Black Label Society -- Memphis, TN -- July 27th, 2014
Megadeth -- Milwaukee, WI -- July 19th, 2013
Family Values Tour -- Denver, CO -- November 11th, 2001
Judas Priest -- Salt Lake City, UT -- November 12th, 1990

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 09-17-2006, 05:49 AM
We're dying on the inside

Mastodon -- Cincinnati, OH -- September 16th, 2006

A review will be here probably later today when I get bored enough to write it. Here's the setlists:

The Bronx
Heart Attack
I Got Chills
Mouth Money
Shitty Future
Three Dead Sisters
Rape Zombie
Senor Hombre De Tamale
White Guilt
False Alarm
Histories
Kill My Friends

Converge
Sorry, didn't get it.

Mastodon
Iron Tusk
March of the Fire Ants
Circle of Cysquatch
Where Strides the Behemoth
Mother Puncher
Aqua Dementia
Sleeping Giant
The Wolf Is Loose
Crystal Skull
Bladecatcher
Colony of Birchmen
I Am Ahab
Capillarian Crest
Megalodon
Blood and Thunder
-------
Hearts Alive
-------
Outro Music: Pendulous Skin

Ahh...so much to tell, this review will be long, so, y'know...fair warning. Just know that Mastodon are on top of their game and missing them in their prime would be a shame.
Old 09-17-2006, 06:40 AM

REVIEW:

The verdict: Mastodon are the future of metal, and I have proof. All 1100 or so people in the room, whether they knew it or not, were witnessing the belated torch-carriers of the true metal flame. Sabbath handed it to Priest who shared it with Maiden who gave it to Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, and Anthrax who were forced to carry it for far too long; but Mastodon have undoubtedly taken hold of the flame and are carrying true metal into the 21st century. All four men in the band fire on all cylinders and can be considered some of the most talented dudes in metal. Everything about them is lovable to anyone who calls themselves metalheads. Yeah, this is a total press blowjob, but no, none of it is exaggerated. Mastodon own you.

We got to the venue around 7 PM, and we drove by Bill Kelliher crossing the street. I yelled Bill and threw the horns but he didn't notice me. After a little waiting for the doors to open we went inside, grabbed some rail spots (where we stayed all night ), bought some t-shirts and prepared to let the metal flow. The Bronx played for half an hour and were pretty average. They played this groovy, punked-up variation on the riff from "Hot for Teacher" over and over again in every song, and the singer was terrible. He also shook like he was seizuring and pretended to surf. Yeah. I wouldn't buy one of their albums ever, but I could stand them. Their set was as follows (A Converge roadie crumbled it up and threw it out):

Heart Attack
I Got Chills
Mouth Money
Shitty Future
Three Dead Sisters
Rape Zombie
Senor Hombre De Tamale
White Guilt
False Alarm
Histories
Kill My Friends

After some quick tear-down and set-up, Converge hit the stage. I was told by quite a few people that, based on my tastes, I would absolutely hate them. Wrong, they were great. I've never heard such amazing mosh music...songs didn't have "mosh parts", songs were mosh parts. Incredible energy, they were tight as a group, but it was missing that musicianship (read: progginess) that we all know I love. I didn't get their set, but the last three songs were from the forthcoming album, which I'll be tempted to buy.

Finally came the band everyone was truly there for: The Mighty Mastodon. The backdrop was of the Birchmen from the Blood Mountain booklet, and when the lights went down, the response was deafening. The intro tape played some eerie noises/voices and then Brent and Troy walked out and said "Hello Cincinnati", then launched into Iron Tusk. The musicianship...ohhhh, the musicianship. Amazing, amazing, amazing. Beyond words. I screamed along every word that I knew (probably like 80% of the show) and when I was singing to Mother Puncher ("Love/Love unconditional"), Troy backed off the mic and could obviously hear me singing his part, because he did the "I see you" eye to eye thing, pounded his chest, and gave me the horns. Yes, he had time to do all that. Later in the show he pointed at Cameron and pretended to brush his teeth (we were the only two guys he pointed at the whole show ). I don't get why he did that. "Bladecatcher" was hilariously awesome...you know the robot noises/turntable sounds? Brent sang them The band did very little talking during the show, no real introductions to songs, no commentary, just Brent saying when the light came on for awhile "Whoa...fuck. This is the biggest crowd we've played for so far." and Troy saying "Thank you" from time to time. March of the Fire Ants and Blood and Thunder got enormous singalong/shoutalongs from the crowd Hearts Alive was a fittingly epic closer and hearing Pendulous Skin while we were leaving was a nice luxury too.

