Impaled -- Oakland, CA -- April 19th, 2014
Tankcrimes Brainsqueeze 2 -- Oakland, CA -- April 18th, 2014
Unearth -- Pontiac, MI -- April 17th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 08-02-2006, 07:27 PM
Blunts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_turkey_ed
Bodom is well on their way to selling out. The amount of press Alexi has received this last year has been a total media blowjob. Bodom's first three albums compared to their last reveals an incredible movement toward mainstream metal, especially that which shows up regularly on the Headbanger's Ball. Those kind of compromises smell like "selling out" to me, a compromise in an artist's musical integrity for the sake of a dollar.
Oh My God!!!! A Metal band is getting press, and is finally on a show on tv so i can watch them . . . they are now so popular they can tour regularly in the US . . . they must be selling out!!!

Quote:
I'm not against a band making a dollar (or lots of them, for that matter) but when I detect a change massive change away from a sound I really like, it had better be good. I find the change in Bodom's to be uninspired and generic, not unlike what Arch Enemy has done with their last album.
well that is a personal preference . . . i didnt like the new album either, but it doesnt mean they sold-out.

I dont know how you can find Doomsday Machine to be uninspired.

Quote:
Dismissing metalcore as a genre for being terrible is as close-minded as condemning blue grass or jazz. A lot of metalcore outfits execute well but its basic rhythm and structure may not be your thing. That's far from being necessarily terrible.
jazz and bluegrass are much more emotional and challenging forms of music to play . . . most metalcore bands are cookie-cutter produced and lack any real talent or creativity . . . try coming up with a metalcore song . . . there really is nothing to it. besides those genres have both withstood the test of time and excersize a huge influence on today's pop music. Watch how long metalcore stays popular . . . just like disco the hype will die down and all the kids who listen to it just because they think its cool will stop . . . and those metalcore bands will be left without a fanbase, realease a best of, and then die.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:27 PM
Where all the white women at?

Quote:
total media blowjob.

YEAH BABY!!!!!!
Old 08-02-2006, 07:28 PM
Blunts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylpriest
YEAH BABY!!!!!!
ok . . .
Old 08-02-2006, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalDrummer888
ok . . .
I just got finished watching Austin Powers
Old 08-02-2006, 07:47 PM
Director, Set List Intelligence

Quote:
Oh My God!!!! A Metal band is getting press, and is finally on a show on tv so i can watch them . . . they are now so popular they can tour regularly in the US . . . they must be selling out!!!

well that is a personal preference . . . i didnt like the new album either, but it doesnt mean they sold-out.

I dont know how you can find Doomsday Machine to be uninspired.

jazz and bluegrass are much more emotional and challenging forms of music to play . . . most metalcore bands are cookie-cutter produced and lack any real talent or creativity . . . try coming up with a metalcore song . . . there really is nothing to it. besides those genres have both withstood the test of time and excersize a huge influence on today's pop music. Watch how long metalcore stays popular . . . just like disco the hype will die down and all the kids who listen to it just because they think its cool will stop . . . and those metalcore bands will be left without a fanbase, realease a best of, and then die.

Listen to the basic rhythms of Bodom's last album and relate them to the mainstream metal market. Bodom's last abum fits well on Ozzfest's second stage. Bodom is certainly trying to appeal to much wide audience. Fans usually consider that selling out.

Compare Doomsday with its predecessors. The riffing is far more basic than the first two Angela albums and those are far less complex or extreme than the first three. Nemesis was their big single..does that sing along really compare with the nasty lyrics from their past?

Jazz and bluegress challenging? Sure, they can be but anyone can make a cookie cutter album in either of those genres too. There's more to good metalcore than the breakdown and one note rhythms. To some people, metalcore is their music. They can play it with as much passion, piss, and vinegar as in any metal genre. You're right about the longevity factor but that can be said about a lot of music; there will be bands that survive, just as bands from my school days have survived. This thread started out on Nu (Rob) and Anthrax (thread). Both those genres are in legacy mode. Metalcore will largely go the same way.. and then there will be something new.

It really makes me laugh when people play the music superiority game. It's usually a ritual of justifying one's preferences and feeling better about their own music. Let people have their music, whatever it is.
Old 08-02-2006, 07:56 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Are You Dead Yet? was MOSTLY above average metalcore IMO.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:02 PM

Well I love metalcore...but hate CoB....so AYDY? isn't metalcore
Old 08-02-2006, 08:27 PM
Blunts.

Quote:
Listen to the basic rhythms of Bodom's last album and relate them to the mainstream metal market. Bodom's last abum fits well on Ozzfest's second stage. Bodom is certainly trying to appeal to much wide audience. Fans usually consider that selling out.
maybe they just felt like incorporating some metalcore elements because the felt like it, not because they thought it would get them more fans

Quote:
Compare Doomsday with its predecessors. The riffing is far more basic than the first two Angela albums and those are far less complex or extreme than the first three. Nemesis was their big single..does that sing along really compare with the nasty lyrics from their past?
doomsday has much more inspired guitarwork than anthems imo

Quote:
Jazz and bluegress challenging? Sure, they can be but anyone can make a cookie cutter album in either of those genres too. There's more to good metalcore than the breakdown and one note rhythms.
yea there are the whiny pop vocals

Quote:
You're right about the longevity factor but that can be said about a lot of music; there will be bands that survive, just as bands from my school days have survived.
You know what will survive? A band like Edguy or Dream Theater that has uniqueness and talent and inspiration in every album and every song . . . not some shitty metalcore band that sounds like all the rest.

btw what does the sentence "This thread started out on Nu (Rob) and Anthrax (thread)" mean?

Quote:
There's more to good metalcore than the breakdown and one note rhythms.
yes, a band called trivium

every other album by every other metalcore band that i have heard has sounded almost exactly the same to me . . . at least bodom still has a unique sound
Old 08-02-2006, 08:41 PM
Director, Set List Intelligence

Quote:
maybe they just felt like incorporating some metalcore elements because the felt like it, not because they thought it would get them more fans

doomsday has much more inspired guitarwork than anthems imo

yea there are the whiny pop vocals

You know what will survive? A band like Edguy or Dream Theater that has uniqueness and talent and inspiration in every album and every song . . . not some shitty metalcore band that sounds like all the rest.

btw what does the sentence "This thread started out on Nu (Rob) and Anthrax (thread)" mean?

yes, a band called trivium

every other album by every other metalcore band that i have heard has sounded almost exactly the same to me . . . at least bodom still has a unique sound
Given where Bodom originated, I doubt they included metalcore elements out of artistic inspiration. They largely ditched their uniqueness (melody, keyboards) on their last album.

We disagree on Doomsday.

All metalcore sounding the same is like saying all death metal sounds the same or all black metal sounds the same, or all thrash sounds the same, or all...... There's a lot of people that say metal all sounds the same... Go figure.

Trivium is a bit clonish to my ears... I already have other clonish bands in the position they would occupy.
Old 08-02-2006, 08:47 PM
Somewhere Back In Time

Wow, my concert review thread has been hijacked.

Tags
anthrax, rob zombie