Otherwise -- Sturtevant, WI -- September 19th, 2014
Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 07-13-2014, 12:40 PM
Smoke Satan, Worship Crack

Grindcore Fest -- Los Angeles, CA -- July 12th, 2014

Venue: 333 Live
Source: me and help from Onioner

This was the second annual Grindcore Fest to celebrate the life of Jesse Pintado. I had such a blast last year that I wanted to attend this festival again. The show happened at this venue in LA that I had never heard of called 333 Live. I was skeptical at first, but arrived at the venue for my day of grind around 430. The venue consisted of two floors with a nice size stage on each and a giant patio on the second floor. I was very pleased about this at first, but the only ways to get between the two floors was either by a tiny staircase or a tiny hallway that led into a beer line that was located at the top of that tiny staircase. It was definitely took a few minutes just to get from one stage to the next. There were three bars at the venue. I was thinking of filling myself up on Jameson for the day, but I overheard someone complaining about the prices, so I decided to stick to water. A BOTTLE OF WATER WAS $5!!!! The bar at the main stage gave out free water in a cup, but it was a 5oz cup and the water looked murky and tasted like ass, so I didn't want to consume that.

Anyways, I got to the second stage around 440 and caught the last ten minutes of Doesn't Matter. Their a cool new grind/punk band from LA. I've been meaning to catch them for a year or so and was happy with what I saw. I'll definitely see them again. Raptor was supposed to start the main stage at 5, but one of the guys in Doesn't Matter was doing sound for the main stage and decided to start that after his band ended, so Raptor went on 20 minutes late. This wouldn't seem like too much of an issue, but I'll explain later on that it was. I decided I wanted to see Final Draft upstairs at 520. I guess they went on early and I caught about half of their 10 minute set. This was the first time seeing them and they fucking ripped!! They always play in LA. I need to see them more often!! I went downstairs and saw a few minutes of Raptor, but wasn't very interested in them and went back upstairs to wait for Sons of Satan to go on. Sons of Satan is a Venom cover band that features the drummer of Gravehill and the singer of the Cauterized. I'm not sure where the guitar player is from. I've been meaning to catch them since they first formed last year, but kept missing out. They played an awesome 20 minute set of Venom songs. I'll definitely have to see them headline because they sounded just like Venom!! I unfortunately don't have a setlist. I went downstairs to hear some fucking awesome grind being played. Turned out to be a band called Your Enemy. I only saw about three minutes of their set.

At this point the second stage was ahead of schedule and the main stage was behind and bands were starting to overlap badly. I went upstairs to see part of SMD's set while I waited for War Master to go on downstairs. I ran into Onioner and we headed downstairs right as War Master was being introduced. This was my first time catching them and they sounded so awesome! My only complaint was the vocals could have been higher. They went on five minutes after their scheduled time, so I was hoping it was back to the schedule. They played about 25 minutes. I don't have a setlist for them. After they were over, I went upstairs to see who was going to be playing next. The schedule said Murder Construct was going to play upstairs, but they were moved to the main stage and were scheduled to go on at 650, but War Master ended at 645, so I knew that wasn't happening. There was a band setting up on the second stage, but I wasn't sure who it was. They started a little after 7 and introduced themselves as Archagathus. They are a grind band from Canada and I was very interesting in catching their set. I only caught five minutes of their set because I didn't want to miss Murder Construct. I went downstairs to see MC was ready to go, but they had no idea where Travis(their singer) was. They finally went on at 715(25 minutes late) and played an awesome set. I was still annoyed the vocals were low in the mix, but everyone else sounded great! This was my second time seeing MC and first time since Results came out. Here is was they played

Murder Construct:
Red All Over
Under the Weight of the Wood
No Question, No Comment
Control
No Savior
I am That
Compelled by Mediocrity
The Next Life
End of an Error
Resultados

Up next on the main stage was Bloodcum. They were one of the main reasons for me wanted to go to the fest. They were supposed to play last year's fest, but there was a last minute drama and cancelled, but then the bassist and another guy did a two song set with one of the bands. It was cool, but this time it was the real deal! The original lineup from 1986! Tom Araya's brother John was even playing guitar! They went on later then they were supposed to and unfortunately played the same time as Bloody Phoenix, but it was worth missing BP. Bloodcum sounded awesome!! The vocals were finally at the proper level. The crowd was going crazy for them! It was cool seeing a bunch of old men circle pitting the right way. Some of the guys in the pit were probably at the last Bloodcum show in the 80s. They played nine out of ten songs from their full length. Definitely the best set at the fest for me. Here is their set.

Bloodcum:
Son of Sam
Live to Kill
Treatment of Death
The World in Which We Live
Death by a Clothes Hangar
Belligerent Youth
Harassment by Farm Animals
First to Die
Sike - O - Path
Happily Married

Up next on the main stage was FCDN Tormentor. They were another band I was really excited for. They put down a setlist on the stage right away, so I took a picture of it and then went upstairs to see what was going on in the mean time. Luicidal was to play next on the second stage. I was interesting in catching them, but wanted to see Tormentor more. I only caught a minute of Luicidal because I knew Tormentor was about to go on downstairs. I got there just as they were being introduced. Most of the people at the fest were upstairs watching Luicidal. They definitely missed out on the reunion of Tormentor. It was their first show in about 25 years and it was the original lineup! They sounded so sick! The vocals sounded better than ever! Unfortunately they had to cut the last three songs on their setlist. I hope they play again and write more music! Here is a video of their set.

