Sleep -- Boston, MA -- August 24th, 2014
Alice in Chains -- Rama, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 09-26-2006, 01:00 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden

I think 90% of the world agrees with you though

Is that smiley trying to represent angry body language with semen? Cos it's not doing a very good job.

In all seriousness, the thing that bugs me about Opeth is Mikey's singing voice. It's just fucking weird, and it really just seems out of place on a metal album. And of course there are the "pauses." I say pauses because there are certain points where they are just grooving along, I guess trying to achieve some type of buildup, and then they just stop. For no apparent reason. And those pauses are a lot longet than they need to be. It's like "Uh, guys, your supposed to be playing a ten minute song?" At least the "Discovery" section of 2112 makes sense conceptually, despite the fact that it is musically boring. There are alot of things that seem out of place with Opeth once you look at the big picture, but they don't really bug you the first time you hear them.

That said, they do have a penchant for melody, and if they just decided to drop the pretnese of a metal band, they could be a damn good prog rock band.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:31 PM
We're dying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpeartjr.
Is that smiley trying to represent angry body language with semen? Cos it's not doing a very good job.

In all seriousness, the thing that bugs me about Opeth is Mikey's singing voice. It's just fucking weird, and it really just seems out of place on a metal album. And of course there are the "pauses." I say pauses because there are certain points where they are just grooving along, I guess trying to achieve some type of buildup, and then they just stop. For no apparent reason. And those pauses are a lot longet than they need to be. It's like "Uh, guys, your supposed to be playing a ten minute song?" At least the "Discovery" section of 2112 makes sense conceptually, despite the fact that it is musically boring. There are alot of things that seem out of place with Opeth once you look at the big picture, but they don't really bug you the first time you hear them.

That said, they do have a penchant for melody, and if they just decided to drop the pretnese of a metal band, they could be a damn good prog rock band.
I think it's just a very angry smiley.

His clean voice and death growl are among my favorites for each type, I guess that's just me. The pauses can be bothersome but they only appear on early Opeth for the most part. Come Still Life and onward, that problem ceased to exist as they became more comfortable as a unit.

And I honestly agree. The death vocal passages kick ass and they write great riffs and electric guitar solos, but on the whole they could be considered non-metal and they'd rock just as hard.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:35 PM

Brad's take was removed from the thread title. I rule.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:47 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Come Still Life and onward, that problem ceased to exist as they became more comfortable as a unit.

O rly? Why did I hear those pauses on Ghosts Of Perdition and Atonement then?
Old 09-26-2006, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpeartjr.
O rly? Why did I hear those pauses on Ghosts Of Perdition and Atonement then?
Because you were listening for them. And they're very brief, and when everyone starts back up together the synchronization is to be commended.

Get over it, basically.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:02 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Because you were listening for them. And they're very brief, and when everyone starts back up together the synchronization is to be commended.

Get over it, basically.

I wasn't listening for pauses. I didn't even know Opeth pulled that crap, I just went for the first "free" Opeth songs I could find and I went from there. I don't listen for mistakes in bands I want to give an honest chance to.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:24 PM
N00B

Opeth do need to get a grip on songwriting with the next album, as good as Ghost Reveries was, they are slowly turning into a more "extreme" Dream Theater (if you can call Opeth extreme ).
Old 09-26-2006, 02:33 PM
Regretting my username

Quote:
Brad's take was removed from the thread title. I rule.
grr
Old 09-26-2006, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD
Opeth do need to get a grip on songwriting with the next album, as good as Ghost Reveries was, they are slowly turning into a more "extreme" Dream Theater (if you can call Opeth extreme ).
But they don't have a little Chinese girl playing bass.

Old 09-26-2006, 04:12 PM
N00B

Quote:
But they don't have a little Chinese girl playing bass.

They score extra points for that

Tags
arch enemy, into eternity, megadeth, opeth, overkill, sanctity, the smashup