Kreator -- London, England -- December 18th, 2014
It Lies Within -- Westland, MI -- December 16th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Kansas City, MO -- December 16th, 2014
System Of A Down -- Inglewood, CA -- December 13th, 2014

Old 12-09-2006, 09:02 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackheart View Post
Slim's in SF charges $10,000 for a band to play on a weekend, Filmore is significantly more.
Wow, that's shocking to me.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:30 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

bands becoming too popular is a bad thing. would u like to see mastadon keychains, mousepads, pepsi commercials, and not to mention having every asshole + their mom talking about how cool the band is... I believe it would lose whatever special meaning you hold for it and just fade into the rest of the commercialized over populated bands whos fanbase consists of plastic frontrunners.

EDIT: and this goes for metal in general. how many fags already ruin the horns? would you like to see the rest of the genre lose all meaning and uniqueness as well?

keep metal as rude, dirty, loud, and generally unappealing to the masses as possible or else it wont be a subculture any more.

Last edited by Div; 12-09-2006 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:40 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div View Post
bands becoming too popular is a bad thing. would u like to see mastadon keychains, mousepads, pepsi commercials, and not to mention having every asshole + their mom talking about how cool the band is... I believe it would lose whatever special meaning you hold for it and just fade into the rest of the commercialized over populated bands whos fanbase consists of plastic frontrunners.

EDIT: and this goes for metal in general. how many fags already ruin the horns? would you like to see the rest of the genre lose all meaning and uniqueness as well?

keep metal as rude, dirty, loud, and generally unappealing to the masses as possible or else it wont be a subculture any more.
This is a some good points. It's tough to balance.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:44 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:

If you are gonna stop listening to music just because someone you don't like listens to them, then you might as well destroy your entire music collection right now. A band just might discovered by someone out of pure curiousity, as opposed to them getting "big." I see thousands of malltwats wearing Iron Maiden shirts at malls, but it'll take a fuckload more than that to get me to stop listening to them. As for the horns, I was never crazy about them anyway. If you honestly think that a hand gesture is required in order for you to like metal, the whole thing just might have flown over your heard. That being said, if you want something "rock" to do while taking pictures with your friends, you could always do what this stupid kid did...

Old 12-10-2006, 08:03 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

...and another thing, you guys are all wondering "What if Mastodon gets a bunch of douche bag fans?" Think about how Addi must feel as a fan of Tool, a band which its own lead singer has declared 70% of its fans being a bunch of ignorant pricks. I say be happy and grateful that your own band doesn't give you douchechills.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:41 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpeartjr. View Post
...and another thing, you guys are all wondering "What if Mastodon gets a bunch of douche bag fans?" Think about how Addi must feel as a fan of Tool, a band which its own lead singer has declared 70% of its fans being a bunch of ignorant pricks. I say be happy and grateful that your own band doesn't give you douchechills.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:24 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

and yet another thing...

I noticed Slayer was nominated for a Grammy too. It doesn't take rocket science to figure out that 90% of their fans are wastes of oxygen. So if Slayer wins a Grammy, does that mean all these losers will commit suicide and Slayer's new fanbase will be a bunch of tree hugging hippies?
Old 12-10-2006, 12:28 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

Quote:
If you are gonna stop listening to music just because someone you don't like listens to them, then you might as well destroy your entire music collection right now. A band just might discovered by someone out of pure curiousity, as opposed to them getting "big." I see thousands of malltwats wearing Iron Maiden shirts at malls, but it'll take a fuckload more than that to get me to stop listening to them. As for the horns, I was never crazy about them anyway. If you honestly think that a hand gesture is required in order for you to like metal, the whole thing just might have flown over your heard. That being said, if you want something "rock" to do while taking pictures with your friends, you could always do what this stupid kid did...

You're missing the point. There's a difference between a band getting popular with some random idiots looking for a way to act cool, and a band getting to the point of "MTV popular" where EVERYONE is a fan just because they think its' the latest greatest thing. I don't even like Mastadon, but I'm sure those who do would hate it if everyone started talking like they were fans just because they saw them on the grammys and put a Mastadon sticker on their notebook right next to Korn, Eminem, and U2.

....U2
Old 12-10-2006, 12:28 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
and yet another thing...

I noticed Slayer was nominated for a Grammy too. It doesn't take rocket science to figure out that 90% of their fans are wastes of oxygen. So if Slayer wins a Grammy, does that mean all these losers will commit suicide and Slayer's new fanbase will be a bunch of tree hugging hippies?

But seriously, we're all talking circles around the fact that the Grammys mean shit, as do any awards. It comes down to what you think sounds good, the hell with the rest of the world. Back to Maynard's declaration that a good portion of Tool fans are douchebags, it doesn't make Tool less awesome. Metal in general is dominated by fuckwads, are we going to denounce it? Hell no. Point is, open your ears to the music, and close them to the critics.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:05 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
You're missing the point. There's a difference between a band getting popular with some random idiots looking for a way to act cool, and a band getting to the point of "MTV popular" where EVERYONE is a fan just because they think its' the latest greatest thing. I don't even like Mastadon, but I'm sure those who do would hate it if everyone started talking like they were fans just because they saw them on the grammys and put a Mastadon sticker on their notebook right next to Korn, Eminem, and U2.

....U2
No, I'm not missing the point. Yes there is a difference, and yes it is irritating when people act like they are fans of an underground band just because they saw them on TV or whatever, but fads come and go. The people who were listening to a particular band just because it was the thing to do will eventally let it go, leaving the band with just themselves and their original fanbase, and maybe a few extras, cos God forbid there aren't at least one or two people from that mentality who continue to like the music. Which brings me back to my original point, if you're afraid that the types of people that you don't like are gonna start enjoying the music that you enjoy, then you probably should just stop listening to music altogether. After all, every band has their 15 minutes of fame.

Last edited by JRA; 12-10-2006 at 01:08 PM.