The Cheese

Eternal Exile -- Northwood, Ohio -- March 17th, 2006

1. "The Breakdown" [Instrumental Intro]
2. Shadow Man
3. Mouth of the Recreant
4. New Dawn
5. N.I.B. [Black Sabbath]
6. War Pigs [Black Sabbath]

Last night we played our first real show. We opened for a local band named Resonant Soul. They've opened for bands like Whitesnake in the past. There were three bands last night, and we were in the middle. The setup was pretty decent. This was our first gig on a stage and with a light show. It was also our first, more or less, "official" show, as we now have a solid line-up, as we invited our original drummer to return about a week ago.

What's crazy is yesterday is the first we played together, we had only been able to practice in small groups throughout the week. Nonetheless, the gig went off without a hitch.

We setup at 8:30, checked levels at 9, and then the first act was up. We went on at 9:30. The place was actually at capacity and they were turning people away at the doors by the end of our set.

The singer of Resonant Soul was a bit worried when he found out we were a "metal" band, and actually complained to his guitarist that had invited us. The singer said we would make people leave

That didn't happen though...

We played a great set of metal though. The first two songs are C# Sabbathy sounding original ones, and then "New Dawn" is a lighter acoustic one to break it up. Originally we were going to play "Simple Man", but we dropped it last minute and went right into the Sabbath covers. The Sabbath covers were most people's favorites.

It was a real blast
Old 03-18-2006, 02:02 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

Awesome! It's a shame that it was St. Patty's Day and you didn't play any Flogging Molly or Pogues covers though
Old 03-18-2006, 02:05 PM
Traditionalist Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilCheeseWedge
The singer of Resonant Soul was a bit worried when he found out we were a "metal" band, and actually complained to his guitarist that had invited us. The singer said we would make people leave

Fuck that silly sod. If his band was any good then the people that want to see him would have just come back later.

And didn't you say they opened for Whitesnake? They aren't exactly heavy but what did he think they were? Emo?
Old 03-18-2006, 02:24 PM
The Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85
Awesome! It's a shame that it was St. Patty's Day and you didn't play any Flogging Molly or Pogues covers though
We wanted to do some Flogging Molly, but it was entirely an issue of only one band member (the drummer) knowing any FM off-hand and us not having time to learn it. It's too bad though, I would've like to do some, but we only had a week to prepare for the show, so we mostly focued on the three original songs and a few covers that we already knew (although some we hadn't played in ages like "War Pigs.")
Old 03-18-2006, 02:25 PM
The Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpeartjr.
Fuck that silly sod. If his band was any good then the people that want to see him would have just come back later.

And didn't you say they opened for Whitesnake? They aren't exactly heavy but what did he think they were? Emo?
Yeah, no kidding. They mostly play lighter stuff, although they did cover some Pink Floyd, but I didn't stay for their entire set.

No kidding
Old 03-18-2006, 02:36 PM
Like a chupacabra, but with dicks

Quote:
We wanted to do some Flogging Molly, but it was entirely an issue of only one band member (the drummer) knowing any FM off-hand and us not having time to learn it. It's too bad though, I would've like to do some, but we only had a week to prepare for the show, so we mostly focued on the three original songs and a few covers that we already knew (although some we hadn't played in ages like "War Pigs.")
Well, without a fiddle, accordion, etc. you couldn't have really done any of their stuff much justice anyways.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:42 PM
Somewhere Back In Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerslave_85
Well, without a fiddle, accordion, etc. you couldn't have really done any of their stuff much justice anyways.
Ha ha. It is not very often that you hear a statement like that on a "metal" board.

ECW, that sounds really cool. NIB is an interesting choice. That song is not an easy cover. You play guitar, right?
Old 03-18-2006, 02:52 PM
Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa

Awesome
Old 03-18-2006, 02:56 PM
Rama Lama Fa Fa Fa

Quote:
3. Mouth of the Recreant
Sweet title
Old 03-18-2006, 03:25 PM
HEY! LISTEN!

Cool!