Skid Row -- Toronto, ON -- August 20th, 2014
The Quireboys -- West Hollywood, CA -- August 6th, 2014
High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014
Nothing More -- Baltimore, MD -- August 18th, 2014
Boris -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- August 17th, 2014

Old 11-05-2006, 07:09 PM
Regretting my username

Recording

This to to EvilCheeseWedge, Spiral_Slave, and other one else here that has a band.

How does your band record? We are using a crappy, small Olympus digital recorder. Obviously, that is not how you record a song...

So...could you suggest any other methods; either things that we can buy or studio renting.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:12 PM
Blunts.

dont keep buying things . . . in the end you will just wish you had spent the money on studio time. If you have a music engineering school near you, you can get them to record your album for cheap (or free) but usually its at some weird time like 2 Am on tuesday or w/e.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:13 PM
Regretting my username

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalDrummer888
dont keep buying things . . . in the end you will just wish you had spent the money on studio time. If you have a music engineering school near you, you can get them to record your album for cheap (or free) but usually its at some weird time like 2 Am on tuesday or w/e.
well, my uncle already had the mic and the recorder is my ghost-hunting recorder...so...we havent spent any money on the song yet....but I know some local bands use 4-track recorders or something.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:14 PM
Dharma Wants You

I know next to nothing about recording, but my friend Andy does and I'll ask him what the best methods are.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:30 PM
Regretting my username

This girl at our school that manages a few emo bands just told me that she might be able to get us some studio time real cheap. So. Hopefully we can get Karmic Retribution down pat and get a short demo out there. And another kid in an acoustic/folk/indie bands holds garage concerts periodically and he said he would save a spot for us if we ever wanted to play a song or two..so...
Old 11-05-2006, 07:31 PM
Blunts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom
This girl at our school that manages a few emo bands just told me that she might be able to get us some studio time real cheap. So. Hopefully we can get Karmic Retribution down pat and get a short demo out there. And another kid in an acoustic/folk/indie bands holds garage concerts periodically and he said he would save a spot for us if we ever wanted to play a song or two..so...
thats more like it
Old 11-05-2006, 08:42 PM
The Cheese

I'll give you the run down tomorrow morning, I'm just too fucking tired to explain it tonight
Old 11-06-2006, 02:35 AM
We're dying on the inside

Ha, we have one track that's bass, guitar, and vocals and another that's just drums because the drums drowned out everything and we needed to reduce them. It's fairly awesome if I don't say so myself. Lyrics so far:

The wings of the phoenix carry me home
Lost in this place cold and alone
I pledge myself to prophets I cannot see
If there is a God, why won't he save me?
Old 11-06-2006, 02:37 AM
Regretting my username

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden
Ha, we have one track that's bass, guitar, and vocals and another that's just drums because the drums drowned out everything and we needed to reduce them. It's fairly awesome if I don't say so myself. Lyrics so far:

The wings of the phoenix carry me home
Lost in this place cold and alone
I pledge myself to prophets I cannot see
If there is a God, why won't he save me?
If we move into another room, that is smaller, I think it will make a difference, because the acoustics in that room echo every drum hit way too much.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:56 AM
The Cheese

When I was in high school I used to record some shitty bands around here on a low-tech setup, and since I'm guessing you guys don't have much equipment, I'll give you the run down on what I used to do, because even with shitty equipment most of the recording sounded pretty decent anyways.

First of all, get a computer, with a decent soundcard, and get a good recording program. At this point, you probably can't record everybody at once and have it sound very good, beacause that takes a lot of equipment and stuff like that (and is probably best left for the studio.) But what you can do is track people individually. That's what we do, that's what I've had bands in the past do.

There's a couple ways to do it - band preference ftw. In high school the bands would usually lay drums down first. The guitarist would play for the drummer through headphones so he had something to go by, and then the rest of the instruments would be stack on that. Our drummer doesn't like laying drums down first, so we usually lay guitar and bass down. But we play to a metronome, which I definitely recommend.

Anyways, drums will probably be your toughest thing because I'm guessing you have limited microphones and you probably don't have a mixer. Try to find something you can at least run one or two microphones into so it isn't direct into the computer. I used to use a 25-year old tape deck for this. It worked pretty well, because I could cut the clipping on the deck, and then I'd record direct from the deck (not record to tape) and the drums would end up sounding about as good as could be expected from the equipment used.

Because we only had two microphones then I just rigged up two-overheads using duct tape.

I personally vote for buying equipment though, because you can double it as live equipment later. For instance, we have a PA system and a 16-channel mixer. We use it for practices, we can use it for live, and the mixer is great for recording. It has several busses so we can send some channels to one computer, some to another computer, etc.

As for microphones, we mic the drums at practice and at shows (obviously) so those mics are usually a good investment.