to be a huge advocate of a view I cannot stand.

I hate people who condemn those for being "too close-minded" just cause they don't constantly rave about the other music they like, or fall one extra genre short of their interests.
Just because you don't ever hear me talk about music that's not metal, does by NO MEANS mean I don't listen to any. Hell, I've become a HUGE classical music nerd over the past 2 years so, and my interests stretch to various other genres as well, I'm on a board titled "metal setlists", keyword there being metal, so when I come here, I'll give you one guess at what I'm expecting to talk about.
All you need to know about me is as follows:
I am open to anything you throw at me, but I have absolutely no plans on listening to it if it doesnt meet standards I have for what I listen to. I have absolutely no motive to listen to music I dislike for one reason or another just so I can meet someone else's standards of being open-minded. I know what I like, and my favorite bands and most-listened to things totally reflect it, which brings me to something else.
I think your biggest problem with me comes from the fact that I'm admittedly a huge power metal freak. I don't have a problem with you not liking the music or me, but you are a big hypocrite for taking the stance you have taken.
If you were as open and broad-minded as you claim, you would've taken the time to realize that by and far, not nearly all power metal meets the stereotypes perplexed about it. While many bands do uphold the traditions of cheesy battle and such, there are just as many bands within the genre that are far from that. I don't have any problem with people that don't like power metal as long as they've given most of it a fair chance and don't pick on it using stereotypes that are more false than true.
I don't have ANY problem with you. If you could point to where I insulted you then that'd be great. I was just commenting that yeah, I guess even though this is a "metal" board, its ok to talk about and enjoy other genres too. I don't care that you listen to a lot of power metal, cheesy or not, whatever that doesn't concern me I've heard all the spectrum of power metal out there so believe me I know that I have informed myself enough to have a valid opinion on it. I just use the stereotypes because they're convienent.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:42 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

I think theres certain standards you have to have before you can call yourself a fan. If some guy came on here and said "Iron Maiden blows but Cradle of Filth rules" then he would obviously be called a poser and discredited. But if someone came here and said "Iron Maiden rocks and I also like Cradle of Filth" then he obviously has the right taste (eh, for the most part) and people might take what he has to say a bit more seriously.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:55 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom View Post
I see what you are saying, but this is a metal board, and it seems certain people like to talk about how 'totally awesome' bands like Tool and Pink Floyd are. I know you, Addi, talk about your tastes in non-metal while mocking me for listening to Kataklysm and In Flames (which are 10x more metal than Tool or Phish or whatever you hipsters listen to today)

Thats because Pink Floyd is better than In Flames. You seem like you're glorifying any metal band just because its in the metal genre, despite what kind of talent they have. Stop trying so hard to be "hardcore metalhead", noones gonna say "Oh here comes Cameron, the metal guru, he's so cool" when you walk down the halls at school. (especially when you don't like Manowar)
Old 12-22-2006, 02:36 AM
We're dying on the inside

I came in way too late, but metal can get very self-parodying, and I'd go crazy if I didn't mix it up with other genres. In fact, if all I listened to was metal, I'd probably lose my faith in the genre for good.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:38 AM
We're dying on the inside

And anyway, I haven't been making fun of anyone for liking exclusively metal or whatever, so I don't know why Addi and I are taking flak for our tastes being a little less acceptable to the metal community.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:58 AM
Shredder

I agree that someone who is a metalhead, can like other types of music too. With me there aren't all that many but there are a few. It really depends mostly what you define as metal. I agree that ACDC, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin not metal.

It is a bit hypocritical to say you like all metal, or to listen to really heavy stuff for the sake of trying to pose or be cool. It's just not unless you really do enjoy the music. That's my view on things.
28th Eric Clapton
Old 12-22-2006, 05:32 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

I like you. I like sex.