After The Burial -- Flint, MI -- September 20th, 2014
Periphery -- Lansing, MI -- September 19th, 2014
Otherwise -- Sturtevant, WI -- September 19th, 2014
Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 07-12-2014, 11:04 AM
N00B

Collective Soul -- Woodhaven, MI -- July 11th, 2014

I was bummed that I had to skip Blues Traveler at Pine Knob last night, but Collective Soul is one of my absolute favorite bands. They are my favorite non hard rock/metal band, actually. I was totally expecting this to be just a "Collective Soul plays their hits" set since it was a free show at a city festival. However, I was pleasantly surprised. They opened with two new songs, and then Ed said, "Now we're gonna play all the hits that you've heard way too many times. We're under a time constraint, so let's do it!" They said that they released their first record & "Shine" took off, but then while they were on the road between tours they would sproadically go into the studio to record songs for their 2nd album, and the song "Gel" was the first song that they ever recorded with everyone together as a group. The surprise/highlight of the evening was definitely that they played the song "Reunion" off of their 2nd album. I have never heard that song live before. Dean Rolland (their rhythm guitarist) sang the 2nd verse. It was fantastic. About two seconds into, "The World I Know" the crowd started screaming like crazy. That probably never gets old for them... seeing thousands of people who love your song singing it back to you. They said that "Where The River Flows" was the 2nd song they ever recorded all together as a band. As usual, the jammed a bit in the middle of "Hollywood," this time with a drum solo and bits of Pete Townsend's "Let My Love Open The Door." During the new song "Comes Back To You" Ed said that we were going to sing along with them and be part of Collective Soul, but, "It pays absolutely nothing. Zero." When they played "Shine" Ed was on the piano. I'd never seen that before. The ended w/ "Run," which is an amazing closing song. By the end of it, Ed is on stage by himself strumming an acoustic guitar while the audience sings, "Have I go a long way to run" over & over as the music gradually fades out. It's beautiful. They have a new record coming out in a few months, and then they're going to do a 20th anniversary tour. I can't wait! The new songs were great. Go see these guys if you get a chance. You won't regret it. Setlist:

This (new song)
Are You The Answer (new song)
Heavy
Precious Declaration
December
Compliment
Gel
Better Now
Reunion
The World I Know
Confession (new song)
Where The River Flows
Hollywood (w/ drum solo & "Let My Love Open The Door")
Comes Back To You (new song)
Shine
Run
11/3 Anberlin
11/5 BOO/Erra
12/9 ETID
12/11 Snot
12/20 Battlecross
Old 07-12-2014, 11:12 AM
N00B

I love "Reunion", awesome that they played it. Maybe they'll keep doing it. 4 new songs in a set like that is pretty cool.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:41 AM
I am not a N00B, I am a free man!

Indeed, it's awesome that they played Reunion, and I love that they've kept Compliment in the set.

10/30 - King Diamond
12/08 - Opeth / In Flames / Red Fang
Old 07-12-2014, 11:50 AM
N00B

20th Anniversary Tour, wow does time ever fly by? Shine was a huge hit during my first year of university and that was 20 years ago.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:50 PM
Metal is proof that Satan loves us and wants us to be happy.

Absolutely love this band. Need to see them again soon.

Nice review - thanks for posting.

Tags
collective soul