Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 05-01-2006, 01:34 AM
N00B

Exodus -- New York City, NY -- April 30th, 2006

MOTHER FUCK.

First off I'm pretty exhausted so you'll have to excuse a crappy review... but anyway. What a wonderful goddamn show. It was intense, 5 opening bands (would've been 6 but as we heard, Cryptopsy got fucked)... so, band by band, quick synopsis:

Subzero: Shitty hardcore. Not worth mentioning.

Full Blown Chaos: Also shitty hardcore, but a little better than Subzero.

Skinless: Wow. Awesome performers. Their music is pretty standard (but good) death metal, but they (especially the vocalist) expressed it in a manner that pissed on my ancestors. The vocalist was an absolute maniac, jumping into the crowd several times, running to the back to be hoisted up by people and then doing vocals from there (it's hard to explain), and of course, the "Tsunami of Death" (which actually didn't really work out here; people didn't get it and just moshed instead of rushing the stage like they were supposed to). They put on a great show and shot some life into the crowd (which was dead thanks to Subzero and Full Blown Chaos).

Immolation: While their music is awesome, I actually wasn't into them as much as Skinless or Suffocation. They played their hearts out, but they were just missing that "something" that the other two DM bands had in spades. But maybe that's just me. In any case they were good.

Suffocation. Not much I can say about them except that they were fucking great. Their vocalist is awesome as well. Charismatic motherfucker. And what great death metal.

And finally... the reason I was there... fucking...

Exodus.

Mother of fuck. This may not have been the Hunolt/Holt Slay Team. Neither Baloff nor Zetro were present. There was no Tom Hunting or Rob McKillop. BUT THEY FUCKING DESTROYED MY CUNT ANYWAY. I was fortunate enough to get a spot on the rail near the center (I defended my post from 5:30 pm to 12:30 am!!), and I was headbanging furiously at least 50% of the time. Gary Holt has assembled a powerhouse lineup to ensure the survival of Exodus. There is no other way to describe it. With Paul Bostaph on the skins and Lee Altus (of Heathen!!!) on second guitar, there is just no fucking hope for posers. My god. Even the new vocalist Rob Dukes took a metal shit all over my face and then proceeded to implode my head with his superior manliness. Only possible complaint I could fathom is that a large portion of their set (very large actually, maybe half) was from the new album. Now I love the new album, but I mean, it was a bit much. But fuck what I think. Gary Holt has eaten my face.

I don't claim that this is in the correct order, but there's going to be some semblance of how they played what they did. I'm going to look through each of their albums and list which songs they played, so you'll know everything on the set, just not necessarily in order.

Raze
Deathamphetamine
Blacklist
Now Thy Death Day Come
A Lesson in Violence
Altered Boy
Brain Dead
I Am Abomination
Bonded By Blood
.44 Magnum Opus
The Last Act of Defiance
No Love
Shovel Headed Kill Machine

Encore:
Deliver Us To Evil
War Is My Shepherd
Strike of the Beast

Yeah, that may be pretty out of order. But that's what they played. SO DIE!!!!!

Last edited by overkiller; 05-01-2006 at 01:37 AM.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:48 AM
N00B

Oh, and other points of (maybe) interest:

At the end, when Gary was throwing picks into the crowd, I was yelling like everyone else, and a pick landed in my fucking mouth. Weird shit.

They were selling this awesome zipper hoodie that I've wanted for a long time--the front just says Exodus and the back says, you know, NorCal Thrash Metal or whatever. But the key thing is, centered on the back, are the succinct words "SATAN DEATH BLOOD FUCK". Coolest shirt ever. Anyway, point of the story, B.B. Assrape's was charging $100 for them.

I bought the SHKM tour shirt (pretty awesome), and since I am a whore, I spent $7 on a shitty wristband with Exodus' logo embroidered onto it.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:01 AM
Hearts I Rip?

Cool

So much stuff from Shovel Headed.

I guess they hate Souza though.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:20 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelripper
So much stuff from Shovel Headed.

I guess they hate Souza though.
Yeah. I forgot to mention that Gary went on subtle rants about all of the recently departed members... one probably wouldn't 'get it' unless one knew the band and their situation, but still... it was a pretty dick thing to do. Forgot about that until now.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:10 PM
N00B

Old 05-01-2006, 12:16 PM
We're dying on the inside

No Love and The Last Act of Defiance, my two favorite Exodus songs.

Did "Last Act" have the criminal justice system intro?
Old 05-01-2006, 12:55 PM
MY LEG!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overkiller
Even the new vocalist Rob Dukes took a metal shit all over my face and then proceeded to implode my head with his superior manliness.
Quote:
At the end, when Gary was throwing picks into the crowd, I was yelling like everyone else, and a pick landed in my fucking mouth. Weird shit.
HAHAH
Old 05-01-2006, 01:45 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethMaiden
No Love and The Last Act of Defiance, my two favorite Exodus songs.

Did "Last Act" have the criminal justice system intro?
Indeed it did.
Old 05-01-2006, 02:01 PM
Catch The Rainbow

Quote:
THEY FUCKING DESTROYED MY CUNT ANYWAY.
I thought you were a guy
Old 05-01-2006, 02:57 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe Maiden
I thought you were a guy

It's a lingo.

When a thrasher is giving praise to said thrash band, he will often say that his "cunt" was either defiled, ripped out, or smashed, depending on the time of day of course.

Last edited by JRA; 05-01-2006 at 03:15 PM.

Tags
exodus