Otherwise -- Sturtevant, WI -- September 19th, 2014
Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014
Riot Fest -- Denver, CO -- September 19th, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- September 18th, 2014

Old 11-06-2006, 11:45 AM
The Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpeartjr.
Well, the only way of making drums sinister in my opinion is to go all Scott Travis on them, really.
There's that too. Unfortunately our drummer doesn't have any double-kick equipment, but that's something I've been pushing for. The drummer and other guitarist (and other main songwriter as well) in the band are very much traditional in their metal, so initially they had what amounts to a moral opposition to double kick. But over time I've pushed them in a heavier direction.

Another thing is our drummer has practically no equipment. One decent crash cymbal (that the guitarist owns) and a cheap ass ride. Even the floor tom belongs to the guitarist. Bah.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:56 AM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCheeseWedge
There's that too. Unfortunately our drummer doesn't have any double-kick equipment, but that's something I've been pushing for. The drummer and other guitarist (and other main songwriter as well) in the band are very much traditional in their metal, so initially they had what amounts to a moral opposition to double kick. But over time I've pushed them in a heavier direction.

Another thing is our drummer has practically no equipment. One decent crash cymbal (that the guitarist owns) and a cheap ass ride. Even the floor tom belongs to the guitarist. Bah.

Well, you don't want to be going double kick throughout an entire song. I think double kicks should be saved for important climaxes. I think that's why Dave Lombardo became so popular, because he knew when and when not to use them.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:59 AM
The Cheese

Quote:
Well, you don't want to be going double kick throughout an entire song. I think double kicks should be saved for important climaxes. I think that's why Dave Lombardo became so popular, because he knew when and when not to use them.
I know what you mean. I think some well-timed double kicks could really spice stuff up though. More then anything I'd just like to have it as an "option" on the table. "Hey, what would this sound like with a little bit of double kick here?" - that sort of thing.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:02 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCheeseWedge
I know what you mean. I think some well-timed double kicks could really spice stuff up though. More then anything I'd just like to have it as an "option" on the table. "Hey, what would this sound like with a little bit of double kick here?" - that sort of thing.

Indeed. That's the thing about guitarists and drummers. When a guitarist tries to learn a song, the only problem is playing it, cos you've got six strings. Whereas if you want to play, say, a song from the latter day Rush catalogue, oy, midi's and xylophones and gongs, oh my!
Old 11-06-2006, 12:06 PM
Regretting my username

Quote:
Indeed. That's the thing about guitarists and drummers. When a guitarist tries to learn a song, the only problem is playing it, cos you've got six strings. Whereas if you want to play, say, a song from the latter day Rush catalogue, oy, midi's and xylophones and gongs, oh my!
amen to that. And if you want to play Sepultura you need to go to africa and buy some tribal bongos.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:13 PM
We're dying on the inside

If I had the money, I'd have a sick prog band. We'd implement hundreds of instruments.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:55 PM
In Search of Truth

Well, in my opinion...

Creating your own music should be your business, which means to not ask other people for ideas. However, I don't think there's anything wrong with playing your ideas or finished songs for people and asking them what they think about it. It helps more than it hurts in most cases. I don't ever let people change my beliefs with their opinions, but every now and then it can be a useful way of getting some necessary feedback that helped you realize something usefull.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:02 PM
In Search of Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden
If I had the money, I'd have a sick prog band. We'd implement hundreds of instruments.
In all fairness, you're full of shit.

Think about it. Hundreds? I think not. Even dozens is a stretch, depending on what you classify as a different instrument. If you count each type of instrument as one instrument, you can only use so much and still have it be relevant to anything. Even if you use a full orchestra + whatever random shit you might come across, you're still not gonna be in the hundreds of instruments catagory.
Old 11-06-2006, 05:22 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden

Old 11-06-2006, 05:22 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

Adding too many insturments makes things go all over the fuckin place and people listening to it wont have any idea whats going on.