Kreator -- London, England -- December 18th, 2014
It Lies Within -- Westland, MI -- December 16th, 2014
Pallbearer -- Kansas City, MO -- December 16th, 2014
System Of A Down -- Inglewood, CA -- December 13th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 08-01-2014, 02:49 AM
brotuhl

Dillinger Escape Plan -- Brooklyn, NY -- July 31st, 2014

I only saw The Dillinger Escape Plan for the first time, earlier this year. I remember how nervous I was. Very few bands have a live show as notorious as theirs. Tonight was my second time seeing them, and these dudes brought their A game (A, in this case, standing for Ape-shit.)

What a fucking show. I don't know if I've ever seen (or will ever see) Saint Vitus get that rowdy. The only show that comes to a close second was West End Motel last year, but that wasn't part of the performance. The crowd, however small it may have been, were just getting really annoyed with Brent Hinds on what can only be described as one of his "bad nights."

Getting to this show posed more of a problem than normal. I walked out of my house to find the front passenger tire on my car completely flat and coming off the rim. And, after convincing one of my friends to drive, his car started overheating. So, a couple hours behind schedule, we finally get the coolant in his car, and we're on our way at 9:10.

We got there about half way through Torrential Downpour's set. I grabbed a beer, had a piss, and waited for TD to finish so we could get up to the front. I stayed off to the left in front of Weinman for the show. That dude fucking shreds.

When they got on stage, Greg said something about Miss Machine coming out 10 years ago. "Don't get excited, it's not like we're playing the whole fucking thing." Within seconds of that announcement, the set kicked off with Panasonic Youth, and when I say 'kicked,' that is not a fucking turn of phrase. The shit hit the proverbial turbine. And by the time 43% Burnt came on (which was immediately transitioned into from Understanding Decay; no break, no introduction on the mic), it was pretty apparent that neither the band nor the audience would be letting up, at any point. Though, that song may be a bad point of reference, if you're looking for an eye in the storm. Nothing can save you from the impending doom laid upon thee by a DEP crowd when that barrage of a song starts.

There were a few technical issues at the beginning of the set (Greg needing a different mic wire, Ben's guitars shitting out), but this is to be expected from a band that is known for bringing the mother fucking ruckus.

Panasonic Youth
Farewell, Mona Lisa
Milk Lizard
Prancer
Room Full of Eyes
Happiness is Just a Smile
Understanding Decay
43% Burnt
Hero of the Soviet Union
Nothing's Funny
One of Us Is the Killer
Crossburner
Good Neighbor
When I Lost My Bet
Sunshine the Werewolf

And yes, the set may be a little too heavy on material from the newest album, but a Dillinger show is still a Dillinger show. No matter what songs they pull out, it's still going to be one of the best no-bullshit concerts you're going to see in your life. This band doesn't need a light show, stage-props, or gimmicky costumes. They'll still wreck the place, whether it's a whole in the wall like Saint Vitus tonight, or an Amphitheater like the PNC in Jersey this coming Saturday.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:59 AM

Vitus seems like a crazy place to see them, wish I could have made this. Did Ben jump into the crowd at all? This venue is actually too small and there's nothing really to hang/jump off for them.

Too bad they're in the area and not playing the Jones Beach show tonight.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:40 AM
brotuhl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coma323 View Post
Vitus seems like a crazy place to see them, wish I could have made this. Did Ben jump into the crowd at all? This venue is actually too small and there's nothing really to hang/jump off for them.
Ben and Greg both did their fair share of jumping on top of the crowd. Ben didn't get halfway through Farewell Mona Lisa without walking on top of us. At the end of the show, the only way Greg could get off the stage was by jumping on top of the crowd and rolling to the back of the room lol.

Last edited by Polock91; 08-01-2014 at 03:53 AM.

Tags
dillinger escape plan