Skeletonwitch -- West Springfield, VA -- September 12th, 2014
KISS -- Lake Oswego, OR -- September 14th, 2014
Richie Kotzen -- London, England -- September 16th, 2014
King Crimson -- Boston, MA -- September 15th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 08-19-2014, 11:42 PM
One who onions things

High on Fire -- Los Angeles, CA -- August 19th, 2014

This was a free show put on by Converse, it ended up being a killer time. I saw a bit of the opener Arctic, but I wasn't too big a fan to be honest. Just seemed like generic SoCal stoner rock to me.

Ran into Christopher right as HoF began, good hanging with you dude! This was by far the best time I've seen High on Fire. Matt's voice is sounding fantastic and the band sounds tight as fuck. Extra props go to Jeff, who had what might have been one of the best live bass tones I've ever heard. His playing made every song sound twice as awesome, like imagine his tone from De Vermis but even better. Des was his usual swinging and solid self. The mix was also outstanding, HoF have a sound guy that really knows the songs inside and out and mixes dynamically as a result. Little things like pulling up the triggers during the double-bass parts or applying an echo effect during particular words of Cometh Down Hessian to make it just like the album made the set seem all the tighter and more dialed in. Matt also seemed the most comfortable onstage I've ever seen him, he did a "hey hey" chant at one point and he and Jeff spent a solid couple minutes as the set ended shaking hands and high-fiving people up front.

This was also the first time that I've ever felt 100% satisfied by a 75 minute HoF set. The length felt just right, and honestly just totally flawless. Matt even nailed the Snakes for the Divine into with zero duff notes, which I have never seen him do until now. So stoked on High on Fire right now, fuck this set was so good. Also there were a shockingly high number of pretty women at this show. Like literally everywhere you'd look, insanely pretty girls to the left and right. Crazy.

Nothing too special setlist-wise. This was my first time seeing Hessian in 5 years (fuck I feel old now) and my first time seeing Baghdad at all. I thought this was as solid of a career-spanning set that you could want from HoF, though as always, more De Vermis would make it better.

01. Fury Whip
02. Eyes and Teeth
03. Fertile Green
04. Madness of an Architect
05. Cometh Down (fucking) Hessian
06. Frost Hammer
07. Baghdad
08. Devilution
09. Serums of Liao
10. Rumors of (fucking) War
11. Fireface
12. Snakes for the Divine

Scored a Home Run at In n Out on the way home and basically broke the restaurant's workflow. It was scary as fuck.
Impaled (?) - 8/15
Sleep - 8/30
Swans - 9/10
King Diamond - 10/31
Old 08-20-2014, 08:25 AM
N00B

I caught the show in Boston, and besides the pretty girls part, it went exactly as you described it. They were just as good as when I saw them in November, although the crowd at the other show was a lot more fun. So glad I got to hear Devilution live!
9/25 - Uncle Acid and The Deadbeats
9/28 - Coheed and Cambria
9/29 - Rise Against
Old 08-20-2014, 12:03 PM
"I call it torture you call it life. A slave to money and everything I despise"

Would've went to the Boston show but Ramming Speed had an (also free) video shoot that night that I went to instead. I still haven't seen HoF surprisingly.
10/11 Tom and Boot Boys
10/21 Dead Congregation
10/26 Pallbearer
Old 08-20-2014, 03:53 PM
I like the way the line runs up the back of the stocking

I'm not looking but super excited for tonight

Tags
high on fire