The Story So Far -- Lawrence, KS -- September 30th, 2014
Coheed and Cambria -- Boston, MA -- September 28th, 2014
Vixen -- Madrid, Spain -- September 27th, 2014
Crowbar -- Vancouver, British Columbia -- September 28th, 2014
Saviours -- San Francisco, CA -- September 27th, 2014

Old 07-28-2014, 06:28 PM
N00B

Warped Tour -- Auburn Hills, MI -- July 18th, 2014

I went to the Warped Tour this year. I know that I lose "street cred," if you will, by attending this tour, but oh well. I saw a band called Fear Before The March of Flames on the Sounds of The Underground tour in 2005, and when the crowd wasn't into them at all, they stopped in the middle of a song, and their singer said with a straight face, "You guys are worse than Warped Tour." That was as hilarious as it was insulting. There is nothing worse for a metal fan than comparing them to a Warped Tour crowd, or at least that was the case back then. Nowadays metal is well represented on the Warped Tour. This was my 3rd Warped Tour. I went in 2007 to see Poison The Well, Underoath, It Dies Today & Killswitch Engage. I went in 2010 for Andrew WK, Dillinger Escape Plan, Haste The Day, Parkway Drive & Every Time I Die. It's always a fun day, and I always see a band or two that I'm pleasantly surprised by. There's always a band playing, and it's a pretty good bang for your buck because of it. To be honest, I was shocked how many people were waiting in long lines for band signings. Why not go watch a band playing live instead? Maybe that's just me. I did feel a bit out of place this year due to my age. I'm probably about double the age of the average audience member (if you exclude the numerous parents that were there as chaperones watching the clock, waiting for it to end). I bought a ticket as soon as For Today was announced, and then they added a bunch of other cool bands. I got to see pretty much all of the bands that I REALLY wanted to see, with one exception. Unfortunately I The Breather and The Ghost Inside played simultaneously on separate stages. That was such a tough choice, but I went with I The Breather because I had only seen them 3 other times (as opposed to probably about 8x for The Ghost Inside), and I also hadn't seen I The Breather in 2 years. I saw The Ghost Inside at least twice last year. I think I made the correct choice. I'm sure The Ghost Inside tore it up as usual, though. I can honestly say I had a great time at Warped this year. It was much better than MayhemFest, actually. I doubt I'll make it an annual event, but I had a fun day for sure.

Terror played first at 11:30am. Talk about a band that'll wake you up in the morning. WOW! They were absolutely amazing as always. I think a lot of the younger crowd were pleasantly surprised. They're simply one of the best live bands in the world. That's a fact. Scott kept trying to get the crowd to crowd surf, but to no avail. Maybe it was too early. He also said "You're Caught" is his favorite Terror song. I disagree, but oh well. He's still the man! "Keep Your Mouth Shut" was the highlight.

Terror setlist
Strike You Down
Stick Tight
You're Caught
Overcome
Always The Hard Way
Live By The Code
Out of My Face
Keep Your Mouth Shut
Keepers of the Faith

Born Of Osiris played next on the Monster Energy stage, and the place was absolutely PACKED for their set. I had no idea they had that much of a following. They brought the shred as usual.

Vanna was next. They only played to about 150 people, but I thought they were fantastic. It was my 2nd time seeing them. I was going to buy their new CD, but by the time I went to their merch booth at the end of the night, they were already packed up & gone. Oh well, next time.

Every Time I Die were incredible as always. Every time I see them I get kinda bummed thinking about all of the other times that they've come through town and I didn't go see them. For instance, last November they came through with letlive, and I saw Clutch instead on the same night. No regrets, but, man, I am still kinda kicking myself for that one. They're not only a great live band, but they're such good musicians with a totally unique sound that sort of mixes garage rock, hardcore, and metal. It's really a sound that's all their own. Their intro music was the theme from the beginning of "2001 A Space Odyssey." They dedicated the song "Decayin' With The Boys" to the band Terror and "The New Black" to a dad who had a 6-year-old girl on his shoulders during their set. Keith called him the coolest dad on Warped Tour & demanded that someone get him a coffee mug right now. I was shocked how many people were seeing ETID for the first time. Those people have been missing out. I already cannot wait to see ETID again, and since they have a brand new CD out right now, I probably won't have to wait very long.

Every Time I Die setlist
Floater
Bored Stiff
Under Water Bimbos From Outer Space
Thirst
Decayin' With The Boys
The New Black
Ebolarama
El Dorado
We'rewolf
No Son Of Mine

Stray From The Path was next. Usually these guys are really good live, but to be honest, this set was a bit off. I can't put my finger on it. They weren't bad or anything... just not nearly as good as usual. They said they'll be back at The Shelter in the fall, but they didn't mention who they'll be touring with. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the date, and I'll be there.

Stray From The Path setlist
Badge And A Bullet
Mad Girl
Negative & Violent
Death Beds
Bring It Back To The Streets
Damien
Black Friday
Rising Sun

The Devil Wears Prada were the next band I saw, and apparently they had their fans vote on their setlist. That's pretty cool. Since they only get a 30 minute set, might as well mix it up and let the fans in each market have a hand in picking the songs. At the end of their set they said they had sort of a tie, and they gave the crowd a choice between "Sassafras" and "Dez Moines." The overwhelming choice was "Dez Moines," which I also cheered for. The Devil Wears Prada is another one of those bands that'll make you lose "scene points" for listening to, but I don't care whatsoever. I think they're excellent, and their newer stuff keeps getting better & better.