Iron Tusk
March of the Fire Ants
Circle of Cysquatch
Where Strides the Behemoth
Mother Puncher
Aqua Dementia
Sleeping Giant
The Wolf Is Loose
Crystal Skull
Bladecatcher
Colony of Birchmen
I Am Ahab
Capillarian Crest
Megalodon
Blood and Thunder
-------
Hearts Alive
-------
Outro Music: Pendulous Skin

Go see Mastodon!!!
Old 09-17-2006, 06:40 AM

Okay, it wasn't too long. I may be forgetting something but Cameron was there so he can add stuff.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:12 AM
Dharma Wants You

Bro sounds like you had an awesome time! Im glad it was as good as you hoped!
Old 09-17-2006, 08:43 AM
Regretting my username

Yeah. It was probably one of the best shows I have attended. The raw energy in the crowd was amazing. Like Brad said, while Troy was playing his bass, he kinda scanned the crowd and he say me screaming along and throwing him the horns and he leaned back and brushed his teeth with his finger.... It was still awesome, even though I didnt know what it meant.

My uncle got punch-drunk and tore up the pit. He was one of the biggest dudes there and he had a blast. Needless to say, I had to drive home. There was alot of crowd surfing, and the same jackass got pulled out 7 times. I love to heckle the morons; giving them thumbs up and the "I Love You" horns.

All night long, I dreamt of Gigantour next week. I had dreams of watching Mastodon again, and Megadeth, Arch Enemy, and Opeth came to my high school as a Gigantour off-date.
Old 09-17-2006, 08:45 AM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden
After some quick tear-down and set-up, Converge hit the stage. I was told by quite a few people that, based on my tastes, I would absolutely hate them. Wrong, they were great. I've never heard such amazing mosh music...songs didn't have "mosh parts", songs were mosh parts. Incredible energy, they were tight as a group, but it was missing that musicianship (read: progginess) that we all know I love. I didn't get their set, but the last three songs were from the forthcoming album, which I'll be tempted to buy.
Converge isn't necessarily about musicianship (though they're great musicians). They're about tearing your head off. I can't wait for their new album, it's going to be insane.

God, I wish this show wasn't on a Thursday night. And in Phoenix
Old 09-17-2006, 08:47 AM
Regretting my username

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85
Converge isn't necessarily about musicianship (though they're great musicians). They're about tearing your head off. I can't wait for their new album, it's going to be insane.

God, I wish this show wasn't on a Thursday night. And in Phoenix
I didnt really feel Converge until the last few songs. They were better than The Bronx, and I really enjoyed them. They werent my kinda music, but they, knew how to play their instruments.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:13 AM
Regretting my username

sorry Pavo

TOUR: Mastodon
SUPPORT: The Bronx, Coverge
VENUE: Borgart's
DATE: Saturday September 16, 2006
ATTENDED W/: DethMaiden, brother, uncle
GEAR WORN: Cannibal Corpse KILL shirt, Pentagram sweatband
MERCH PURCHASED: Blood Mountain shirt, two sweatbands
MOSHING REPORT: moderate
EDDIES AWARDED: 9.5

EDIT: Troy said that the crowd they saw at The Unholly Alliance in Cincinnatti couldn't touch the crowd at the Blood Mountain tour. He said that he meant it with his HEART. Can you guess which song they played next?

Last edited by ChildrenofSodom; 09-17-2006 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:00 AM

Your avatar looks more like a Snuffleupagus than a mastodon
Old 09-17-2006, 11:08 AM
HEY! LISTEN!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden
Your avatar looks more like a Snuffleupagus than a mastodon

Tags
converge, mastodon, the bronx