Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Tankcrimes Brainsqueeze 2 -- Oakland, CA -- April 18th, 2014
Unearth -- Pontiac, MI -- April 17th, 2014
Wayne Static -- Birmingham, AL -- April 17th, 2014
Ghost -- Toronto, Ontario -- April 17th, 2014
Rainbow Bar & Grill 42nd Anniversary -- West Hollywood, CA -- April 13th, 2014

Old 11-01-2006, 09:44 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

Okay, I don't really agree with Div, but he does have a small point, albeit he expressed it rather poorly. The situation you were in was quite controlled, and you didn't really have any chance of getting in any trouble. However, if you're actually out driving and get pulled over, you should exercise your right to refuse a search. You never know what could happen.

Just the other day on another board, a kid was talking about how he and his friends were causing Halloween mischief and got pulled over. The cops searched his car, and it turns out his friend had a bottle of vodka in her bag, and he didn't even know about it. They were all underage, and the kid (it was his car) got arrested for it. Now, in his situation, the case will get thrown out, since the cop searched without permission and found the vodka in a bag (which he couldn't search even with permission). However, it still goes to show how things can go very wrong in a situation like that.

And yes, for the most part cops are not jack-booted fascists (my dad's a sheriff's deputy), but there are a lot of shitty cops too, who'll take any opportunity to get you for something. And if you waive your rights and allow them to search, and something goes wrong, you've got NOTHING to fall back on.

PS- Despite the fact that I think this country's attitude towards drugs is totally fucked, I agree 100% that drugs have absolutely no place at school.

Last edited by powerslave_85; 11-01-2006 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:04 AM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom
DUDE! You are such a fucking retard. The purpose of the police is to ensure that we are kept safe, and that things like drugs, weapons, and alcohol are kept off school property to ensure a safe-learning environment. You are taking my story wrong. They smelt around my car. They got a hit. The cops and principal CALMLY told me I could deny or accept a search request. I accept. They told me that even if they had a legit hit, it might not be my fault (since the car is used, and marijuana smoke can stay in the fabric for up to 6 months)....they allowed me to watch the as they searched my car, slowly and politely, putting everything back where it belonged after searching through it.

They asked me what the three big bags were in the back. I told them they were bowling balls. They confirmed it by looking into the bag, and searching for the source of the "hit." They soon found the misplaced bag of canned cat food. They said that the dogs probably hit on either that or some smoke residue. They put everything back. Allowed me to lock the doors, and let me return to class.

It was very orderly, calm, polite, and not the least bit militant. You have a warped sense of reality. You may know of some extreme instances where the police are brutal, but you are blowing it way out of proportion.

You have a tendency to take some small happening, and devise your own military-state New World Order, "go back to sleep", rape-you-of-your-rights Illuminati Zionist conspiracy. Chill out, and take my tale for what it is. A simple school sweep to locate illegal drugs. Drugs are illegal, therefore searching and confiscation of drugs (and drugs only, no other belongings) is perfectly constitutional.

And your little line about treating innnocents like suspects....you are full of batshit. Suspects are just people that are innocent, but may be guilty. I was told that I had drugs...I was not told that I was going to be arrested. I was given my rights; to unlock my own car without them breaking my windows/locks, leave the building to the "scene" without being accused or arrested, having the right to approve or deny a search, etc.

I'm going to use ALL of my patience here to not directly attack you, despite your sohpomoric name calling, so listen well to what I'm saying.

The situation you "joked" about has been happening in schools all around the country (a junior highschool in Michigan was the most recent). My reaction was because this issue is a pet peeve of mine, and I can't tell wether you have sarcastic tone of voice or not when I'm reading text.

In other schools armed police have been going in un-announced, pointing guns at kids, lining them up, yelling at them, and basically scaring the shit out of them (literally). Doing this to kids conditions them to accept this type of behavior, and to just conform to whatever the men in uniforms tells you to do. Basically, treating kids as prisoners. ANY man who points a gun at a child is a terrorist, I don't care what kind of badge you have. There is no excuse.

The cops in my town aren't bad, and maybe the ones in your town aren't either, but there are alot of bad cops out there who take their frustrations out on the general public and noone questions or stands up to them because they think cops don't break laws. Unless a cop shows me a search warrant with a Judge's signature, there is no way I'm going to let him search my property, because I'm not going to be treated as a suspect when I've done nothing wrong. Cops are the people you go to for help, the people you look to when the law has been violated, they are NOT the people who come to you looking for evidence to incriminate you.

Just cause you think something is unlikely doesn't mean it can't be true, that is how people take advantage of you.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:02 AM
The Cheese

On a related note there is legislation currently working its way through Congress that allows nearly ALL school personnel to perform searches on school students at will on their own discretion. In theory? Good idea. In practice? Bad. Take my high school for example. There were at least two teachers and even the principal who were all caught doing things with students they shouldn't have been. They were all known for making certain students uncomfortable. Giving them the right to search students - in some if not all cases strip searches - is just a throughly bad idea. Can you imagine your art teacher or janitor having the right to search you?

There has got to be some limits.

http://technocrat.net/d/2006/9/21/8096

Last edited by EvilCheeseWedge; 11-02-2006 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:23 AM
Regretting my username

Quote:
Originally Posted by Div

Just cause you think something is unlikely doesn't mean it can't be true, that is how people take advantage of you.
I perfectly understand that things like that happen. At first, it sounded like you were calling the police officers in my case the Gestapo. That is why I got mad.

I do agree that a number of police are too brutal, as in all the cases you provided. I simply thought you were using my case to support that belief. But you arent..so....my fault...I'm sorry....

I do however think that the number of good, kind cops outnumber to amount of Nazicops....like Niggemeyer.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:32 AM
We're dying on the inside

A lot of cops in Troy beat their ex-wives and use the posts as power positions.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:28 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCheeseWedge
On a related note there is legislation currently working its way through Congress that allows nearly ALL school personnel to perform searches on school students at will on their own discretion. In theory? Good idea. In practice? Bad. Take my high school for example. There were at least two teachers and even the principal who were all caught doing things with students they shouldn't have been. They were all known for making certain students uncomfortable. Giving them the right to search students - in some if not all cases strip searches - is just a throughly bad idea. Can you imagine your art teacher or janitor having the right to search you?

That ties in with what I was saying that public schools are becoming more and more like prisons and detention centers then like an education facility.

There also seems to be a big attack on homeschoolers aswell. The system doesn't seem to like them very much.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:47 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCheeseWedge

Yeah, I wrote about that in my blog a while back. It's such a sickeningly terrible idea. NOTHING good can come from it. It's completely inappropriate.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:40 PM
Regretting my username

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden
A lot of cops in Troy beat their ex-wives and use the posts as power positions.
where the hell did you hear that?
Old 11-02-2006, 04:20 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChildrenofSodom
where the hell did you hear that?
When I say a lot, I mean at least two. My dad graduated with several cops (don't ask the names, I don't know) who were abusive to their girlfriends/wives.