The Devil Wears Prada setlist
Danger: Wildman
Reptar, King Of The Ozone
Assistant To The Regional Manager
Sailor's Prayer
Outnumbered
Dez Moines
Hey John, What's Your Name Again

Less Than Jake was one of the bands I was looking forward to the most. I'm not a huge fan or anything, but a few of my buddies in college sort of turned me on to them. They said they were voted the most attractive band on Warped Tour over the age of 36. Before they played "The Science of Selling Yourself Short" they said it was their hit single from 10 years ago, so maybe your parents know it. That was their hit song when I was in college, actually. hahaha. They said they've played Warped Tour more than any other band. In fact, at some point this summer they're playing their 365th career Warped show. Wow, they've spent literally an entire year of their lives on Warped Tour. That's quite unique. Their set was so fun! I loved it, and I'm a total metal head. I'd definitely go see them again.

The Color Morale were next. I saw them 4 or 5x during their first album circa 2009 and then sort of forgot about them. They might've been the best band of the day, seriously. They tore the place apart! They'll be back on tour in the fall with We Came As Romans and For Today. I am THERE!

Speaking of For Today, they were next. They're one of my absolute favorite bands ever. Their set was solid, but it was pretty much the same songs they always play. That was to be expected with a 30 minute set, though. The highlight was that Ryan from Fit For A King joined them for "Break The Cycle" to sing the part that the singer from Memphis May Fire sings on the record. That was cool.

For Today setlist
Break The Cycle (w/ Ryan from Fit For A King)
Foundation
Pariah
Seraphim
Fearless
Devastator

Anberlin was the next band I saw. They came out on stage, and their singer said, "Detroit! So good to be back! Let's make this the best show of the tour!" Then they went right into their biggest hit "The Feel Good Drag," and the crowd went nuts. It stayed that way for their entire set. It was non-stop energy from the word "go." Sadly they are getting ready to go out on their farewell tour in the fall. I understand that eventually all bands call it a day, but I am truly bummed because I seriously LOVE that band. They'll be in Detroit one last time on Nov. 3rd. I wouldn't miss it for the world. In fact, I may have to go to their farewell tour twice. They're such a fun live band.

Anberlin setlist
The Feel Good Drag
Hello Alone
Someone Anyone
Impossible
The Resistance
Godspeed
Paperthin Hymn

I watched Close Your Eyes next. It was my 2nd time seeing them. They were solid.

I The Breather played next. I was super-excited about seeing them again. Their new record LIFE REAPER is excellent, by the way. Go buy it.

I The Breather setlist
False Profit
Forgiven
Bruised & Broken
Dear Devil
Setting Sun
High Rise

I watched a bit of Crown The Empire. They were OK. There was a HUGE crowd watching them. They joked that since they have a new record this summer, they can play more than just the same 6 songs they've been playing over & over for the past 2 years. Hehehe. Nothing stopped them from mixing up their sets before. Hey, at least they are honest.

Parkway Drive hit the stage next. They sounded GREAT, but their live set wasn't nearly as crazy as it usually is. I was surprised because I think this is only their 2nd US tour in support of ATLAS. Maybe the crowd was tamer because it was the end of a long, hot day.

Parkway Drive setlist
Wild Eyes
Sleepwalker
Deliver Me
Dark Days
Carrion

Fit For A King closed the show for me. They played on one of the smaller stages, but they had a nice big crowd watching them, especially since they had to compete with The Story So Far (one of the tour's biggest bands) closing the main stage. A few songs into their set a fan proposed to his girlfriend on stage. He put the mic down while he was talking to her, so I don't know what he said, but it was beautiful. I know proposing on stage at a concert is cheezy as hell, but they both looked so happy & in love. I know, I'm a softy! Fit For A King are an amazing heavy band, and I cannot wait to see them again.

Fit For A King setlist
Warpath
Bitter End
Ancient Waters
Descendants
Hollow King
11/3 Anberlin
11/5 BOO/Erra
12/9 ETID
12/11 Snot
12/20 Battlecross
Old 07-28-2014, 07:34 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

>going to warped
>not seeing any pop punk

o_O; baka
10/05 - Macabre
10/07 - Knuckle Puck
Old 07-29-2014, 12:15 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
>going to warped
>not seeing any pop punk

o_O; baka
I know.
Tom Petty
Louder than Life Fest
ADTR/BMTH
Motley Crue/Alice Cooper
Old 07-29-2014, 04:17 AM
THIS IS LHHC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindeets View Post
Born Of Osiris played next on the Monster Energy stage, and the place was absolutely PACKED for their set. I had no idea they had that much of a following. They brought the shred as usual.
This is hilarious because when I saw them at Warped in '12, they had one of the smallest and dead crowds I've ever seen at a Warped Tour and they're from here. They tried to get the tiny crowd to circle pit around the soundbooth and there was only one asshole that even tried it.
10/21 King Diamond
10/22 Tombs ?
10/23 Pentagram ?
11/1 Kult ov Azazel
Old 07-29-2014, 06:41 AM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindeets View Post
Nowadays metal is well represented on the Warped Tour.
I hate to be THAT guy, but seriously?????
Old 07-29-2014, 06:55 AM
When your grabbing ass with your friends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mankvill View Post
>going to warped
>not seeing any pop punk

o_O; baka
*Raises hand proudly

Tags
anberlin, every time i die, fit for a king, for today, i the breather, parkway drive, stray from the path, terror, the devil wears prada