Electric Light Orchestra -- London, England -- September 14th, 2014
Skeletonwitch -- West Springfield, VA -- September 12th, 2014
KISS -- Lake Oswego, OR -- September 14th, 2014
Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014
King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014

Old 08-22-2014, 09:26 AM
Buahahahahaha

Boris -- Santa Cruz, CA -- August 21st, 2014

Got there about half an hour after doors, which is when the bands were supposed to start, but it was pretty empty, to the opener didn't go on 'til a little after nine, when it had filled in a little better. I was surprised it wasn't full considering last time I saw Boris in San Francisco place was sold out.

The first and only opening band were Marriages. This was my second time seeing them, the first being when I saw them open for Deafheaven last summer. Their set was just as impressive this time around as last. If you don't know, Marriages are a three piece experimental rock outfit that features former members of Red Sparrowes. Their set consisted mostly of new, unreleased songs, but they opened the set with a couple of tunes from their debut EP/mini LP, Kitsune. Like last time, I couldn't help but admire the musicianship in the band, especially the bassist. He lays down really solid lines and does tones of cool chord stuff and he even takes a lead role on one song. Overall, Marriages are a band of excellent musicians making truly unique music that's really good. Check these guys out if you haven't.

Marriages
Ride In My Place
Body Of Shade
New Songs (like 3 or 4, didn't keep count)

After that, were the almighty BORIS. This was my second time seeing Boris, last time being last summer when they were playing two shows in each city: one "classics night", and the Flood night, where they played all of Flood. I went to the Flood night and that was one of the coolest shows I've gone to. And last night, Boris proved again that they're one of the best bands around. Their set comprised mostly of their new record, Noise, with a few songs from older albums in between. Every song sounded stellar, since Boris have the thickest tone ever. Like holy shit. No other band can get loud like Boris. I couldn't hear Wata that well but that's because I was standing right in front Takeshi, but even so I feel like she was louder last time I saw them, since I was also standing right in front of Takeshi that time and definitely heard her better. The first two songs sounded great, but when they started playing Pink, the crowd went fucking nuts, and rightfully so. The crowd gave the same reaction when they followed that up with Statement. The whole time they were playing, Atsuo was proving that even behind the kit, he's a complete showman, putting in so much energy, yelling with the crowd, and egging the crowd on when appropriate. When the band played the heavy songs, it was absolutely beautiful and cathartic. It's impossible not to enter a borderline meditative state during tracks like Heavy Rain, Cosmos and especially Angel. Angel was the highlight of the night, that song is the best thing they've done so far this decade. The closed their set with Vomitself, and Atsuo stage dived. Only Atsuo could stage dive to drone. What a fucking pimp. Overall, BORIS FUCKING RULE GO SEE BORIS EVERY TIME YOU GET THE CHANCE.

Boris
Melody
Vanilla
Pink
Statement
Ghost Of Romance
Heavy Rain
Taiyo No Baka
Cosmos
Angel
Quicksilver
Vomitself