Despised Icon -- Worcester, MA -- December 21st, 2014
Cormorant -- San Francisco, CA -- December 20th, 2014
Opeth -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 21st, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- December 21st, 2014
Pig Destroyer -- Philadelphia, PA -- December 20th, 2014

Old 09-25-2014, 02:09 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Arsis -- Kansas City, MO -- September 24th, 2014

The heavy metal magazine Decibel (pretty much the only heavy metal magazine anymore it seems) recently put out a list of the top 100 death metal albums of all time. At #50, ahead of albums like Opeth's "Blackwater Park," Nocturnus' "The Key," and Death's "Spiritual Healing" was 2004's "A Celebration Of Guilt" by Arsis. Last night at the Riot Room, the band celebrated the ten year anniversary of the album by playing it from front to back.

Arsis is fronted by tortured genius James Malone - one of the greatest all-around packages in death metal history: deeply emotional and hard-hitting lyrics, great vocal delivery and some of the best, on-point technical guitar playing that would make Chuck Schuldiner proud. The album in question, "A Celebration Of Guilt" showcases the strengths of all three qualities in perfect harmony. Opening track "The Face Of My Innocence," which usually closes Arsis sets, made for the perfect opener - high speed with lots of mind-blowing technical playing. Malone stopped after each song to thank the crowd for being at the show and crack some jokes about how ten years ago he was sleeping in a van with no health insurance - thank the metal gods he persevered and is still around today. The album featured some songs in Arsis' repertoire that have never been played live - like the penultimate song of the album "Looking To Nothing," maybe the heaviest song played that night. After finishing the album, the band played a few other tracks - "Handbook For The Recently Deceased" from their newest album (yes, it's a song about Beetlejuice!), the title track from 2008's "We Are The Nightmare," a particularly savage take on the infamous WASP track "Animal (Fuck Like A Beast)" and it was all capped off by a shortened version of their epic track "A Diamond For Disease." It was all over so soon, but the enthusiastic crowd made sure they were just as loud as the band.

Opening the show were three bands - first off was Whoracle from Topeka. They put on one of the best opening sets I've personally seen in quite some time. Effortlessly blending death and thrash metal, they had better written and performed songs than some major label bands I can think of. Honestly: they might be one of my new favorite local bands. The first touring band to play was Exmortus - they've been touring heavily on the strength of their newest album Slave To The Sword. Between their technical metal take on Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata to the two guitarists playing each other's solo's on "Metal Is King," Exmortus is always a delight to see live. Direct support fell to Allegaeon, a band I feel gets unfairly lumped in with bad bands for some reason. Allegaeon fit in perfectly on this bill - technical death metal with some melodic parts thrown in. Fantastic all around, from the guitar solos to the heavy breakdowns and the great drumming - Allegaeon is one of the best up-and-coming bands in heavy metal right now.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:16 PM
Humanaut

So no setlists? Exmortus is headlining here in Gainesville on Friday and I wanted a slight idea as to what they are going to play.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:07 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by illninoese View Post
So no setlists? Exmortus is headlining here in Gainesville on Friday and I wanted a slight idea as to what they are going to play.
Exmortus Setlist:
Immortality Made Flesh
Foe Hammer
Moonlight Sonata (Act 3)
Slave to the Sword
Metal is King
Old 10-01-2014, 02:30 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by illninoese View Post
I posted Arsis' setlist in the first post.

Tags
allegaeon, arsis, exmortus