Otherwise -- Sturtevant, WI -- September 19, 2014
Eluveitie -- Baltimore, MD -- September 19th, 2014
Riot Fest -- Denver, CO -- September 19th, 2014
It Lies Within -- Flint, MI -- September 18th, 2014
Puya -- Washington, D.C. -- September 17th, 2014

Old 07-13-2014, 04:48 AM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

Midnight -- Toronto, Ontario -- July 12th, 2014

Last night the mighty Midnight graced Toronto with their presence! I didn't really see much about a tour, so it seemed like a relatively distant one-off show. The good news for Midnight is that the turnout was huge. The Hard Luck Bar was pretty packed. I'd guess at least 150 people.

Tonights lineup consisted entirely of either black/thrash bands or black 'n roll bands. Up first was Apokaltypik Warrior, a local band who was playing when I arrived. They played a decent brand of black/thrash and black/heavy metal. I actually thought their slower more mid-paced material was better than the crazier fast stuff. It was decent, but nothing more.

Up next, Shitfucker from Detroit took the stage. Given the name, I wasn't expecting much, and they lived up to that small expectation. Their guitarist had sound problems the entire night, and his guitar cut out for most of their songs. You'd think someone would have gotten him a new cable after it happened a couple of times, but he kept trying. The singer/bassist didn't really do anything but stand there and watch while the guitarist tried to fix his rig, which is a pretty terrible thing to do as a frontman. Even when they were playing, they just weren't that good. It should be mentioned that they didn't cut their set short at all, so they finished about 15-20 minutes late. Midnight was scheduled to start at 12:00, and it was probably close to 11:20 when this band finished.

The third band of the night was Chainbreaker. They're a local black/thrash group featuring Ian Chains (Cauldron) on guitar. My buddy and I had seen them a couple of months ago, and they were pretty good, but I thought they were much tighter last night. Maybe it was because they fit in better musically, or because they were lightyears ahead of the band playing before them (I love how even the promoter knew to bill a local band above Shitfucker before the night started), but they were quite good.

Sometime after midnight, Midnight took the stage. They were awesome. I have to admit to not being familiar with the band's first album. I know the second album well and hoped they'd play a lot from that because it's coming out soon and they were selling copies of it, but they stuck to mostly the first record. The guitar was incredibly clear; one of the best sounds I've heard live, and they were pretty tight. Even though every band last night sounded exactly like Motorhead/Venom/Bathory mixed together, Midnight was by far the best. Surprisingly they played an encore, and the show was done just after 1.

Partial sets:

Chainbreaker

Consecrated

Midnight (out of order)

Satanic Royalty
You Can't Stop Steel
Lust Filth and Sleaze
Violence on Violence

Edit: Forgot to mention that Ryan Waste (Municipal Waste) was definitely there. I have no idea why, but he was sitting on top of Midnight's merch and watching from there. Seemed really strange to me, but I'm 100% convinced it was him.
10/18 - King Diamond

Last edited by Spiner202; 07-13-2014 at 04:50 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:16 AM
N00B

Was debating all day yesterday if I should have gone to this, looks like I made the wrong choice. Glad to hear it was a good show though! Only problem for me is that I love about an hour north of the city, and getting back home after 1AM on public transit is very time consuming at that hour.
11/1 - Suffocation
11/30 - Slipknot
12/21 - Opeth
Old 07-13-2014, 09:53 AM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignoftheHammer View Post
Was debating all day yesterday if I should have gone to this, looks like I made the wrong choice. Glad to hear it was a good show though! Only problem for me is that I love about an hour north of the city, and getting back home after 1AM on public transit is very time consuming at that hour.
It's been discussed to death, but these late shows are just ridiculous.

I'm fortunate that I have a buddy who doesn't mind driving, but it's still kind of crazy that they don't end these shows at earlier hours, particularly when everyone is drunk and shouldn't be driving anyways.
10/18 - King Diamond
Old 07-13-2014, 06:34 PM
N00B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiner202 View Post
It's been discussed to death, but these late shows are just ridiculous.

I'm fortunate that I have a buddy who doesn't mind driving, but it's still kind of crazy that they don't end these shows at earlier hours, particularly when everyone is drunk and shouldn't be driving anyways.
Yeah for sure. The last bus to Newmarket is around 2:30 from Finch, so I pretty much depend on the concert going on schedule.
11/1 - Suffocation
11/30 - Slipknot
12/21 - Opeth
Old 07-13-2014, 06:51 PM
Pop Punk > Slipknot and Y&T

There was a local death metal "festival" here last month where the last band took the stage around 1:30 AM. Jesus, not even MDF went that late.
09/22 - RA/TA/Radkey ?
09/23 - Crowbar
Old 07-13-2014, 07:34 PM
"I call it torture you call it life. A slave to money and everything I despise"

I wanna see Midnight again, they were awesome at MDF last year.

I don't mind shows going late if I have my car or another way to get home. But I have had to leave shows early to catch the last train (which in Boston is 1230ish on weekdays) which I was obviously bummed about. It bothers me more when shows could end early but everything runs so late that they go past the last train/bus time.
10/26 Pallbearer
11/11 Wolvhammer
11/18 Forward

Tags
chainbreaker, midnight