After The Burial -- Flint, MI -- September 20th, 2014
Periphery -- Lansing, MI -- September 19th, 2014
Otherwise -- Sturtevant, WI -- September 19th, 2014
Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 10-29-2006, 06:15 PM
Blunts.

lord of the rings is the best film trilogy ever

those movies, especially The Felloweship of the Ring, are so much better than Star Wars that its not even a contest
Old 10-29-2006, 06:19 PM
Dharma Wants You

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalDrummer888

those movies, especially The Felloweship of the Ring, are so much better than Star Wars that its not even a contest
Old 10-29-2006, 06:30 PM
Somewhere Back In Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by overkiller
A New Hope is awesome, Empire owns, Jedi is mediocre, the other three don't exist.
What other three?

Old 10-29-2006, 06:31 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:

Incidentally, I have wanted to really sink my teeth into the 'rings' movies. I've watched them all once of course, but I've really wanted to, you know really get into them, and get the three & half hour double disc sets. But that requires setting aside a four hour block of your day.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:33 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by es156
What other three?

It really is sad. I, for one wanted to see how Anakin "hunted down and destroyed the Jedi Knights" and all I got was a bunch of clueless morons with lightsabers being ambushed.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:37 PM
Jedi Master

One of these days when I have nothing to do (if that ever happens), I will watch the original trilogy. I purchased the purist version dvds recently, but haven't opened them yet.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:38 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
One of these days when I have nothing to do (if that ever happens), I will watch the original trilogy. I purchased the purist version dvds recently, but haven't opened them yet.

I want to get "purist" DVD trilogy, but I'm afraid they took out the extra scenes they put in the 1997 version of A New Hope, I thought those were cool.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:50 PM
N00B

Quote:

OMG UR RITE!!!!
Old 10-29-2006, 07:52 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpeartjr.
I want to get "purist" DVD trilogy, but I'm afraid they took out the extra scenes they put in the 1997 version of A New Hope, I thought those were cool.
They did. The "purist" version is the one that was theatrically released in 1977. HAN FIRED FIRST!!
Old 10-29-2006, 08:57 PM
N00B

God where do I begin????????????????

Star Wars (the original in 1977) was done as a "real" Sci-Fi to try and be more like the old Serial films of the 40's and 50's but with the best effects the 70's could offer. Lucas borrowed so much from so many other movies, (Forbidden Planet, 2001, etc, (even the soundtrack, is very derivative of many famous classical pieces) Just listen to Holst "The Planets", and Stravinsky "the rite of spring", then put on the star wars soundtrack, you'll hear what i'm talking about.

Like all kids, I ate , slept, breathed star wars.

The movie was such a total smash success phenomenon, that a sequal was inevitable, in an era when sequals were NOT the norm. I myself as a young lad of 7-8 saw the original 8 times in the theater, and (once in German!! yes army brat),

Later when Jedi came out I thought OK its dorky, with the teddy bears, but they wrapped up the story. (You all know it was supposed to be the wookie planet, right? but that wasn't feasable back then, as no CGI yet) Hence all the "little people" actors

Anyway years later, Lucas is getting older, hasn't had anything to do except manage his starwars empire of cash and merchandise, and various rereleases, he decides to do the pre-quel trilogy. And what happens???, he makes this movie (episode 1) where every single fucking scene is designed to sell a TOY, or some sucky merch., or promote the VIDEO GAME (is there any other reason for thar stupid pod race????). And I did think the charcters, were very stereotypically racist, Jar-Jar - jamaican, those fish guys were asian, the junk saleman- Arab. I was shaking my head all through the first sitting that midnight first show back in 1999.

Lucas ruined it for me. Yes , 2 and 3 ended up being a little better, but the damage was done, for me.

Where am I going with all this?
oh yeah, if you already own a trilogy, DONT buy these new ones, just rent them, watch and compare, they are just Lucas' way of milking more money out of his star wars faithful. If he really cared, He would have released it as a single mid-price disc, not the pricey double disc with the same "NEW" version we all already bought!!!!!

Oh yeah, the first ring movie I had a bad theater experience, but the next 2, I loved it, and I do like them, but I just can't find time to watch them again, there all SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG!!!!!