Thy Art Is Murder -- Sydney, Australia -- December 19th, 2014
Intronaut -- West Hollywood, CA -- December 19th, 2014
Cannabis Corpse -- Chicago, IL -- December 17th, 2014
Kreator -- London, England -- December 18th, 2014
It Lies Within -- Westland, MI -- December 16th, 2014

Old 07-15-2014, 11:44 AM
Altars of Radness

Sargeist -- Los Angeles, CA -- July 11th, 2014

It was a sweaty night at The Black Castle in South Central. Itís not often we get to see European black metal bands out here, so the fans came out in droves. I overheard the doorman mention that they sold 570 tickets. If it wasnít sold out it had to be damn close. People had an especially good reason to drive out for this show, since Sargeist would be making their first appearance here in their fifteen year existence. It was a night not to be missed.

By the time my friends and I had arrived at the venue it was already packed and Nightbringer was setting up their equipment. They seemed to take forever, but eventually got through their sound check and on to actually playing. Unfortunately like their sound check, their set seemed to drag on forever. They werenít bad, but I felt bored after a couple songs and decided to step outside for some relief from the stifling heat. Once Nightbringer finished their set a lot of the crowd headed outside to buy beer, which allowed an opportunity for me to grab a decent spot near the front.

As with Nightbringer, Sargeist took a while to set up and do their sound check, but eventually they were ready shortly after midnight. Once they were all set Hoath Torog turned around to the crowd and said, ďSatanic Black Devotion,Ē before the band unleashed the full force of Finnish black metal. It was an all out assault from the start with only short breaks between the songs. The band sounded phenomenal and had an imposing presence on stage. Shatraug would stare blankly into the crowd as if it were an abyss and roll his eyes backwards. The crowd was extremely enthusiastic, but at times a bit idiotic as well. There were a few crowd surfers and during one song a guy got on stage and approached Hoath Torog, who promptly shoved him back into the sea of people. Unfortunately it felt as though Sargeistís set had flown by far too quickly, as it was only slightly under 50 minutes long. I was satisfied with the song choices, however I was left wanting a couple more from them. It was a rare treat to even be able to see them though, and itís an experience I know I wonít be likely to have the pleasure of repeating any time soon, if ever again.

1. Satanic Black Devotion
  2. Echoes from a Morbid Night
  3. Feeding the Crawling Shadows
  4. Empire of Suffering
  5. Black Treasures of Melancholy
  6. Black Fucking Murder
  7. Reaping with Curses & Plague
  8. The Shunned Angel
  9. Returning to Misery & Comfort
Old 07-15-2014, 03:38 PM
"I call it torture you call it life. A slave to money and everything I despise"

Missing Sargeist was one of the most devastating shows I had to miss. I was in NYC for it, had tickets, but shit happened and I had to drive back to MA. I was so bummed, I hope for you or anyone else who got to see them had a great time.
1/2 Forn
1/11 Mayhem/Revenge
2/7 Napalm Death
Old 07-15-2014, 05:48 PM
One who onions things

I spent the night hanging out with my co-workers and wasn't free until 11. I found out after that I could have easily made it to the show to catch at least all of Sargeist. Still had a great night, I just regret not dropping by at all.
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16
Old 07-16-2014, 07:56 AM
Death by Metal

Just doesn't seem like a Sargeist set when they don't play Let the Devil In.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:20 AM
Altars of Radness

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinm4bama View Post
Just doesn't seem like a Sargeist set when they don't play Let the Devil In.
I thought it was strange they only played one song from the album, seeing as it's easily their most popular. Empire of Suffering is my favorite from Let the Devil In though, so I didn't mind.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:23 AM
with his arms outstretched

I ordered Let the Devil In months ago from amazon.ca and they keep sending me emails saying that it's been delayed the week before they're supposed to deliver it. It's really starting to piss me off. Why say things are available and will ship within a week it they're clearly not?

12/27 -- Unearth/Protest the Hero
03/07 -- Video Games Live
07/06 -- U2

Tags
sargeist