FCDN Tormentor:
Blood and Destruction
Tormentor
Axe the Priest
Dagger
Satanic Possessions
First Among the Dead
Eternal Grave

Nausea was set to play next on the main stage and Phobia on the second stage. I haven't seen Phobia in about five years, so I went upstairs to catch about ten minutes of their set. They sounded awesome as usual. I was glad to see Danny Walker playing with them again. Unfortunately, Nausea was playing downstairs, so I went to see them. I knew it would be a special Nausea only set since Terrorizer was going on later. I didn't write a setlist down for either band.Here is Nausea's set. Werhmacht was up after Nausea. They went on at 1040 and that was over an hour later then they were scheduled. I was excited to see them again because they were so awesome at the Key Club a few years ago. They played about 25 minutes and then brought out Scotty from Cryptic Slaughter to play a few songs. Everyone went crazy for the CS songs!! It was definitely the best pit of the night!! They only did three CS songs instead of four like they had advertised. I got to meet Scotty after their set and he was a really nice guy and super happy about how everyone reacted to the CS songs. Here is the video of the set.

Cryptic Slaughter:
MAD
Lowlife
Money Talks

Terrorizer was up last. This lineup featured Oscar on vocals and friends from the scene as his backing band. They sounded awesome! They were supposed to play all of World Downfall, but ended up playing 12 out of 16 songs for some reason. It was a bummer they cut out Whirlwind Struggle, which is my favorite song. Here is their set.

Terrorizer:
After World Obliteration
Storm of Stress
Human Prey
Corporation Pull-In
Strategic Warheads
Condemned System
Resurrection
Need to Live
Ripped to Shreds
World Downfall
--------
Fear of Napalm
Dead Shall Rise

Last edited by christopher; 07-15-2014 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:55 PM
One who onions things

Kickass review dude, and good hanging with you! It was truly an awesome, awesome time. Lots of really nice people and friendly faces. Shane Embury from Napalm Death was hanging out at the show, which was a nice touch to the Jesse Pintado thing. The venue was terrible though, no question about it. Sub-par sound, shitty staff, expensive booze, free asswater, pricey bottled water and after the show they would only give out ice without any water! Their fucking ATMs didn't even work for the first chunk of the show. Emma Pintado, the promoters and the other people directly involved with the show were totally on their shit, super nice to everyone and were professional, but the venue was just horrible.

The guitarist of Sons of Satan was Matt Price from Behold! The Monolith. The bassist/vocalist also plays bass in Lightning Swords of Death, it was scary how much he sounded like Cronos. They did a killer set of classic Venom songs. I believe this was the set, though I'm just going off of memory here.

Sons of Satan:
Bloodlust
Welcome to Hell
Warhead
Witching Hour
Countess Bathory
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16
Old 07-13-2014, 03:56 PM

Aww man, I had no idea Shane Embury was there!!! I would have loved to talked to him and got a picture. I bought a guitar off of him five years ago. It would be nice to thank him in person for the guitar. Yeah, Emma posted on Facebook how terrible the owner of the venue was treating her and everyone involved. She wanted to bring in water and beer for the staff and bands, but they wouldn't allow it.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:20 PM
One who onions things

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher View Post
Aww man, I had no idea Shane Embury was there!!! I would have loved to talked to him and got a picture. I bought a guitar off of him five years ago. It would be nice to thank him in person for the guitar. Yeah, Emma posted on Facebook how terrible the owner of the venue was treating her and everyone involved. She wanted to bring in water and beer for the staff and bands, but they wouldn't allow it.
Whoops, I goofed, it was Danny Herrera not Shane Embury. My bad! But yeah, there's this insane thread on Facebook of everyone complaining about the venue. I hope I never have to see a show there again.
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16
Old 07-13-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onioner View Post
Whoops, I goofed, it was Danny Herrera not Shane Embury. My bad! But yeah, there's this insane thread on Facebook of everyone complaining about the venue. I hope I never have to see a show there again.
As far as a venue, I thought it was one of the best I've been to in a long time to have a two stage fest at. I think there should be better management there before I go to another show there.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:35 PM
"I call it torture you call it life. A slave to money and everything I despise"

Fuck I wish I could have gone to this, glad you guys had a good time.
10/26 Pallbearer
11/11 Wolvhammer
11/18 Forward
Old 07-13-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by energymetal14 View Post
Fuck I wish I could have gone to this, glad you guys had a good time.
You and everyone else should try to come out to the next one. I know it'll be just as amazing as the last two. I'm sure they will get either Napalm Death or Lock Up to play it.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:43 PM
"I call it torture you call it life. A slave to money and everything I despise"

Quote:
You and everyone else should try to come out to the next one. I know it'll be just as amazing as the last two. I'm sure they will get either Napalm Death or Lock Up to play it.
Maybe, ive been wanting to make a trip out west for awhile now. And what better reason than for a full day of sick grind? Time to start saving up!
10/26 Pallbearer
11/11 Wolvhammer
11/18 Forward
Old 07-13-2014, 08:09 PM
One who onions things

Quote:
As far as a venue, I thought it was one of the best I've been to in a long time to have a two stage fest at. I think there should be better management there before I go to another show there.
I guess the spaces themselves were nice, but having only a narrow set of stairs being the only way to get between stages was a pain in the ass, and the acoustics were just really, really poor. Hopefully next time they'll go for something like the Echo/Echoplex, I remember Power of the Riff in 2011 there was killer.
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16
Old 07-13-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onioner View Post
I guess the spaces themselves were nice, but having only a narrow set of stairs being the only way to get between stages was a pain in the ass, and the acoustics were just really, really poor. Hopefully next time they'll go for something like the Echo/Echoplex, I remember Power of the Riff in 2011 there was killer.
Did you notice you could take the stairs near the bar up to the balcony and there was a way to get out to where the food was being served? Yeah I was hoping for the Echo/Echoplex. That might raise the price of the fest, but it'll be totally worth it.

Tags
bloodcum, cryptic slaughter, fcdn tormentor, murder construct, terrorizer