Home Set Lists Forums The Permanent Record Asshole Opinion

Within Temptation -- Newcastle, England -- April 14, 2014
Carcass -- Silver Spring, MD -- April 13th, 2014
Destruction -- Montreal, Quebec -- April 14th, 2014
Ghoul -- Hollywood, CA -- April 13th, 2014
Satan -- Philadelphia, PA -- April 14th, 2014

  #1  
Old 04-30-2006, 04:02 PM
powerslave_85's Avatar
powerslave_85 powerslave_85 is offline
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Burlington, VT
Posts: 10,965
Indifferent AFI -- Tucson, AZ -- April 29th, 2006

Yeah yeah, I know nobody cares, but why should you guys have all the fun with show reviews?

First, I went through hell just getting to this show. My ride didn't pan out, so I took two buses, the last of which actually stopped WAY short of the venue, so I ended up having to walk over a mile. Let me say one thing: This was, hands down, the worst crowd I've ever seen. Everyone was drunk or high, or 13-year-olds in mascara. It was also quite hot and sunny, and the security spraying the crowd with hoses was a nice thought, but they overdid it, and I ended up drenched and slightly pissed off. Also, I fucking HATE crowdsurfers, and I got clobbered countless times by people landing on my head When AFI went on, I could barely move, and was just at the mercy of the crowd. I tried my best to sing along and enjoy myself, but it was pretty hard when I was getting pummeled by crowdsurfers and pushed aside by kids trying to get to the front. It's pretty safe to say that I'll think twice before going to another radio festival. That said, the band was fucking great, and they put on an amazing show. These guys are natural performers, no doubt about it. They played a brand new song, which was fan-fucking-tastic. Setlist (not in order):

Miseria Cantare (Intro)
The Leaving Song Part 2
Bleed Black
Silver and Cold
Dancing Through Sunday
Girl's Not Grey
Ever and a Day
Days of the Phoenix
This Secret Ninja
Rabbits Are Roadkill On Route 37
Miss Murder
Totalimmortal
Kill Caustic (new song)
God Called In Sick Today

So in conclusion: Great performance, shitty crowd, somewhat miserable experience. It kind of sucks that this was the first time I'd seen AFI, who are one of my favorite bands, and it was sort of crappy . Oh well, they should be doing their own tour soon. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna take some more aspirin, because it feels like someone took a baseball bat to my upper body
__________________
"COLONEL KLINK, WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME?!"

Last edited by powerslave_85; 04-30-2006 at 04:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-30-2006, 07:37 PM
ADD's Avatar
ADD ADD is offline
Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Everywhere Else
Posts: 22,954


Told ya you should have stayed to watch The Cult
__________________
Feel It
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-30-2006, 08:02 PM
powerslave_85's Avatar
powerslave_85 powerslave_85 is offline
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Burlington, VT
Posts: 10,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADD


Told ya you should have stayed to watch The Cult
I probably would have, but my only way home was my roommate, so it was kind of up to him when he came to pick me up. And honestly, I was just too exhausted to care about anything else. I bought the ticket for AFI, and that's who I was there to see.
__________________
"COLONEL KLINK, WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME?!"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-30-2006, 08:05 PM
ADD's Avatar
ADD ADD is offline
Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Everywhere Else
Posts: 22,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85
I probably would have, but my only way home was my roommate, so it was kind of up to him when he came to pick me up. And honestly, I was just too exhausted to care about anything else. I bought the ticket for AFI, and that's who I was there to see.
Ahh. Too bad.
__________________
Feel It
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-01-2006, 12:05 AM
overkiller overkiller is offline
N00B
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 10,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85
Also, I fucking HATE crowdsurfers, and I got clobbered countless times by people landing on my head When AFI went on, I could barely move, and was just at the mercy of the crowd. I tried my best to sing along and enjoy myself, but it was pretty hard when I was getting pummeled by crowdsurfers and pushed aside by kids trying to get to the front.
Oh boohoo. I just got fucking killed by a mass of flying bodies at Exodus, and it was awesome. Although I will agree that it's shitty when people try to push to the front... if you want the rail, fucking show up early.

And I like how fucking half of their set is just the last album in succession. Losers. Then again, I guess that's what the 13-year-olds in mascara want to hear, and hey, if that's your fan base, I guess you gotta please them.



(I liked AFI when I was a dumb junior high/highschooler)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-01-2006, 05:53 AM
powerslave_85's Avatar
powerslave_85 powerslave_85 is offline
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Burlington, VT
Posts: 10,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by overkiller
Oh boohoo. I just got fucking killed by a mass of flying bodies at Exodus, and it was awesome. Although I will agree that it's shitty when people try to push to the front... if you want the rail, fucking show up early.

And I like how fucking half of their set is just the last album in succession. Losers. Then again, I guess that's what the 13-year-olds in mascara want to hear, and hey, if that's your fan base, I guess you gotta please them.



(I liked AFI when I was a dumb junior high/highschooler)
Hey, as long as everyone's having a lot of fun, are really into the band, and generally putting off a good vibe, I don't mind getting knocked around. But these people were fucking assholes. Most of them didn't even give a shit about the band, they were just there to get drunk/high and fuck people up. That's what you get with a radio festival, I suppose.

The reason, I suspect, that there's a lot of material from their last album is because it's their most recent one. Every band does that. Once their new album comes out, I bet pretty much all the Sing the Sorrow stuff will disappear. Plus, again, it was a radio station thing, so they were kind of obligated to play their most popular stuff. The shows they did in CA last week had a lot more older material in them.
__________________
"COLONEL KLINK, WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME?!"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
afi

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:50 AM.


Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008