The Story So Far -- Lawrence, KS -- September 30th, 2014
Coheed and Cambria -- Boston, MA -- September 28th, 2014
Vixen -- Madrid, Spain -- September 27th, 2014
Crowbar -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- September 28th, 2014
Saviours -- San Francisco, CA -- September 27th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 10-29-2006, 02:08 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Watched Return Of The Jedi yet again, and it hasn't aged well for me **SPOILERS**

Yea it was the "altered" version, but its not like that made much of a difference. Really all they did was switch whoever played Anakin in the prequels with that other guy and added a few CGI special effects here and there, nothing to do with the plot. Extra bullshit.

This is kind of a sad day, as Return was my favorite in the Star Wars series. Of course, this was decided when I was about 12 or 13, and to quote Lemmy "Ah, but 12 is easy to blow you away isn't it?"

Don't get me wrong, Return is still a good movie, but its *sigh* not as good as Empire Strikes Back. It's really not even as good as A New Hope. Its become a fragmented movie for me really. The scenes where Luke gets Han Solo out of Jabba's Palace and from Luke meeting Anakin/Darth Vader at the Shield Generator on are still great, but other than that, it just kinda plods.

I guess my primary problem with the movie is pretty much everything from Luke & Co. leaving Tattooine to the "Battle Of Endor." First of all, I understand the Ewoks needed to be in the plot so they could give the Rebels an extra boost when destroying the generator, but something about the way that the Ewoks and Rebels met was kind of a snooze-fest. I mean, for starters the Ewok's worship C-3PO as some kind of God and "it's against his programming" to tell the Ewoks to go away? Has he fucking forgotten why the Rebels are there? Not to fucking play games with Teddy Bears with spears! Also, if Luke used the Force to get them out of that particular jam, why didn't he just use the Jedi persuasion power against the Ewoks? Somehow, I highly doubt that a race as primitive as the Ewoks would be able to resist the power of the Force. And now that I think about it, I'm kinda surprised that the Empire just lets the Ewoks roam free on a planet that has the shield generator to their secret weapon.

Another thing that's never made much sense to me is why Luke doesn't kill the Emperor after he cuts off Darth Vader/Anakin's hand. He just throws his lightsaber away? What the hell? The Emperor was coaxing Luke to attack him so he could get into a fight with Vader to work up his aggressive feelings, I understand that. But dude, Darth Vader's finished, he can't defend the Emperor anymore, plus who wouldn't want to see a fight between Luke and the Emperor? That would have been good shit! I don’t think Luke would have needed to lose control of his aggressive feelings in order to defeat the Emperor. Mace Windu almost got the Emperor in Episode 3 by turning his lightning bolts against him with his Lightsaber, and he didn't look like he would be turning to the Dark Side soon after that. Besides, its not like the Emperor was Luke’s Uncle or something. He is the leader of the Sith and the Galactic Empire and a threat to peace in the galaxy. I'm pretty sure if anybody else in the Rebel Alliance got the chance to kill the Emperor they would have taken it, just for the sake of poetic justice. Yoda and Obi-Wan told Luke that he was supposed to confront Darth Vader/Anakin and convince him to let the "good" win the conflict inside him, but they didn't say a damn thing about what to do with the Emperor. I mean how the hell did they think that the Emperor was going to be defeated? Rock, Paper, Scissors? When all is said and done, the plot that George came up with where Anakin (I'm just gonna use that from now on) just kills the Emperor himself was good in and of itself, but, I don't know, it was good but not great.

Good but not great can pretty much be said for the rest of the movie. I don’t know about you, but the Death Star fight in A New Hope seemed much more exciting that the one in Return, to name one example. Another example is that the storyline of getting captured by the Death Star and trying to escape it as well as trying to fix the Hyperdrive on the Millennium Falcon so Han & co. could escape the Star Destroyers seemed much more compelling than, again, fucking playtime with Teddy Bears with spears.

Now with all that being said, I will say that Return Of The Jedi leaves no loose end tied up; every single question unanswered in the previous two films was addressed and then some. Plus, in the overall scheme of things, I don’t think anybody could have picked a better way to end the Star Wars movie series. Luke becomes a Jedi, the Emperor is dead, what more could you want? And it’s still a great kids movie (George Lucas said even though the fans don’t want to admit it, Star Wars was intended for children), but not to many kids movies “grow up” well (no pun intended).

In conclusion I still like Return Of The Jedi, but plot faults and other BS keep it from me loving it as much as I once did.

So what do you think? Do you agree, disagree? Discuss.

Last edited by JRA; 10-29-2006 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:10 PM
Blunts.

star wars is like power rangers . . . its for little kids
Old 10-29-2006, 02:31 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalDrummer888
star wars is like power rangers . . . its for little kids

Ba-zing. I don't entirely agree with that statement. But still, Ba-zing.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:22 PM
We're dying on the inside

I've never been a huge fan of Star Wars. This is my least favorite of the original three.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:36 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden
I've never been a huge fan of Star Wars. This is my least favorite of the original three.

You think Freddy Kreuger is God?
Old 10-29-2006, 03:37 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpeartjr.
You think Freddy Kreuger is God?
Actually, in the original Nightmare on Elm Street, his first on-screen victim is in his grip and yells "Oh God, help me!" and he wields his claw in front of her face saying "This...is God."
Old 10-29-2006, 03:58 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

I love this movie.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:58 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden
Actually, in the original Nightmare on Elm Street, his first on-screen victim is in his grip and yells "Oh God, help me!" and he wields his claw in front of her face saying "This...is God."

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:00 PM
cool babies, strange but not a stranger

star wars fucking owns
Old 10-29-2006, 06:11 PM
N00B

A New Hope is awesome, Empire owns, Jedi is mediocre, the other three don't exist.