Old 06-27-2014, 09:08 PM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Septicflesh -- Toronto, Ontario -- June 27th, 2014

Septicflesh & Fleshgod Apocalypse
Support: Black Crown Initiate and Necronomicon
Date: Friday June 27th, 2014
Venue: the Opera House in Toronto, Ontario
T-Shirt Worn: Celtic Frost ‘Morbid Tales’

I got to the venue a little late and missed the first two bands. I didn't really care. I’m not even sure if both played. Doors were at seven, I got there at nine and Fleshgod Apocalypse went on about five minutes after I got there. Unless one band played right when the doors opened I can’t see how they fit all that (two performances, two soundchecks and time for the crowd to file in) into two hours.

I've never listened to Fleshgod Apocalypse but they were okay. The younger kids were going crazy for them so I guess they're pretty popular. I liked there wasn't any downtime during their set, they at least had ambient music playing between songs. Except during the intro to Pathfinder when the band stopped for some reason. The singer had to stall for about five minutes while they changed a guitar string or something. That really killed the good momentum they had going and it took a bit for them to get it back. I don't know any of their stuff so someone can fill in the blanks if they like. They were pretty chaotic, I liked the last song.

Fleshgod Apocalypse
1. ?
2. Minotaur (the Wrath of Poseidon)
3. ?
4. ?
5. Requiem In Si Minore
6. Pathfinder
7. ?
8. ?
9. ?
10. The Forsaking

The crowd thinned a little bit after Fleshgod Apocalypse. I’d say down to about three hundred people maybe? Septicflesh had all their gear (after the review earlier in the week said it had been delayed by customs or something). They sounded really off time and sloppy for the first couple of minutes of the Vampire from Nazareth but after that they found their stride and sounded really good. I was just a little bored by them. There are a lot of songs off Communion I’d like to hear them play, and they played pretty much the only decent stuff from the Great Mass (I didn’t like that album). The new songs were actually really good and made me want to check their new album out. I didn’t even know it came out last Tuesday. They should have played one or two more songs from it and cut one from the Great Mass. I don’t get the love for that album. Communion was way better. Thing was when I first saw Septicflesh in late-2012 on that tour with Krisiun, Melechesh, Ex Deo and Inquisition I had no idea who they were. I was actually going to leave because the show was bad but I figured I’d give them three songs; and I ended up being really surprised by them. This time I knew what to expect, so I was a little underwhelmed. And I don’t know why Spiru Agnu or whatever the singers name is even bothers with a bass guitar. He doesn’t even play it half the time. That shows you how much the bass guitar matters in extreme metal. Despite all the bad vibes I’m giving I still thought they were really good.

Septicflesh
1. The Vampire from Nazareth
2. Communion
3. A Great Mass of Death
4. Order of Dracul
5. Pyramid God
6. Unbeliever
7. Prototype
8. Lovecraft's Death
9. Burn
10. Persepolis
11. Anubis
12. Five-Pointed Star
03/07 - Video Games Live

Last edited by adamclark52; 06-27-2014 at 09:38 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:43 PM
N00B

Great show tonight! Black Crown Initiate was on at 7:30, and Necronomicon at 8:15. BCI I could take or leave, but Necronomicon were killer, despite the sound problems they had.

Both Fleshgod and Septicflesh were unbelievable, and it's awesome that Septicflesh played a few extra songs than I was expecting. Though I too was a little irked that the bass was just hung like a piece of decoration quite a bit of the time.

Overall very enjoyable show
12/21 - Opeth
1/13 - Mayhem/Watain/Revenge
Old 06-28-2014, 04:06 AM
Welcome To My Nightmare...

That was a really good show! Black Crown Initiate opened up and they were ok. They had some more upbeat moments, particularly in the latter half of the set, but they were too mid-paced overall.

Necronomicon was up next, and I was familiar with them in name only, but they were killer. I love when band's have an image and do it well. The corpse paint and synchronized windmilling reminds me of Immortal, who is probably my favourite black metal band. Musically, I loved how often they had guitar solos, and the fact that there were some decent riffs in there. I'm really not a big black metal fan, but I'm gonna check them out.

