Samhain -- Los Angeles, CA -- September 19th, 2014
Deafheaven -- Toronto, Ontario -- September 19th, 2014
DragonForce -- Aberdeen, Scotland -- September 18th, 2014
Electric Light Orchestra -- London, England -- September 14th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 08-26-2014, 08:04 PM
N00B

Misery Signals -- Toronto, Ontario -- August 23rd, 2014

Counterparts played first. They're quickly becoming one of my very favorite bands. They absolutely tore it up as always. That was a killer way to start the show. A few songs into their set their singer said, "For those of you who saw us play here 2 weeks ago, sorry you have to put up with us again." Are you kidding me? I sure hope he was attempting to be funny, because they're amazing!

Counterparts setlist
Lost
Witness
Ghost
Debris
Slave
Outlier
Compass
The Disconnect

Next up was Comeback Kid. It was my 2nd time seeing them. I wasn't expecting much since they had to be sandwiched between Counterparts & Misery Signals. I was mistaken. They were absolutely NUTS! The crowd went bananas for them. I honestly doubted Misery Signals could follow their set. Good stuff! I also had no idea that Stu from Misery Signals currently plays guitar for Comeback Kid, so he pulled double duty.

During the set change the crew hoisted a backdrop with Misery Signals' first album cover, and the crowd cheered super loud. This tour was in celebration of the 10 year anniversary of Misery Signals' first album, so the original 5 members played the whole album straight through. I was excited for this set because I had never seen this incarnation of the band before. The first time I ever even heard of Misery Signals was in 2008 when they toured w/ As I Lay Dying, Evergreen Terrace & August Burns Red. They won me over that evening, and I have been a HUGE fan ever since. The band walked out on stage, and Jesse said "Hello, old friends" before bursting into the opening song "A Victim, A Target." From that point on for the rest of their set the crowd never let up. The place was packed, and the crowd went crazy, especially during the 2nd half of "The Year Summer Ended In June." That was insane! Jesse said that he's now a high school English teacher, and he recently heard their song "Worlds & Dreams" on George Stroumbouloupoulos' show on CBC radio as the background music while he was talking about Bob Marley & Bob Dylan. That had to be pretty neat. Their set just kept getting better & better as it went on. Brendan from Counterparts sang with them on "On Account of An Absence." Then Byron Ellis joined them for "Difference Of Vengeance & Wrongs." He sang that song while Jesse screamed over top of him. That was awesome! Apparently Byron Ellis wrote that song as well. Before playing "Five Years" Jesse said that this may be the last time the 5 of them ever play a show together, but he hopes not. Then he started crying and told each of the band members, "Ryan Morgan, I love you," "Stu Ross, I love you," etc. Andrew from Comeback Kid sang "Five Years" with them. Then for the encore they did a cover of 7 Angels 7 Plagues' song "Silent Death, Crowded Lives" with Matthew Mixon of 7 Angels 7 Plagues joining them on vocals. That made sense to end the show that way since a few of the guys in Misery Signals played together in 7A7P before forming Misery Signals. This was such a fantastic show, and well worth the trip. They had a camera crew at the show, and I heard that they are going to release a documentary of this tour. I cannot wait!

Misery Signals setlist
A Victim, A Target
In Response To Stars
The Year Summer Ended In June
In Summary Of What I Am
The Stinging Rain
Worlds & Dreams
Murder
On Account Of An Absence (w/ Brendan from Counterparts)
Difference of Vengeance & Wrongs (w/ Byron Ellis)
Five Years (w/ Andrew from Comeback Kid)
--encore--
Silent Death, Crowded Lives (7 Angels 7 Plagues cover w/ Matthew Mixon of 7A7P)
10/5 For Today
10/13 Counterparts
10/16 PJ
11/3 Anberlin
11/5 BOO/Erra
12/9 ETID
12/11 Snot

Tags
counterparts, misery signals