Battlecross -- Westland, MI -- December 20th, 2014
Sadistic Intent -- Downey, CA -- December 21st, 2013
Thy Art Is Murder -- Sydney, Australia -- December 19th, 2014
Intronaut -- West Hollywood, CA -- December 19th, 2014

Go Back   WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM > Community Forums > Set Lists and Gig Reports

Old 07-10-2014, 03:15 AM
One who onions things

Flotsam and Jetsam -- West Hollywood, CA -- July 9th, 2014

Incredibly fun night, as I got to hang out with my old friends for the first time in something like eight or nine months. Those I hung out with included our buddy Andrew Metalhead, the Hatchet boys, Seamstress Isabel, Razor Andy and Doorman Tim. Good times for me to be sure.

I basically gave no fucks about the locals, though the last one Social Overload were pretty cool. Very old-school speed metal.

Hatchet gave the absolute best performance I have ever seen from them over the last four years or so. Julz and Clark have grown incredibly comfortable onstage and Eli was just an absolute monster on drums. He's already one of the most talented drummers I know, but he just murdered everyone with his performance in this set. Solid track selection as well and no gear fuck ups too. Super tight, incredibly well performed thrash. Couldn't ask for anything more from those guys.

01. After the Dark
02. Silenced by Death
03. Fall from Grace
04. Dawn of the End
Revelations of Good and Evil (over PA)
05. Signals of Infection
06. Vanishing Point

Next up were Exmortus. I'm still shocked at just how good this band became seemingly overnight. Before they were just kind of standard death/thrash but now they're like crazy shred thrash with a little bit of growling. Anyway, their set was just awesome as fuck. They and Witchaven are easily the best bands in SoCal at the moment. Moonlight Sonata was a weird choice for the first song but it actually kinda worked, and Immortality Made Flesh melted faces. During Metal is King, the guitarists did the thing where they went back to back and played each other's instruments and it was sick as hell.

01. Moonlight Sonata (Act 3)
02. Foe Hammer
03. Immortality Made Flesh
04. Slave to the Sword
05. Metal is King

Last up were Flotz. Their performance was quite good, though not mindblowing like the best thrash shows can potentially be (I'm looking at you Exodus, Testament and Overkill). Michael Gilbert was incredible to watch solo and Eric A.K.'s voice was out of this world. Like, it sounded just like it did on the Cuatro albums onward. Really, really good. The new songs sounded really lame to be honest, and the band played the old stuff phenomenally. But goddamn, Michael Gilbert's soloing was fucking awesome, and his right hand was just crazy quick. Hammerhead sounded weirdly slow, but the other old songs sounded really really good. Doomsday for the Deceiver was probably the highlight for me. Band played for about 85 minutes with no encore break, no lame extended solos or speeches or anything. Very professional and very tight.

01. Empty Air
02. Dreams of Death
03. Hard on You
04. Desecrator
05. Smoked Out
06. Gitty Up
07. Play Your Part
08. Hammerhead
09. Iron Tears
10. Escape from Within
11. Me
12. Run and Hide
13. I Live You Die
14. Doomsday for the Deceiver
15. No Place for Disgrace

Said goodbyes to pals, picked up a Mexican Coke from the gas station and now potential amazingness awaits me tomorrow at work. Laters.
Satan/Slough Feg - 10/25
King Diamond - 8/31
Judas Priest - 11/16

Last edited by Onioner; 07-10-2014 at 03:30 AM.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:08 AM
N00B

Sweet review dude. I gotta see these guys sometime especially at a small venue like the Whisky. I was just down in LA last month and saw Stephen Pearcy at the same venue.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:22 AM
Headbanger

Cool review. Yeah too many new songs but solid otherwise. Definitely needs 1-2 off When the Storm Comes Down also...
Old 07-10-2014, 08:50 AM
N00B

Thanks for the review and setlists. I got my tickets yesterday to see this lineup in Spokane next Tuesday. Sounds like it should be a good, old fashioned thrash metal show.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:41 PM
I am not a N00B, I am a free man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onioner View Post
01. Empty Air
YES.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:25 AM
N00B

This tour rolled through Spokane last night. I was too intoxicated to remember enough to make a whole new entry so I hope it's okay to just tack some notes on here.

My buddy and I parked right next to the Exmortus tour van + trailer, so right away when we arrived we got the opportunity meet this band and chat for a bit. They're a really nice bunch of guys. We were admiring the bass player's (Jovanni?) Manowar tatoo (the sign of the hammer!). My friend was wearing his old "Clash of the Titans" shirt from 1991 and we talked about that a bit which prompted David (guitar player) to exclaim that was the year he was born. It's great to see these young guys carrying on the thrash metal tradition.

We walked up to the club and discovered that Hatchet had withdrawn from the lineup. I inquired and the guy at the door answered there was a problem with their drummer (he quit the band that day???). We ran into Julz Ramos on the sidewalk outside and talked for a bit. He appeared to be having an extremely bad day.

There were two local bands on the bill (Cold Blooded and Benign) and then Exmortus took the 'stage'. I put that in quotes because the stage at the Big Dipper in Spokane is not very big and was mostly taken up with F&J's gear. As a result, the front of the stage was used as a sort of drum riser and the rest of the band played on the floor right in front of the crowd. The result was in your face thrash metal mayhem. These guys are tight as fuck! They played the same setlist as above and then threw in an encore of "Freewheel Burning" (Judas Priest cover) since they had some extra time to play. A killer set and the crowd dug it with lots of headbanging energy.

Flotsam & Jetsam were also very good. Well polished and they blazed through a long set. I'm not familiar with much of their music (for some reason this band mostly slipped under my radar during my formative metal years back in the 80s), but assume the set list was very similar to the one posted by Onioner. My buddy was in a downer mood because his mom is going in for triple bypass surgery today. He's a huge F&J fan though so didn't want to miss the show. I think the heavy music really perked him up. At one point I handed him my glass of whiskey to wet his whistle -- he took a long drink and then poured the rest over his head. I took this as a sign that he was having a good time.

I picked up the newest Exmortus and Hatchet CDs. Both very good. Nursing a serious hangover this morning. It feels like I just got run over by a freight train. Gotta pick myself up and get ready to see Cheap Trick later tonight.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:17 PM
N00B

A short Hatchet update...checking their Facebook page it appears after the missed Spokane date the band finished out the tour playing as a three piece sans drummer.

Tags
exmortus, flotsam and jetsam, hatchet