Fleshgod were just nuts. I don't think I've ever seen any song played as fast live as "The Violation" was. It was awesome how they had an actual piano, although the sound as a whole was pretty muddled. They're the only band I would give a pass to for that because their sound is pretty convoluted on the albums as well. Their 50ish minute set felt like a headliner to me.

My buddy and I stayed for about 5 Septicflesh songs, but neither of us are huge fans and we wanted to get home at a reasonable time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark52 View Post
I've never listened to Fleshgod Apocalypse but they were okay. The younger kids were going crazy for them so I guess they're pretty popular. I liked there wasn't any downtime during their set, they at least had ambient music playing between songs. Except during the intro to Pathfinder when the band stopped for some reason. The singer had to stall for about five minutes while they changed a guitar string or something. That really killed the good momentum they had going and it took a bit for them to get it back. I don't know any of their stuff so someone can fill in the blanks if they like. They were pretty chaotic, I liked the last song.
Was it because someone broke a string? I thought the drummer stopped playing, and I couldn't figure out if he broke something on his kit, or if he was just completely fatigued. He looked like he was having a rough time in the second half of the set, and when he tested all his drums when they stopped "Pathfinder", it sounded like everything worked. In any case, I would actually have no issue if that's the reason they stopped, because that was probably the most physically demanding drum performance I've ever seen.

Edit: I'm listening to a Necronomicon song on youtube and it turns out these guys are actually much more death metal than I originally thought. Still cool though.

Last edited by Spiner202; 06-28-2014 at 04:36 AM.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:25 AM
You can't save me any more than you can save yourself, so stop fucking trying

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignoftheHammer View Post
Both Fleshgod and Septicflesh were unbelievable, and it's awesome that Septicflesh played a few extra songs than I was expecting. Though I too was a little irked that the bass was just hung like a piece of decoration quite a bit of the time.
I was glad they played Pyramid God. Even though I saw them play it last time it's probably my favorite song off the Great Mass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiner202 View Post
Was it because someone broke a string? I thought the drummer stopped playing, and I couldn't figure out if he broke something on his kit, or if he was just completely fatigued. He looked like he was having a rough time in the second half of the set, and when he tested all his drums when they stopped "Pathfinder", it sounded like everything worked. In any case, I would actually have no issue if that's the reason they stopped, because that was probably the most physically demanding drum performance I've ever seen.
You're probably right. I didn't know the song but it sounded like they were having a hard time. I actually turned my back and walked off to the side of the venue as it fell apart. When I turned back everyone but the singer was off the stage.

Did anyone notice too that there were a lot of girls at this show? Like, a lot more.

Also, if anyone wants any of my shirts from my thread a few weeks ago PM me.I think Alduin wanted Suffocation and Carcass but I'll link to it here again when I get home. I'll just bring them to any show you and me are at.
03/07 - Video Games Live

Last edited by adamclark52; 06-28-2014 at 07:31 AM.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:07 AM
I got jumped by 2 thugs... they told me my battery was dead.

Quote:
Except during the intro to Pathfinder when the band stopped for some reason. The singer had to stall for about five minutes while they changed a guitar string or something. That really killed the good momentum they had going and it took a bit for them to get it back.
I'm pretty certain they play to a backing track, if not then at least a click track, so maybe they were having some issues with getting that to work properly. I know a lot of bands just lose momentum at times when they have issues with that kind of stuff (I remember Devin Townsend had to make the click track come out over the PA because of some issue and that made for an awkward set until they got it fixed).

It would be cool to see Septicflesh again, but they aren't a band that I would kick myself in the nuts over missing. I do really dig them, but not THAT much. Mainly would be stoked to FINALLY see Necronomicon. I only saw them one time, but that was only during one song and it was while I was walking to grab my friend to tell him we had to go since my van got broken in to, but that's a story I've told far too many times!)

- Funeral Age
facebook.com/funeralageofficial
funeralage.bandcamp.com
Old 06-29-2014, 10:19 AM
N00B

Quote:
This time I knew what to expect, so I was a little underwhelmed. And I donít know why Spiru Agnu or whatever the singers name is even bothers with a bass guitar. He doesnít even play it half the time.

reminds me of Kip Winger's bass playing or paul Stanley's guitar "playing"

but good to hear that they have their gear now!

Tags
black crown initiate, fleshgod apocalypse, necronomicon, septicflesh